Tire pressure embarrassment

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZrider

Reaction score
I've had the new Bridgestone 021's on for about 900 miles now and noticed a hum from the front tire at about 250 miles. Then slowly the bike started acting like the tire had flat spots on it. I noticed that it bobbled a bit going into corners and seemed like my wonderful hi-performance tires were going to hell quickly. When I got to work this morning I looked at the front tire and I had driven through some dust.......ahggggggggg! There was a flat spot about 45 degrees off axis from the center of the tire. Damn! I exclaimed, my wonderful 021's are wearing wierd. :unsure:

So, on the way back home I stopped at the dealer and asked about what we could do about the problem. He called a mechanic out and looked. Strange pattern, he muttered and then asked "when was the last time you checked the tire pressure? I didn't. I said. Heck I've only had them less than a month. He then grabbed his gage and yikes! 32 pounds in the front and 39 in the rear. He gave me "that look" and then filled them to 42 rear and 40 front. Ride on these and the tire should straighten out. :dribble:

I rode away red faced and red assed because my wonderfully handling, amazing BT-021's were now performing like new. I mention all of this not to depricate myself but for the benefit of those who might only check their tire pressure once in a while.........IT MAKES A BIG DAMN DIFFERENCE IN HOW THE BIKE PERFORMS AND HOW THE TIRES WEAR!

AZ

Ask odot about tire pressure. something like "9" will be his answer. :eek:

AZ,

You know the old saying - "Can't see the forest through the trees". Sometimes I overlook the obvious too and end up with pie on the face. Its usually because we're all so busy with work and family, we don't take a moment to really think about the problem. Glad you eventually (with some help) figured it out anyway!

Herkypilot

Last edited by a moderator:
I still got the record. Something like 72, if I remember correctly.

I still got the record. Something like 72, if I remember correctly.
Hey Scab, I am the guy who launched himself from the back of the pickup trying to 'seat the bead' on dirt bike tire while at a local gas station..

When the tire exploded, it sent me flying out of the truck bed onto the concrete, knocked myself out, when I came to, all traffic had stopped, and everyone was covering up... :rolleyes:

You mean you're supposed to put air in them things? :download: Seriously though, that is a good reminder, I don't know how often I go without checking my pressure, even though I know I should be checking it more often. B)

A tire can start cupping in a few hundred miles if it is underinflated, which is a days riding. Once they cup they stay that way. Check your pressures regularly, and before any long rides.

Hey Scab, I am the guy who launched himself from the back of the pickup trying to 'seat the bead' on dirt bike tire while at a local gas station..
When the tire exploded, it sent me flying out of the truck bed onto the concrete, knocked myself out, when I came to, all traffic had stopped, and everyone was covering up... :rolleyes:
That's gotta be better than Ex-lax for a little colon-cleansing!

I wonder why I will pull out my tire pump and check my bicycle before every ride but not my motorcycle?I guess thinking like my car it has a key and goes all is well.

I check my air pressure before, during, and after every ride... course that's no real big deal when you've got a Smartire monitor.... :rolleyes:

The only thing keeping you off the pavement are your tires, so I religiously check their pressures before every ride since I started riding (38/40 for my FJR). This is especially critical in summer, where a low pressure tire at high speed can result in a blowout. ALWAYS CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURES FOLKS. Later.

JC

Don't forget that winter is right around the corner, so make sure to change your tire air. If you keep that summer air in the tires you'll be doomed! :devil:

.........IT MAKES A BIG DAMN DIFFERENCE IN HOW THE BIKE PERFORMS AND HOW THE TIRES WEAR!AZ
Just a note to confirm this statement.

After reading this thread I went to the garage and pressurized my original Metzlers to 42/45. These tires have almost 9k miles on them and, although the tread still looks good, were requiring a lot of effort to turn-in. Pumping the tires as noted (they were rather low on pressure (but not 9)) has revived the way the bike feels and handles! Much better with proper tire pressures!

.........IT MAKES A BIG DAMN DIFFERENCE IN HOW THE BIKE PERFORMS AND HOW THE TIRES WEAR!AZ
Just a note to confirm this statement.

After reading this thread I went to the garage and pressurized my original Metzlers to 42/45. These tires have almost 9k miles on them and, although the tread still looks good, were requiring a lot of effort to turn-in. Pumping the tires as noted (they were rather low on pressure (but not 9)) has revived the way the bike feels and handles! Much better with proper tire pressures!
Keeping my tire pressure up just allowed me to get 12,541 miles out of my original Metzler.

I have noticed in my first month with the 021's that they do tend to slowly let pressure go on the faster range. I have found that I have to top mine off every other day to keep them up to snuff.