2005 Fjr Idle/constant Throttle Problem.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCRider

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here has some fresh ideas, because I'm out of them.

I have an 05 FJR, right after the TPS recall was done on the bike, I noticed the idle was "off", I thought initially this was a loose plug wire, so I had it into the dealer, and to their surprise it wasn't.

What we've found, is that under constant throttle, from 2k-8k, there is a "miss". I call it a "miss" cuz it's not really a miss as it's either unrecognizable at a jump from 2k to 9k RPM, or isn't there at all.

To make a long story short, the dealer has called in yamaha RSR in my area, and they've now replaced _everything_ short of the engine and internals themselves.

Two TPS's to my knowlege

ECU

O2 sensor

leak down test

coils/wires/plugs

The thing is, my bike _never_ idled or performed funny at all until the TPS change.

There is no perceptible loss in power, but if I've lost 10 horse, I don't know that I"d "feel" it. The bike runs fine otherwise, it's just this annoying miss....

I don't beleive it's surging, and it's definately not the tick.

The bike can be made to do this, in any gear, at a constant 2k through 6k, I haven't had the room to run a constant 8k in 2nd gear as of yet. :) The bike also "pops" a little in the exhaust from time to time, but it's not really reproducable constantly....I know it's not supposed to do that. The bike never did this before, and I run at verying RPM's all of the time.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, I'm near my wits end, it's been at the dealer now for 3 months (I wasn't riding it anyhow <a crime I know>), however, my fear is that the dealer/RSR will say that "This is just the way it is on the Gen 1's".

-Bob

When your dealer changed the TPS did he (unnecessarily) remove the FI rack to gain access to the TPS? Some dealers have done this and it could lead to O-Ring problems or assembly errors.

I suppose that's a distinct possibility, and I will ask. I'd imagine that since the RSR has been involved, that he would have re-assembled anything properly. I do know he's done a valve adjustment, and although I'm not totally sure what's involved, I"d imagine that'd require some disassembly of the upper end. So, if it's been removed, it's been removed and re-assembled several times.

-Bob

I'm hoping someone here has some fresh ideas, because I'm out of them.
I have an 05 FJR, right after the TPS recall was done on the bike, I noticed the idle was "off", I thought initially this was a loose plug wire, so I had it into the dealer, and to their surprise it wasn't.

What we've found, is that under constant throttle, from 2k-8k, there is a "miss". I call it a "miss" cuz it's not really a miss as it's either unrecognizable at a jump from 2k to 9k RPM, or isn't there at all.

To make a long story short, the dealer has called in yamaha RSR in my area, and they've now replaced _everything_ short of the engine and internals themselves.

Two TPS's to my knowlege

ECU

O2 sensor

leak down test

coils/wires/plugs

The thing is, my bike _never_ idled or performed funny at all until the TPS change.

There is no perceptible loss in power, but if I've lost 10 horse, I don't know that I"d "feel" it. The bike runs fine otherwise, it's just this annoying miss....

I don't beleive it's surging, and it's definately not the tick.

The bike can be made to do this, in any gear, at a constant 2k through 6k, I haven't had the room to run a constant 8k in 2nd gear as of yet. :) The bike also "pops" a little in the exhaust from time to time, but it's not really reproducable constantly....I know it's not supposed to do that. The bike never did this before, and I run at verying RPM's all of the time.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated, I'm near my wits end, it's been at the dealer now for 3 months (I wasn't riding it anyhow <a crime I know>), however, my fear is that the dealer/RSR will say that "This is just the way it is on the Gen 1's".

-Bob
How many miles are on the bike? I had a strange problem on a customers bike that turned out to be worn exhaust guides the leakdown test did not show the problrem and only after removing the top end did I find the problem. The bike in question was a honda and it had 30,000 miles on it. Maybe this will help.

How many miles are on the bike? I had a strange problem on a customers bike that turned out to be worn exhaust guides the leakdown test did not show the problrem and only after removing the top end did I find the problem. The bike in question was a honda and it had 30,000 miles on it. Maybe this will help.
That is good info, however, this sort of turned on like a lightswitch. I did mention it to the RSR, and he didn't seem to think it was an issue. He claims that if there's a problem with a valve, that we'll hear that tell tale "ticking" sound. When I initially reported the issue, there was 16.8K miles on the bike, or round abouts there, I just turned 20K recently.

I'm actually becoming _quite_ concerned that they're just going to tell me "that's the way it is" and "you'll just have to live with it". Noone at customer service seems to care, and the RSR is, of course, busy with other projects.

I wonder just how many other 2005 FJR's are in my area, and how many folks I could go visit to hear their bikes to see if they're making any noise what so ever.

This entire process has been long and drawn out, the dealer and the RSR have had my bike off and on since late June. Hell, I don't even know if they fully understand what I'm telling them, which is disconcerting in and of itself.

*sigh* I guess I'll end up being yet another loser who has a yamaha that makes some stupid noise, that noone will acknowlege exists....

-Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a noise or "misfire" that you have now. I kind of lost track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it a noise or "misfire" that you have now. I kind of lost track.
It sounds like extra fuel is being exploded in the exhaust. That's about the best way I can put it. Sometimes I'm getting backfires on heavy engine breaking, so coming down from 8K, quickly to a stop, she'll backfire.

If this all started with the TPS adjustment, my guess is that your mixture is just a bit off, possibly even for just one cylinder.

Have you checked your plugs lately for color and differences? Know any shops with an exhaust sniffer?

You might also check the O2 sensor to see if the electrical connection is tight and clean.

Appreciate yor keeping us up on progress!

Bob

If this all started with the TPS adjustment, my guess is that your mixture is just a bit off, possibly even for just one cylinder. Have you checked your plugs lately for color and differences? Know any shops with an exhaust sniffer?

You might also check the O2 sensor to see if the electrical connection is tight and clean.

Appreciate yor keeping us up on progress!

Bob
I did notice the unit running _quite_ rich this last time. I did mention it to the dealer, then the RSR will deal with it. Everytime I mention something to the RSR, he's sort of non-plushed about it.

I do know they've been over and over the electrical systems on the bike, I beleive they're replaced the O2 sensor, and messed with mixutre and so forth.

I also know they "ruled out" the plug wires by moving the wires from side-to-side, afaik, there's no way to test a plug wire.....

I don't know that they've done an exhaust sniffing test, but I almost can't imagine them not doing it at this point.

Like I said before, I'm feeling greatly disenfranchised as the process moves forward. How have you dealt with Yamaha customer support and your RSR in the past....apart from calling them over and over, and them saying to me "it sounds normal", how do you convince them otherwise?

Been away for the weekend, sorry for digging up what may've been a dying thread, but in answer...

I have an '04 that I do my own mx on and so I haven't had to deal with the RSR. Heck I'm seldom in a dealer.

But if I have something running pretty well and then after they have it the bike doesn't run right, I'd keep elevating the problem till I get somebody who really does listen. That RSR has a boss somewhere.

Bob

Been away for the weekend, sorry for digging up what may've been a dying thread, but in answer...
I have an '04 that I do my own mx on and so I haven't had to deal with the RSR. Heck I'm seldom in a dealer.

But if I have something running pretty well and then after they have it the bike doesn't run right, I'd keep elevating the problem till I get somebody who really does listen. That RSR has a boss somewhere.

Bob
That's what I thought as well, however, his boss doesn't seem to be located at the end of the 800# on yamaha's web site. I'm afraid I may be caught in some scary love triangle between the RSR, the dealer and myself. And I have a feeling I won't be satisfied in the end.

CC,

Are you 100% certain that what you are experiencing is not the "standard" lean surging that all 1st gens have? Your description could be of that. The surging feels like the engine is misfiring at random intervals.

I know my '05 surges at any constant rpms in the stock configuration. I have had to install a PCIII and disconnect the O2 sensor to reduce the surging to tolerable levels.

As to why your symptoms came on only after the TPS recall, that could be because you were actually running richer before the work and only now is it running "to spec"?

Not sure of your whereabouts, but maybe you can find some other '05 guys without PCIIIs and compare bikes. Of course that might be hard since a lot of us have already forked out the $$ and put in the PC.