Ignition Switch Failure Prevention

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T120TT

T120TT
Reaction score
I have an '06 and have removed the plastic ties securring the wiring harness feeding into the ignition switch. Hopefully this will prevent the infamous switch failure by allowing sufficient slack in the harness. The harness simply hangs loose now but doesn't interfere with anything. Would appreciate comments as to whether this will prevent the switch problem from occuring in the future.

Well, I have my failed ignition switch in my shop and hope to take it apart and photograph it today or tomorrow. If you clip the ties then what holds the soldered wire onto the PC board? There needs to be a choke of some sort. I think each of the two bundles of two ignition wires need to be zip tied independently, but I will confirm (or not) this theory with a post later this week.

I'd definitely NOT leave those wires unsecured. The bouncing of the wires would stress the solder joints over time, and it'd eventually fail as well; zipties are there for a reason. Just push the wires about 1/8" to 3/16" forward and install a new ziptie making sure it doesn't 'fall' into the deep groove left by the stock ziptie (you'll know what I'm talking about when you're there). All you need is enough slack to prevent tension in the wires, that's all. By the way, I removed the 2 zipties in that area (the one behind is not visible until first is removed), and only replaced the first one (grabbing all wires) thru the slit on a bracket visible from the left side, and not nearly as tight as stock. You can fix the problem in many ways; just do it. Take care.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
I spoke to an owner of a shop today that does warranty work on Yamaha's. I asked him about this very problem, I was told basically what we've been reading here about the wires coming off of the ignition switches on the earlier 06's are too short. He also said to check the wires out you need to watch the wire loom as you turn the handlebars completely to the left, and then completely to the right. You are looking for this group of ignition wires to become tight while the handlebars are turned, if you see this happening snip the wire tie holding the bundle too tightly to the frame of the motorcycle. JC is also correct when he said there is a small tie close to the group of wires going into the bottom of the switch. The only thing this small tie does is it keeps all of the ignition wires together, do not cut this wire tie, leave it alone.

I was also told basically there have not been enough failures for a re-call "YET". I did let him know of the growing number of failures I've seen on this forum. He told me he is aware of this and a few other problems, but basically he's not Yamaha and can't make any of those decisions.

When I first got my bike I added a new Tour Performance HR Triple Clamp so the handlebars are closer to me by another 1-1/2". This new tree was also designed where it has more relief cut into so it provides additional clearance for cables, hydraulic lines and wire looms. Since adding it to the bike I have quite a lot of slack on all of the wires coming up to the front feeding various switches. I guess if mine fails in the near future, this isn't the fix I thought it was.