Burnt rubber on exhaust

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queensland Ken

Reaction score
Greetings,

I have a small problem with some burnt on rubber on the exhaust pipes from the soles from my boots.

I've tried to clean it off with normal cleaners but didn't want to get too aggressive with it.

Any suggestions ?

Spent the better part of the day detailing up the bike back to showroom condition.

It's so nice :rolleyes:

Regards

Ken

May I suggest a smaller pair of boots.

I to have the same issue and have cleaned it before with prepsole. Unfortunatly I've put my boot on it again. Bugger.

OH well

Steel Wool.

Did ya know that Steel Wool Sheep have no known predators....except rust.

I find leaving them alone works for me. I cleaned em off twice and decided it wasn't worth the effort everyday.

:jester:

Get a bottle of Goo-Gone at your local hardware store... spray some on and let it soak in... rub the loosened stuff away.

Steel Wool.

Did ya know that Steel Wool Sheep have no known predators....except rust.
Do not use steel wool no matter what the grade on any exhaust or chrome or any smooth surface for that matter. Also do not use any type of scrub pad. It will scrach. I use 3M Road & Tar remover that can be found at any GM dealer or if not try Napa Auto Parts. GoofOff I suppose would work as well because it is safe for paint so it must be safe on chrome or stainless. Hope this helped. The 3M Remover not only works well on removing material off chrome or polished stainless or tar etc. off paint it works really well when you're going to detail your bike or vehicle for stripping off old wax. Strip off the wax, claybar the paint using a detail spray, then polish, then wax with a good paste wax. I use 3M, Mothers's and or McGuire's. You won't believe the results. PM. <>< :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using 0000 steel wool on the pipes for years. It works great. I would not however use it on the cans themselves. The steel wool on the pipes actually seems to remove the yellowing effect as well, and add a polished look which makes them more resemble the finish on the cans.

Easy-Off oven cleaner is the only thing that has cut difficult to remove, melted on, exhaust deposits for me.

- Mark

Bright Shine....Just keep rubbing it will go eventually....A mate of mine who is a motorcycle copper knows the guy who cleans the untis bikes he uses the liquid stuff and it comes right off when he passes the name of it to me I'll pass it on. By the way I just noticed your ID...he lives in Brisbane! Hows weis's going?

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Easy Off oven cleaner too. For the really tough stuff, wrap the pipe with aluminum foil or anything else and clean it after a half hour of running.