Need Fast Advise On Leaking Tire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwhd

Reaction score
All,

I'm leaving very soon for a trip to the hill country in Tejas (known for rough chip sealed roads). I just noticed my rear Avon Storm has a slow leak (about 5-8 psi a day). The tire is just starting to show a bit of wear at 2,500 miles and has lots of life left.

In the short time I have before departure, I can:

1) Do nothing, just keep the portable pump handy and check it often

2) Pull the rear wheel and take it to the shop and have it checked (very difficult logistics in the time allowed but possible if I take off work)

If 2) reveals a defect in the tire (I can't see any with the naked eye) - my shop only has a Strada or a D220 on hand to replace the Storm. Should I run a mixed front Storm/rear Strada for the trip? Replace both?

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Roll the bike into a puddle and look for bubbles. Maybe the valve core needs to be tightened.

Don't forget that Avon has a Road Hazard Warranty that covers the tire through the first 1.4mm of wear. Check with your dealer. ;)

All,
I'm leaving very soon for a trip to the hill country in Tejas (known for rough chip sealed roads). I just noticed my rear Avon Storm has a slow leak (about 5-8 psi a day). The tire is just starting to show a bit of wear at 2,500 miles and has lots of life left.

In the short time I have before departure, I can:

1) Do nothing, just keep the portable pump handy and check it often

2) Pull the rear wheel and take it to the shop and have it checked (very difficult logistics in the time allowed but possible if I take off work)

If 2) reveals a defect in the tire (I can't see any with the naked eye) - my shop only has a Strada or a D220 on hand to replace the Storm. Should I run a mixed front Storm/rear Strada for the trip? Replace both?

Thoughts?

Install a new valve-stem. Period. If you don't have a puncture a tire with only 2500 miles on it will not leak at that rate, which is a rapid rate @ 6-8psi a day, in my opinion. Check the core for tightness as suggested above and replace the entire stem if core is tight.

Running an Avon & a Strada concurrently should be absolutely no problem. I myself have an Avon rear & a Strada front & there has been absolutely no handling issues. Actually, the Strada is an exceptionally good handling tire.

1) Check the Schraeder valve core w/ soapy water. If bubbling, try 'burping' the valve to free any debris. If still bubbling...

2) Remove and replace valve core with a new one. Re-inflate and repeat step 1).

Of course, closely inspect the tire tread for any nails, staples, glass, etc. Soapy water will help find any slow leaks.

Trouble shoot it before going to the dealership. Soapy water around the valve stem, look for bubbles. I had this issue with a set of PR's that I had put on a friends bike right before he came home from Iraq. We specified new valves stem at initial install, but dealership did not do it (lead tech said that he never does that, and he's been a motorcycle mechanic for 8 years!!). I did the dish soap test around the valve stem & sure enough, slow steady bubbles. 2 weeks after the purchase we wasted the better part of a saturday waiting for them to change out the valve stems...

Most likely valve stems, I would not travel with out figuring it out & repairing or replacing it.

Don't forget that Avon has a Road Hazard Warranty that covers the tire through the first 1.4mm of wear. Check with your dealer. ;)
+1

And I ran a Strada rear and storm front with no prob

Super glue the hole till you get back if time will not allow anything else.

To be more specific, you should buy a 'tire valve tool' (or a few) which costs a buck max, and check that the inner threaded valve inside the stem is tight. In fact, check ALL your vehicles, and then toss the little tool in your tool pouch if ever needed again. Cheap plastic valve caps can't hold the pressure, but good ones can.

Just wanted to mention this not as a possible cause (although it is), but as a safety (preventative) measure. Good luck.

JC

To be more specific, you should buy a 'tire valve tool' (or a few) which costs a buck max, and check that the inner threaded valve inside the stem is tight. In fact, check ALL your vehicles, and then toss the little tool in your tool pouch if ever needed again. Cheap plastic valve caps can't hold the pressure, but good ones can. Just wanted to mention this not as a possible cause (although it is), but as a safety (preventative) measure. Good luck.

JC
Had the shop check it and they replaced the valve stem which seems to be holding. Thanks all!