HELP!! What tool to remove seat lock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eworth

Reaction score
HELLO,

Need the wisdom of the list and hope I'll get the answer I need here. :huh:

Am installing the new Powerlet dual rearset outlet that secures as a shroud around the seat lock.

The seat lock is secured by two bolts with strange heads on them. They look like a allen head with a small round peg/post in the center. I've never seen such a tool before.

Can someone identify the tool , the correct size tool I need and where I might find it on the web?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark aka Eworth :good:

Your description sounds like a "security torx." If so, it is more of a 'star' than an 'allen.' You can purchase them at Sears.

I can't be more specific than that. I don't even have an FJR to look at anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
HELLO,
Need the wisdom of the list and hope I'll get the answer I need here. :huh:

Am installing the new Powerlet dual rearset outlet that secures as a shroud around the seat lock.

The seat lock is secured by two bolts with strange heads on them. They look like a allen head with a small round peg/post in the center. I've never seen such a tool before.

Can someone identify the tool , the correct size tool I need and where I might find it on the web?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mark aka Eworth :good:

Haven't looked. Is it like this:

clicky for tool

YES, it does look like that. Now, just to find out what size the tool is. Anyone know????

A Security Torx, learning something new every day.!!!

Haven't looked. Is it like this:

clicky for tool

YES, it does look like that. Now, just to find out what size the tool is. Anyone know????
A Security Torx, learning something new every day.!!!

Hmmm... well it isn't listed in the "special tools" list in the FSM. Guess it isn't special enough. And the parts list just calls them "screws, special shape". So what, is it special or not?

I can't find it any where in the FSM. Maybe you could hold up a non-security Torx bit next to it to get the size?

I have a Fastenal in town. I'll try to get an idea as to the correct size and then order several in close sizes to make sure I get the correct one.

Thanks,

Mark

I have a Fastenal in town. I'll try to get an idea as to the correct size and then order several in close sizes to make sure I get the correct one.
Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

As I recall, those come in fairly large increments, so you should be able to eyeball it and get close with a few bits. They are also not that expensive so long as you already have a bit driver.

Just buy a set. There are others on the feej. Of note, there are some on the bottom of the side case locks. And if you haven't already checked those and put some Locktite on them, you might want to. They have somewhat of a reputation for coming loose and getting lost in transit.

Sounds like that would just be the easiest. I'll get some tomorrow.

Thanks,

Eworth

Just buy a set. There are others on the feej. Of note, there are some on the bottom of the side case locks. And if you haven't already checked those and put some Locktite on them, you might want to. They have somewhat of a reputation for coming loose and getting lost in transit.

.........or, break out the drill and drill that center part out....take pics, too...don't need no stinkin' security on a screw.

.........or, break out the drill and drill that center part out....take pics, too...don't need no stinkin' security on a screw.

I think the concept is to keep miscreants from just carrying around a set of torx wrenches and removing your seat lock.

Now they have to carry around a set of "security" torx wrenches too... :blink:

You asked----It's a T30 Security Torx head screw for the seat lock. Early in the morning but I guess I wanted to know also, so out to the garage to check it. If I remember right, the side case lock screws are T10 Security Torx screws & yes many of those have fallen out because they weren't installed with thread locker as the instruction book says. I picked up a small set of Security Torx bits (T10- to T35) at Advanved or Pep Boys or Auto Zone or some auto supply store. Habour Freight has a set of every type of security bits known to modern man (Torx, Sloted, Phillips, hex, etc). FYI, Honda bikes have a different security screw in their seat locks. The screw head has a hex sticking out on top of it and after screwing it down tite, you break off the hex, which has an undercut just under the hex. Then it's just a buttonhead screw with no slot so it is harder to remove. Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Well, Gunny, Woof, +1, or what they said. Security Torks screws are becoming pretty common, might as well get a whole set.

The reason for this post is to mention that when in doubt of a wrench size like your unknown Security Torks screw head, you can make a pencil rubbing of the screw/bolt head and use that to size up the correct tool.

I called the dealership today before finding your reply with the correct info. Yep, a T30 Security Torx. Ordered a set from T10 -T35 or so for $10.00. Will arrive at NAPA tomorrow.

Thank you..

Eworth

You asked----It's a T30 Security Torx head screw for the seat lock. Early in the morning but I guess I wanted to know also, so out to the garage to check it. If I remember right, the side case lock screws are T10 Security Torx screws & yes many of those have fallen out because they weren't installed with thread locker as the instruction book says. I picked up a small set of Security Torx bits (T10- to T35) at Advanved or Pep Boys or Auto Zone or some auto supply store. Habour Freight has a set of every type of security bits known to modern man (Torx, Sloted, Phillips, hex, etc). FYI, Honda bikes have a different security screw in their seat locks. The screw head has a hex sticking out on top of it and after screwing it down tite, you break off the hex, which has an undercut just under the hex. Then it's just a buttonhead screw with no slot so it is harder to remove. Later,,, De :rolleyes:

FWIW, I purchased THIS SET of security bits on eBay for other work that I do (hard drives). Works great, and nice price. No affiliation, etc.