overheating - just low sided (right).

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ESPrider

Reaction score
Hey,

I had the unfortunate experience of being struck on the right side by a car in traffic and the bike toppled on to its right side.

I picked up the bike, (there was minimal damage to the fairing and bags) and rode home.

On the way, I ran into 20 minutes of traffic and the bike started to overheat. Started to smoke and spurt radiator fluid.

I pushed the bike out of traffic, waited, started it again and rode home - 0 problems.

I'm worried that something may have happened to the bike.

I removed the right fairing panel to check the fluid level and it was 0. I added some radiator fluid, started the bike for 20 minutes and the were no leaks. But the engine got hot after 25 minutes, so I turned it off.

What do you think ?

Thanks in advance.

ESP

esprider at gmail dot com

Um, how does one get hit on the right side and have the scoot fall on the right side?....unless it did a 270?

If you simply looked at the reservoir on the right side of the bike that is only the coolant overflow/coolant recovery bottle. That could have gotten emptied if the bike were tipped over. Unfortunately, adding coolant to the recovery bottle does NOT fill the system and is no guarantee at all that the system has coolant in it.

You need to access the "radiator cap" under the plastic panel on the left side of the bike to check and see if there is coolant in the system and fill it if necessary. That would be the first thing I would do is to check the pressure cap on the left side under the black plastic panel toward the rear of the fairing.

If you are sure the system is full then idle the engine. Watch for leaks. The electric coolant fan should come on as 4 or 5 bars show on the coolant temp guage. If the fan doesn't come on it may have been damaged in the accident and needs to be serviced.

Given that the bike was hit, fell and is overheating I would recommend getting it to a knowlegeable service center for checkout. Not the time for a do-it-yourself learning experience, necessarily. Since the water pump and a lot of the related coolant plumbing is on the right side down low something could have gotten damaged/pinched in the accident that is causing the problem. Impossible to tell, really, without more info.

The engine is probably OK, BTW, even if it did show signs of overheating. If you shut it off when it overheated it didn't likely hurt anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me guess, hit by a midget car? Was he in a clown suit? Large red nose?

I was in the left lane, light turned green and got to the next light, when the guy in the right lane decided to go left. I held down the horn, but I couldn't readily stop since I was accelerating - I wasn't going all that fast, but the guy clipped me... I'm not sure where..I think it was my saddlebad.. it was all so fast. All I know is that I was facing the pavement and slid about 10 feet. He had damage to his BMW X3 in the front left quarter panel, between the wheel well and ahead of the drivers door.

No one stopped and he had a witness in the car. I've been here before - it would have been my fault. So we traded information, but I know there's nothing the cops would have done for me - other than raise my insurance by reporting an accident.

I was wearing an Aerostich and have no injuries. The bike turned on and rode like a champ until I sat in traffic. Fan runs. There are no leaks. I filled the radiatior when I ran the test in my driveway.

The suit looks perfect. The helmet doesn't have a scratch. The right side of the bike looks like shit, but is still functional. The saddlebag functions well. The turn signal looks great, the bars are fine ok except the for the end which fell off (I think it may have been loose to begin with) . My boots (bmw transition) are good. Gloves are good. (lee parks).

No idea how I fell... thank my lucky stars that everything is basically ok. Thanks for all your advice.

ESP

I'm not trying to be dick here, but either your lying to us and low-sided it on your own, or you are freeking crazy for not getting the cops involved!

He made an illegal turn and hit you...... Not all cops are geniuses (no offense to my brother, pony, and FJRpig) but even the donut munchers can usually figure out what happened by questioning all invovled parties and looking at the damage.

Good luck with repairs either way.

Oh and if you are going to check the coolant, make sure the bike has cooled down first before removing the radiator cap. (You probably already know that...)

Geezer - We traded info, but in my past experience with NYC's finest, it's the bike's fault. This isn't the first time I've gotten bitten riding, it's just been a while and the first time with my relatively new FJR. (I've only had the bike for a couple months). Like I said, there were no witnesses. No one stopped. He had a passenger in his car, that would be a witness for him. There were no cops. No marks in the street. I wasn't dripping in blood. There was no spill of fluid on the ground. There wasn't even any cracked lenses/depris. From the times that I've interacted with the cops in NY, it's fairly clear... they don't care. They'll hit the bike up with a ticket for reckless and the insurance goes up. Case closed. Thanks..mine is fine the way it is. My sore shoulder and side will heal. The few dollars I'll spend on fixing my bike with used parts or mending it will be just fine, I don't need dealer investment dollars.

The guy who hit me, well - he claims no responsibility (even though I had my horn down and it was from behind). So what am I supposed to do? Fight it? I don't have the money or time for that. I work 2 jobs, getting divorced and my bike is my only method of transportation. Not to mention that my last bike just died because of a manufacturers defect at 22k miles, but BMW said they lost my maintenance records and that if I want to fix it because it's out of warranty, they'll offer my a 30% discount on parts. Further, if this is my choice of course - who are you (proverbial) to tell me I'm doing the wrong thing.

Keith - I have no reason to lie to anyone. I just got banged and I'm asking for some advice. If all you have to offer is a snear, snicker and poke - keep it. Yeah, I figured out the radiator part... no it's not my first bike, car or fork lift for that matter.... I've got a couple miles under my belt thanks. I hope that you meant that with a smile - because I doubt you would say something like that in person or you really would be a dick.

You know, I'm just thankful that I'm ok. I'm not trying to make anyone pay. I've seen friends die and I've broken bones... this wasn't all that bad in comparison. It was simply an accident and I can accept that. I just want to get on my way again. Why is that so hard to understand? I thank g-d that it wasn't worse.

I've driven in NYC many times. I know how people drive there and I understand how some idiot could turn left from the right lane and simply assume that you are going to yield. Drivers there generally only watch the front of their vehicle and maybe a foot or two back from the front bumper. But, if you were already even with the front of his car before he turned he should have seen you.

You say the guy that hit you claims that he is not at fault. OK, no surprise there, but if he isn't taking the blame then he is absolutely going to try to collect from your insurance company. No matter what you do, you insurance is going to find out. If you don't report it to them first they are going to wonder why. No way you're going to get them to believe that someone hit you, not your fault, but you didn't bother to report it.

NYC cops can be very complacent and just don't want to take the time to deal with traffic incidents. Some are dicks and some are good guys, pretty much the same as any other profession. At this point it's too late to get a cop to take a report at the scene, but your insurance company is going to want to see a police report after they get that call from the BMW driver trying to collect for his bent fender.

Would it be a good idea to call your insurance company and make a statement with the full understanding that you aren't submitting a claim? That way, if he does try to report it, at least you have your side of the story documented.

Since you gotta remove the tupperware to get into the radiator cap, you should be able to see if there is any visual damage to any of the lines that might have gotten pinched in the drop.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Thank you for your kind words. I superficially checked the bike, but I didn't see any damage under the covers. I'm going to check with the insurance company as per your advice. I've just grown tired of dealing with the Ins. and Police... Thanks, ESP.

Hey ESP,

So sorry to hear of your misfortune. I also had my bike damaged recently and they admitted fault and we are keeping it off the grid ; he is getting me 4 new panels online, and I am very OK with that. I have full coverage and its also my only transportation, and I'm poor...SSI poor, and believe me we are in a minority as FJR owners, ( I was an engineer before my heart got mad and attacked me..9 times no less! ). But the folks on this board are really great people..even Odot will ocassionally offer advice that is useful..cuz a smile is always useful ! Anyway, best of luck to you and keep your chin up, you already know you are blessed...as are we all on here ! No Chit Mang !

A Grinning Foo',

Bobby

I have to agree with Geezer and Randy. report - no claim = C.Y.A.

Glad you are OK

And I know people ar DA drivers. I had a woman make an illegal left in front of a 24 foot long crew cab dually truck. It took off my front bumper. A cop saw the whole thing. I was covered. wish you were.

Is you find any damage I saw an 03 (wrecked) pop up in the classified here $2k for the whole or will part out. check it out if you need something.

First of all, I'm glad to hear you're ok, and nothing serious was broken (head, neck, back, pelvis, femur).

Next, file report with the police and call your insurance company. If you don't it will be ASSUMED that you're at fault because you didn't report it.