Spring Planning For Eastern KY

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
I am going to put together a ride for spring, I know that's a little far away, but I'm thinking in like mid April.

I rode this route when I went to Florida, and a little south of the endpoint into Northern VA. The route shown is about 300 miles from Natural Bridge State Resort Park. The GPS says this line takes about 8 hours to complete. I think it took me around 7.

RedRiverGorgeTour.jpg

Here's a zoom of a portion of the road. It looks like this a lot of this route. In between these tight roads are some nice sweepers.

closeup.jpg

These roads are mostly good pavement, with a couple rough miles here and there.

This is still in it's infancy, but I am thinking about everyone meeting friday around the park and those who arrive early can go for a short loop. There are tons of great roads around this area, it's all mountains and gorges. Probably ride Sat. and Sun. (ending back near the park again) for most of the day, then go home on Monday.

Let me know if anyone is interested. Over the next 2 months I'd like to actually plan the routes completely and look for accomodations. I'm thinking this won't be a bad place to stay for the first and last night. State Resort You can get a 2 bedroom cabin with 4 queen beds for like $160. Rooms in the actual lodge with 2 beds are about $75.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on ya for taking on the task..... I'd say Eastern KY, tho.

I just did a ride w/friends that started at a state park in OK (Robbers Cave) and it was a great place for everyone to arrive. I've ridden (a little) in the area you're proposing and agree, it's rugged country. I remember coal trucks and a little coal-dust (the locals probably have a name for it?) on the road, in places. I probably didn't know which roads I shouldn't be on.... I heartily agree on "Hungry Mother' -- now that's one awesome fine road.

Good luck with your planning and organizing.

Hey Dude,

I drive E. KY nearly every week for work. To miss the Coal Trucks, I'd suggest going past Natural Bridge, then take Rt. 11 South to 25E (Cumberland Gap Area) to 119, then East into VA. Slighly more miles, but far less rock chips, death, etc.

huh... When I rode that route I didn't encounter a single coal truck or lousy roads. All the roads chosen are the most twisty, backroad, out of the way routes I could find. I think the coal trucks may be on the more direct routes??? I don't know though, I've only been out there once. :dntknw:

Ooops, I forgotted which way east was! That's what I get for living in KY for too long...
Hey, atleast you spelled it correctly...you aren't a native are you...or you got yerself a city education. :)

Put me down for a very interested and a 50-50 maybe. Can't lock in yet...if others take my spot...so be it I guess.

Thanks for publizing this...

It won't take much arm twisting to get me there. It will depend on exactly when and how much vacation I have that isn't already committed to some other ride by then.

I'm interested. For those that haven't ridden in Eastern KY yet you are missing out. Some great roads here!

Please place me in the "interested" column. This would be all new roads for me. Yeah baby!

Heidi

I'm likely in for this ride.

I seem to recall Route 32 (??) was a flippin fantastic road...west from Ashland if I recall. Major twisties while up and down one right after the other for miles on end.

So far there has been a good amount of intereste in the spring Eatern KY ride! I am excited and am going to contact the lodge to see if they offer any sort of group rate or discount. The lodges availability will play a large role in the possible dates, but I am shooting for late April to Early May. Temps may still be cool in the morning (average low of 45) but will warm up by mid day (average of 67).

I am not sure about food yet, because this doesn't sound like it will be nearly as big as EOM, so I doubt I will call catering companies. There is a restaurant at the lodge that will certainly be able to accommodate us, however, I am hoping that we can rent out the majority of the cottages. I'm pretty sure they have grilles out there, and we could BBQ and have some drinks.

I am planning on going out there on a Thursday night after work. That way I can take off Friday and Monday. I figure 3 full days of riding, Fri, Sat, and Sun, should give us enough time to cover a lot of roads. I am also looking at revising the routes, and might do a scouting run in early april. I'd like to creat loops, but I'm afraid we won't get far enough away since the roads I posted were 300 miles and supposed to take roughly 8 hours. I'd rather have a base camp (the lodge) that everyone returns to, but there is a possiblity of starting out in one place then staying the second night somewhere else, and coming back to the lodge the next day.

Will post up next week with follow up info.

Keith, I'm also keeping an eye on this thread and will try to make it up as well. Thanks for putting this together.

JW

Psst: Let's keep this thread on the down low. Don't want them Alabama guys showing up and wrecking a good weekend. ;)