Stalling At Idle

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whybu1

Reaction score
Recently my FJR is stalling at low speed idle. A slight amount of throttle keeps it running fine. Not sure it is normal but idle seemsto be around 500rpm, but it sounds like it is not a smooth idle and rpms fluctuate. Mostly happens right at startup. Any thoughts?

Not sure it is normal but idle seemsto be around 500rpm
:blink:

Err, um, perhaps if the idle was set for 1,000 to 1,100 things would be better. That's spec, by the BIG book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Err, um, perhaps if the idle was set for 1,000 to 1,100 things would be better. That's spec, by the BIG book.
What he said.

Dude! Your idle is waaaaay too low. No wonder it's cutting off. Adjust your idle up to proper specs with the little knob on the right side under the frame.

OK guess it is time to break out the manual again and adjust the idle. :huh: Been gone 3 months so alzheimers is setting in. I thought 500 rpm seemed low.

Thanks for the info on where the knob is.

OK, I looked 4 times for an idle adjust knob. It isn't mentioned at all in the owners manual and nothing on the bike looks like the adjustment knobs I am used to. Can anyone be specific as to location and what it looks like or post a pic so I can find it? I ride an 04 if that matters.

Never mind I found it. Little gold knob. Should have Googled it first, had another thread from here with a pic. I love this site! :clapping:

It seems odd that your idle has dropped so much. Mine has not varied by more that 100 RPM in nearly 50k miles. Perhaps it's time for a new air filter, fresh spark plugs, and a TBS adjustment.

Good advice. I was thinking along those lines myself. Bike has been sitting for 2 months so not sure if it will "correct" itself after I drive it a bit. Still, prob is time for service on it anyway.

My bike idles at about 650 RPMs. I dose stall on occasion if I try to rev it up a bit just after it starts. If wait about 10 seconds after start up to rev it, it will not stall.

It's only a problem if its cold and I don’t give it a chance to get its stuff together 10 or 15 seconds before I try to use the throttle.

It seems odd that your idle has dropped so much. Mine has not varied by more that 100 RPM in nearly 50k miles. Perhaps it's time for a new air filter, fresh spark plugs, and a TBS adjustment.
Maybe someone has been playing with his knob while he's not looking? :D

My bike idles at about 650 RPMs. I dose stall on occasion...It's only a problem if its cold and I don’t give it a chance to get its stuff together 10 or 15 seconds before I try to use the throttle.
Why not just turn the little knobbie thingie a small bit and bring your idle up to the FSM spec of 1,000 to 1,100 rpm?

While this idle speed stuff is a nuisance to the standard FJR it is critical to the AE series and not to be taken too lightly.

When turning the idle adjustment knob on the '05 and earlier models it's helpful if you open the throttle with a twist of the grip before you turn the idle knob.

This raises the throttle cam tang off the the tip of the idle adjusting screw. The adjusting knob/screw turns easier with this load momentarily removed.

I wonder if it might be desirable to periodically put a drop or two of oil on the idle adjustment screw? While it's rarely turned the threads might benefit from a bit of corrosion protection.