Engine trouble Light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topspeed

Reaction score
I took the fjr on a 3600 mile trip the middle of this summer. Sometime into the afternoon, (100 degree weather, interstate riding- 6+ hours) the engine trouble light came on. I was going in the vicinity of 85 mph and had my vista cruise locked. The minute I saw the light I started to swear, flicked off the cruise and started moving towards the side of the interstate. And then the light went off... I had gotten down to about 65 at this point so I continued on, keeping my eye on that light. It came on a few more times as the afternoon and evening progressed each time was when the cruise had been locked on for a while and as soon as I took turned off the cruise and moved the throttle the engine light would go off. Without the cruise on the light didn't seem to come on. I rode the rest of the way with no cruise and never saw the light again. Nor has this reoccurred during the rest of the riding season (but then my longest ride since then hasn't been more then 300 miles either).

Fast foward to tonight. I was sitting around the house bored and decided now would be a good time to take a look at the error codes and determine what really happened. The diagnostic threads talk about the error codes being on the bottom right, but that is where the dg:01 etc are on my 07. I do find numbers just above where the engine trouble light is on the LCD. If these are the trouble codes then does anyone know what a 32 in the history means? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IIRC, Code 32 is the O2 sensor. You failed to mention if you have a PC III. If so, this is one of the little "issues" that arise. At least its been reported before.

You might wait to get confirmation or do a search for the code. I'd use Google and type in "O2 sensor site:fjrforum.com" to see if I'm correct.

If so, reset the codes as per intructions in the "Bin-O-Facts".

Thank you MM2. No PCIII here. I'll try to search you mentioned. Anyone else? Is MM2 correct? and since I don't have the power commander how big a deal is this?

was going in the vicinity of 85 mph and had my vista cruise locked. The minute I saw the light I started to swear, flicked off the cruise and started moving towards the side of the interstate. And then the light went off... I had gotten down to about 65 at this point so I continued on, keeping my eye on that light. It came on a few more times as the afternoon and evening progressed each time was when the cruise had been locked on for a while and as soon as I took turned off the cruise and moved the throttle the engine light would go off.
These are the exact symptoms that have been reported. The ECU on the bike measures the throttle movement every few seconds. It could be that a "steady" throttle for a long time is causing the ECU to register this code.

I agree, let someone else confirm, but if it is coming on and then going off, it just means the "code" is being registerred. Hopefully it will be as simple as erasing the code, though the problem may still persist. If not, its off to the dealer...you did buy the extended warranty, right? Or, maybe its still under the OEM 1 year warranty.

[SIZE=12pt]Okay, you techno-geek-owners, POST UP![/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Still under 1st year warranty and bought the YES just to be sure. So far from what I've read on the topic you posted MM2 it looks like that error code for the PCIII was actually 24. Still reading though :blink:

Looks like the techno-geek-owners are all asleep, however. So, guess I'll have to wait until morning for more info.

:p And here I was thinking that nobody on this board ever slept

I do believe these codes are registered in the owners manual. I don't have time to look now but if no one comes up with it I can check it out tomarrow afternoon. PM. <>< :D

Hmmm. Don't remember seeing a section on codes in the owner's manual. Unfortunately, I'm at work and the manual is at home so will have to wait to check it in the AM. if it is there then color me em-bare-assed :blush: (I usually look before I leap)

My 06 Service Manual says this:

32 O2 sensor

(compensation stuck

to lower limit)

The amount of air-fuel ratio feedback

compensation is maintained

continuously in the vicinity of the

lower limit (rich air-fuel ratio).

Just found this too:

Probable cause or Malfunction

• Open or short circuit in sub-wire harness.

• Open or short circuit in front cowling wire

harness.

• Open or short circuit in wire harness.

• Fuel pressure too high.

• Faulty injectors (excessive injection volume).

• Defective O2 sensor (unable to output a

lean signal).

• Malfunction in ECU.

• Malfunction in other areas of the fuel system.

Nothing like a few small areas to look at to find the problem :blink: Been thinking about taking it in for the new ECU anyway, perhaps I'll just let the dealer figger this out.

Thanks for the help and replys.

I would view your O2 code as a ghost in the night with no substance, no problem and no worry. Many Gen I bikes, especially the '03s had a transient check engine light when wet, either caused by riding in the rain or just after being washed. Your FJR will run just fine even though it thinks there is an O2 fault. Reset the code and don't worry about it unless it keeps popping up.

But, since the ECU swap is a recall item and the bike is still under OEM warranty, this sounds like something to bring up and get resolved while it's already in the shop.

Hmmm. Don't remember seeing a section on codes in the owner's manual. Unfortunately, I'm at work and the manual is at home so will have to wait to check it in the AM. if it is there then color me em-bare-assed :blush: (I usually look before I leap)
The fault codes are listed under the "Fuel Injection System". In this section it also tells you how to check the codes out on your meter on the dash. Tells you how to go into the different modes for diagnostics or adjustments and then go through the numbers. PM. <>< :D

The fault codes are listed under the "Fuel Injection System". In this section it also tells you how to check the codes out on your meter on the dash. Tells you how to go into the different modes for diagnostics or adjustments and then go through the numbers. PM. <>< :D
PM, are you quoting the owners manual that is under the seat of the bike or the "shop" manual you purchase after you buy the bike?

PM, are you quoting the owners manual that is under the seat of the bike or the "shop" manual you purchase after you buy the bike?
Shop manual.

Let's keep things straight here, folks.

Owner's manual = no info about error codes.

Shop manual = tons of info in error codes.

Well,.....obviously thought we were talking about the "shop" manual. I thought about after the first day one brought their bike home, no one looked at the "owners" manual. My bad.....but I am over 50 and take heavy meds so If some thought I really might be of a logical nature well I guess your mistaken, SG. Dementia is a bear. :D PM. <>< :clown2: