Saddlebag Damage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percy

Reaction score
I would like to know if it is wiser to repair scratches and repaint the hard saddlebag or replace it. Is there a certain paint process I need to know about. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I have an '05 FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know if it is wiser to repair scratches and repaint the hard saddlebag or replace it. Is there a certain paint process I need to know about. Any recommendations will be greatly appreciated. I have an '05 FJR.
Hi percy, if the scratches aren't too substantial, I'll do it for $75 plus return shipping. You should remove the lid to save on shipping. PM me if you wish to pursue.

Depending on the severity of the damage it may be cheaper to repaint.

If you did like I did and started ripping mounts off, then it's time to replace.

FYI/FWIW: the ordering process for saddlebags through Yamaha is not typical and may require a little extra effort by whoever orders them (if you do it locally).

Keep an eye on the classifieds section. Bags pop up on a semi-regular basis.

[EDIT]

Imagine posting seconds after garauld!

I've done business with him - outstandingly fair!

Can you repair and paint any FJR lid? Hm...

Last edited by a moderator:
If the damage is not to bad, you should try to repair yourself. You can get the paint from Color Rite.

https://www.colorrite.com/CRPLmanYear.php?typeID=2

I got a can of paint and clear coat for the sliders I installed and they matched great. $70.00 for the paint and clear coat is a ton cheaper than a new bag.

Sliders2.jpg

If the scratches are not that bad, and hard to see , I'd likely not even mess with them. The day you put the newly painted lid back on will be the day you drop in in the garage and scratch it up again.

You might have seen those "bra's" they make for sports cars that cover up the front ? They sell well in the US , but most drivers in Europe don't buy them. They view the nicks and chips as battle scars and are proud of them. I feel the little scratches on my bike are a perhaps not a testement to my "attacks" on the asphalt, but serve as good reminders to watch what the hell I am doing when mounting my bike.

But if they just bug you, many car dealers have little bottles of touch up paint you can get for a few bucks. You just have to match your color up some. My 07 Miata in "Blue Mica" matches almost perfectly to my 06 Cobalt Blue FJR. (I got the touch up paint for free from the dealer)

If you can smooth out the scratches by sanding or compound, I'd repaint. I just did a Corbin smuggler in '07 Black Cherry using Colorite paint and the match is perfect. If you don't spray with your own equipment, check with a good body shop and see what kind of a deal they'll make you if you bring the bag in ready to shoot.

Hi percy, if the scratches aren't too substantial, I'll do it for $75 plus return shipping. You should remove the lid to save on shipping. PM me if you wish to pursue.

I scratched a side bag on my '07 when I cut a corner too close in a parking lot and kiced some giant ass planter they have sitting there. I found out it was much cheaper to take it to a local body shop an dhave them repair and paint it then it was to replace it. I gave them the paint information from Color Rite (who they told me actually makes most bike paint). Anyhow - turned out just like new. Once you start pricing out all the parts and peices you need you'll probably come to the same conclusion.

If I were you I would send it to Garauld.

If it's reallly bad, call University Motors in Fargo, ND to order a new one.