What is that noise???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

formerly "herfjr"
Reaction score
Lately I've noticed that my front forks are squeeking and creaking. I've had the bike up on the centerstand with the back weighted down, I pulled on the forks to see if there was any play and there was none. The bike seems to be steering fine and handling well. I just don't think that the noise is normal so naturally, I am concerned. I first noticed it when I took it off of the sidestand. I thought maybe it was the spring in the sidestand. It's not though. I can tell it's in the forks.

So, are my springs bad?

Also, I just recently tightened my front suspension. Would that have anything to do with the noise?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks in advance.

-Iris

Lately I've noticed that my front forks are squeeking and creaking. I've had the bike up on the centerstand with the back weighted down, I pulled on the forks to see if there was any play and there was none. The bike seems to be steering fine and handling well. I just don't think that the noise is normal so naturally, I am concerned. I first noticed it when I took it off of the sidestand. I thought maybe it was the spring in the sidestand. It's not though. I can tell it's in the forks.So, are my springs bad?

Also, I just recently tightened my front suspension. Would that have anything to do with the noise?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks in advance.

-Iris

Iris,

By "tightened the front suspension" do you mean you increased the preload setting? If so, that should not be a problem or part of your noise.

Yes...I tightened the suspension. I increased the preload setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing is rubbing on the forks or swingarm? The front fender is tight? Check the screws, they've been reported coming loose.

If all else fails, try backing the front springs out 1/2 line or so and see if the noise changes or goes away. I'd hate to think that's it, but who knows.

Iris,

You may have raised the idle position of the forks, causing the seals and bushings to sit in a previously, mostly, unused area of the fork tubes. In other words, the tubes are "newer" near the top where they have not been traveling.

Try spraying some dry silicone spray on the fork tubes. Wipe them thoroughly with a dry cloth after spraying. Then work the forks up and down and see if the noise changes.

The only other thing that comes to mind is IF you have closed the clickers way down. Sometimes the fork fluid will squeal or squeak if it is passing through almost closed valves.

Jeff

Thanks. Those are all good suggestions......I will try all of the above.

-Iris

Thanks. Those are all good suggestions......I will try all of the above.-Iris
Hey, this is one of the first posts I've seen lately that no smartbutts chimed in with a stupid comment.....so I had to :lol: . I like the ones with the advice and all seriously.

Ooh, I hate forcing my fluid thru almost closed valves. That is just plain painful... even just reading it.

Browndog, historically the guys are usually pretty nice to the girls unless the men are properly provoked.

Yes...I tightened the suspension. I increased the preload setting.
Hi, My forks on my new 2007 AE clunk and creak upon compression. Yamaha in Hollywood are taking them apart. They say its a common problem but they don't know what it is. I was kind of pissed as its been 2 weeks at the dealer now, but last weekend they gave me a brand new FZ1 to drive - right off the showroom floor. I hope to get my bike back this weekend.

FYI They are also changing the ECU to fix the altitude problem.

Hi, My forks on my new 2007 AE clunk and creak upon compression. Yamaha in Hollywood are taking them apart. They say its a common problem but they don't know what it is. FYI They are also changing the ECU to fix the altitude problem.
Please do 2 things once you find the answer to your fork problem.

1) Tell us by posting here.

2) Go to "FAQs and Common Historical Info" page and click on "Rickster", the author and send him a PM telling him of the problem, or do a new post under that thread. That way Rick will see it and add it to the "Bib-O'-Facts for the NewGen bikes.

I've got the same thing on my '03. After plenty of checking and listening, it's the outer dust seals against the forks. It sounds like rubber sqeaking. I'm going to try the clean up with silicone spray on the forks.

I checked all of it and everything is completely solid up there. It's the outer, upper dust seal, (the one you can see).

I hope the silicone helps.

I will post the solution once I discover what it it is.

It's almost definitely the springs inside the forks.

I am bringing it to the dealer next week....so, I'll keep you all posted.

I will post the solution once I discover what it it is. It's almost definitely the springs inside the forks.

I am bringing it to the dealer next week....so, I'll keep you all posted.

Iris,

Not sure if you're planning on paying the dealer for the privilege of gazing at your trusty steed, but have you already tried un-doing the fork preload adjustment that you dialed in most recently to see if it was related? Sure would be worthwhile based on the Prentice rule (always look for the MRFWU).

I've got the same thing on my '03. After plenty of checking and listening, it's the outer dust seals against the forks. It sounds like rubber sqeaking. I'm going to try the clean up with silicone spray on the forks.
I checked all of it and everything is completely solid up there. It's the outer, upper dust seal, (the one you can see).

I hope the silicone helps.
Dirt riders use an extremely expensive tool that comes in handy, a common paper business card. Work it under the outer dust seal, between the seal and the fork tube. Then work it around the circumference of the seal/tube to see if you can "fish out" any noticeable particles. If there's crap stuffed in there then the seal is bad. But sometimes there is a small particle or a small patch of crud that can be wiped out with the business card.

I've seen dirt riders use camers film as well. Its already curved so its a bit easier to get between the seal and the fork leg.

I don't think it's dirt in the seal area. The forks are dry and clean.

I believe it's the springs I hear creaking. I will back off the tension on them as suggested. I'll go out in the garage and do it right now. I have to admit, it was soon after I changed the settings for the preload when I noticed the noise.

I'll be right back......

Hey, this is one of the first posts I've seen lately that no smartbutts chimed in with a stupid comment.....so I had to :lol: . I like the ones with the advice and all seriously.
Here, lemme fix that.

Move your bike forward or backward. Thus allowing the cat to remove it's tail from beneath the tire.

Happy now?

Oh, and I prefer wiseass

:jester:

The noise seems to be gone now!

Ok...so here's what I did. I released the tension again....but then i noticed something else. I saw that the black plate that has the little abs thingy in it wasn't sitting in the notched part of the wheel properly. So I loosened the wheel and adjusted it so it sat in the right spot and then retightened the wheel. I forgot to mention previously that I changed my tires just recently.

Then, no more noise! So then I set the preload back to the firmer setting and still...no noise!

I think it was the black plate thingy.

I know, I have a hard time remembering what things are actually called.....sorry 'bout that. But now I don't have to bring my bike to the dealer and I don't care if I can't remember the names of things.

Moral of the story: when you are changing your tires, make sure you pay attention to how things go back together. It's helpful that Jim's bike is in the garage right next to mine so that I can compare the two.

Best thing to get to figure out the names of the thingies is an owners manual. Also helps you work on them too, torque specs, service intervals etc. That way you can cut out all those trips to the dealer and feel good about yourself knowing you did the work. And not to mention your wallet feels alot better as well. PM. <>< :D ;)