O.M.G., FJR is near match to Hayabusa performance?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasyRider

Reaction score
I did not know our FJRs are a near match in 0 to 60 and quarter mile times to the Hayabusa. :huh:

I'm using a G2 throttle cam to reduce the throttle response, but I did not know my bike chose is so close in power to the Hayabusa famed incredible power.

Link to source information on Cycle world

Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

Price $10,999

Dry weight 530 lbs.

Wheelbase 58.5 in.

Seat height 31.0 in.

Fuel mileage 32.4 mpg

0-60 2.5 sec.

1/4-mile 10.06 sec.

@ 140.38 mph

Horsepower 158.9 hp

@ 9800 rpm

Torque 98.2 ft.-lbs.

@ 6950 rpm

Top speed 183 mph

Ups

Mountain motor

Agile enough for track days

Modern-day cult bike

Surely, I'm not going that fast...

Downs

Rapidly evaporating rear tire

Corners come up a lot faster than on other bikes

"License and registration, please..."

Yamaha FJR1300

Price (as tested) $13,199

Dry weight 609 lbs.

Wheelbase 59.8 in.

Seat height 31.2 in.

Fuel mileage 38.2 mpg

0-60 2.8 sec.

1/4-mile 10.93 sec.

@ 123.48 mph

Horsepower 124.7 hp

@ 7850 rpm

Torque 88.3 ft.-lbs.

@ 7025 rpm

Top speed 154 mph

Ups

Gold Wing/Hayabusa love child?

Gearbox practically shifts itself

Up, down, in between, tilt windshield flat works

Downs

Footpegs grind a little early

An OD sixth might be nice

Why no helmet locks?

Where do I plug in my radar detector and electric vest

Another ham-cooker in hot weather

I did not know our FJRs are a near match in 0 to 60 and quarter mile times to the Hayabusa. :huh:
Suzuki GSX1300R Hayabusa

0-60 2.5 sec.

1/4-mile 10.06 sec.

@ 140.38 mph

Yamaha FJR1300

0-60 2.8 sec.

1/4-mile 10.93 sec.

@ 123.48 mph

If you call a 10.06 a "near match" to a 10.93 sec 1/4 mile, you haven't spent much time at the dragstrip.

The Busa is a device to transmit horsepower to the ground. The FJR does the same thing more smoothly and with greater comfort. Acceleration and top speed is compromised in the process, but it's an efficient trade-off, IMHO.

I'd bet, as a collective average, FJR's get ridden more. I've never seen a Busa outside of city limits that wasn't parked. There's one in a town we protect, and it's ALWAYS parked in front of the house where it lives. I've never seen it not there when we drive by.

A tenth is a car length. eight or nine of 'em makes for a hell of a distance to yell as to how you're almost as fast.

Yes I see there is quite a difference at the end of the strip, however I would venture to bet that if you were to line the two bikes up side by side with EQUAL riders aboard I'll bet the times would be a lot closer. I would think the FJR is a lot easier to launch and get hooked up than a busa, and I'll bet that busa doesn't turn those numbers with my fat ass on it. JMHO P/S the busa and 14's reign may be over shortly anyway, I'm sure that soon the debut of the new VMAX will have something to say about 1320 times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see from the info that the FJR is slower when taking the best of three runs at the drag strip using expert drag race riders.

But on the street an experienced FJR rider could take or match a less experienced Hayabusa rider.

Either way, the FJR is no slouch.

Having owned both, I can truthfully state that the FJR will only see the Busa's taillights on the straights. That said, I think the feej turns and brakes much better than the Busa. It's also better at carrying you and a lot of your stuff to your favorite destination.

I’m was taken by surprise by these numbers because I did on realize that I bought a bike that is so close to the accelerating power of the famed Hayabusa.

The FJR really rocks. :yahoo:

I’m was taken by surprise by these numbers because I did on realize that I bought a bike that is so close to the accelerating power of the famed Hayabusa.
The FJR really rocks. :yahoo:

You are dreaming.

Ever ridden a Busa?

They EAT FJR's....

Thank you.

I suggest you try and out accelerate a Busa on an FJR, you won't be in the running, not even close.

+1

The FJR is certainly no slouch, but also no match for any late model large displacement sportbike. A modern liter sportbike will be out of the FJRs line of sight before it hits the top of second gear. If you believe otherwise, you've never ridden a modern sportbike. My first year R1 would crush an FJR, and a late model R1 would do the same to my first year. New literbikes are frighteningly fast. The FJR is just fast.

Sorry folks no contest. The Hayabusa is way way ahead in power and handling. It revs 2000 rpm's higher, and has more torque down low.

The FJR is much much more comfortable for long trips, but it would get it's lunch eaten on a drag strip or a road course.

I shift out of 2nd gear at about 110mph, you will still see my tail lights if you are lucky when I shift out of 3rd.

The FJR does rock, but the Busa rockets.

Zoltan

You know why do I respond to these kinds of posts; ok I'm a whore! I didnt stay at a Holliday Inn last night but I was able to beat a 1200 Bandit in a drag up to a speed I am not going to admit to :) . Of course a Bandit aint a Busa or any other brand of SS. I pity the fool who puts his/her FJR up against an SS.

The FJR is the bastard offspring of a Goldwing and a 'Busa. It does neither as well, but both good enough. I like my lil bastid :p

Here is a quote from the speed wagon article

"This bike has the magic combination of power, comfort, fuel range, carrying capacity and handling that a Speed Wagon should have," asserted Hoyer. "While the big Yam doesn't have Hayabusa-class power (what does?!), this is a refined, powerful engine with immense reserves of torque. Fully loaded with passenger and bags, the rear-spring-preload 'switch' set to Hard, Elaine was comfortable as a passenger and I truly had fun as the rider. It was easy to steer, offered great chassis feedback and fired out of corners like the secret superbike that it is."

Great description of the FJR, it is truly an awesome bike. It does what it does very well. It doesn't have Busa class power(what does). ZX-14

Zoltan Busa boy

The FJR is certainly no slouch, but also no match for any late model large displacement sportbike. A modern liter sportbike will be out of the FJRs line of sight before it hits the top of second gear. If you believe otherwise, you've never ridden a modern sportbike. My first year R1 would crush an FJR, and a late model R1 would do the same to my first year. New literbikes are frighteningly fast. The FJR is just fast.

Friend bought a CBR1000RR a couple of years ago and was THOROUGHLY pissed off when he couldn't keep up with FJR off the line or in the twisties. Only lasted a couple of months - once he figured out how much throttle to apply (rather than grabbing too much then chopping it when the front wheel lifted) off the line and in/through/out of the corners and sorted his suspension a bit, all he showed me were taillights. It was fun watching him shake his head while it lasted though...

Last year, someone commented that they took one to the track and timed in the low 11's. Said he was at the end of 3rd gear at the end of the 1/4. So, how do you only achieve just 30 more mph w/ 2 gears left. Seems like it should top end higher than that.

Last year, someone commented that they took one to the track and timed in the low 11's. Said he was at the end of 3rd gear at the end of the 1/4. So, how do you only achieve just 30 more mph w/ 2 gears left. Seems like it should top end higher than that.
That's easy, the amount of power required to push through the wind @ high speed gets greater.

Some one may be able to explain it better but simply say you have 150hp and a top speed of 150mph

You may only need 50hp to reach 100mph but to get that extra 50mph will require the remaining 100hp.