Nut holding brake on front fork falls off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghbchess

Reaction score
On a pre-ride check last weekend I remembered that on the last couple rides there was a clunk from the front end when applying the brakes, less so when braking with rear brake first. Looking at the right side of the front fork, I saw that the top of the two bolts holding the brake assembly to the front fork had fallen out, and the lower bolt was loose. With only 3000 on the bike since I bought this 07 new in February I was not pleased, and one more ride and the assembly would have come off or worse yet jammed between the fork and the front tire. Another bike from the same dealer (Coleman Powersport in Falls Church, VA) had the triple clamp bolt fall out at 4000 miles, and if I'd hit a pothole the front end would have separated from the chassis. A fastener check is part of the 600 mile maintenance, so there were two chances to catch these dealer assembly issues. I'll ask for the repair to be covered under warranty and add one more thing to the pre-flight inspection. One or two key bolts gone and you've got trouble!

WOW, you are more forgiving than I would be. I would going F'ing postal on the dealer. Something like that could really mess you up, or even put you in the ground. Completely unforgivable.

If you paid the dealer to perform that 600 mile service then you should be steaming. I hope you have another dealer somewhere that you can use in the future.

You are more understanding than I would be.

This is not a minor mistake.. This isn't a faring bolt or something trivial, if your caliper had fallen off it may have wedged into the front wheel.

This could have been life threatening. I would ensure the dealer knows how strongly you feel this is a safety issue.

Surely there is further action that can be taken to ensure this level of incompetence doesn't continue.

Can you notify Yamaha?? or is there an official government authority who monitors the activity of these workshops to ensure they are maintaining the necessary level of service and competency?

I agree with the above.

You should also place a black mark on this dealer in the dealer feedback section of the forum.

WOW, I agree with what was said and would highly advise calling Yamaha and BBB and DO NOT go back to the same place. Get screwed once shame on you, get screwed twice shame on me.

Another reason to do your own work or find a friend who can do it for you.

I agree with the above.
You should also place a black mark on this dealer in the dealer feedback section of the forum.
Spoken as only a true Dik should!!!!

FUZZY BALLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [SIZE=8pt] on the black mark [/SIZE]

:jester:

Today I took the bike to the dealer in the rain and asked for a warranty repair. They asked if anyone could have removed the bolt and I told them no, the bike is garaged when I'm not riding. They then put on a temporary bolt, ordered the factory replacement, checked the bolts on both rear calipers, and tightened the two bolts holding the calipers on the left side of the front fork which were not loose but not tight enough either. I asked if those bolts normally get LocTite, and if so which kind, and the counter rep didn't know, speculating that the bolts "come with LocTite on the inside." I was on my way in 20 minutes, and although there was no apology I was pleased that they fixed it while I was there instead of having to come back to pick up the bike. The factory replacement should arrive in time for the 4K service. Not being a wrencher (yet) it makes me nervous to think how many bolts there are which I need to check, and I laughed when I remembered a friend saying that he uses the state inspection as his maintenance program! Sounds crazy, but he has over 200K on his Gold Wing...

I asked if those bolts normally get LocTite, and if so which kind, and the counter rep didn't know, speculating that the bolts "come with LocTite on the inside."
The service manual does not specify a thread locker on the caliper bolts. However, all race orgs that I know of require them to be safety wired so its obviously not unheard of for them to vibrate out. On the other hand, I put blue loktite on mine when I put them in. It won't hurt them.

Today I took the bike to the dealer in the rain and asked for a warranty repair. They asked if anyone could have removed the bolt and I told them no, the bike is garaged when I'm not riding..........Not being a wrencher (yet) it makes me nervous to think how many bolts there are which I need to check, and I laughed when I remembered a friend saying that he uses the state inspection as his maintenance program!
Its likely this is part of the dealer prep. IIRC, the bike comes in the crate with the front wheel ass'y detached. Even if the front wheel IS on the bike, one would assume a "double-check" of the caliper bolts is on their pre-delivery list. Warchild and Lotechredneck would know, for certain.

Thankfully nothing dire happened to you or the bike.