Leaking rearend on an 07 - normal?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurtfriedrich

Reaction score
So I have 650 miles on this 07, and the left side of my rear wheel has greesy crud around the inside of the rim, just about like a bike with a chain would have. Is this normal for a new bike?

wheelJPG.jpg

Yep.

Mine did it until I did the rear end spline lube service - this is from an excess of grease on the splines.

Nuttin' to worry 'bout.

The first time you change the rear tire, clean the splines well, and then lube with Honda Moly 60 grease. Problem goes away.

I have ~18k miles and mine weeps a little bit from the weep hole in front of where the pumpkin bolts on.

I have ~18k miles and mine weeps a little bit from the weep hole in front of where the pumpkin bolts on.
You may have a leaking seal where the shaft plugs into the rear drive unit. Keep an eye on the oil level in the rear drive.

You may have a leaking seal where the shaft plugs into the rear drive unit. Keep an eye on the oil level in the rear drive.

I *think* I may have over filled it a tad... It leaked/weeped pretty bad on they way too and during EOM.

I was marking my spot every time we stopped, I checked it a couple days ago and it was still 'full'.

When I changed the rear end fluid last time I realized after the fact that the bike wasn't level on my driveway. <_< But I'll keep an eye on it.

My new 07 did the same thing. I wiped it all off when I did my 600 mile service and now at 1400 miles there's been no more sign of grease on the wheel. There is plenty of sign of road grime on the rear wheel (and the entire bike for that matter), but it's from all that damn rain we've already gotten this fall :angry2:

check where the drive shaft leaves the swing arm on the left and enters the hub unit there is seal in there. On my '06 mine failed at 10500 km's ( just over 6k miles). there is a tell tale hole beneath the box tube of the swing arm. if there is oil there you have the same problem i had... $300 USD parts and labour, still fighting for warrantee.

let us know how you make out

I also freaked out when my rear wheel was messy after only 100 miles. Cleaned it, and other than very minor oil specs, it's fine now, so yes, it's got to be overly lubed splines indeed.

Just cleaned it again after my last (2nd) mountain trip, at 780 miles, and drain plug was an oily mess (but no dripping). Cleaned everything real well to see if oil is seeping from there (crush washer was stuck, but will replace it for an aluminum one if it's the culprit on the next change), or if it was just road grime. Later.

JC

I cleaned and lubed the rear drive/driven splines when I did my 600mi service. I used Mobile 1 Synthetic bearing grease. No mess. No problems. I check it when I changed the rear tire and everything still looked new inside.