Engine Idle Increased 400 rpm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fieldsher

Reaction score
My 04 has always idled abt 1,100 rpm. With 45 degree weather, in stop/go traffic, idle has recently risen to 1500 rpm. After highway riding, w/two bars, idle is back to 1,100. As engine warms to 3 bars and subsequently 4 bars, in stop/go traffic, idle gradually returns to 1,500. Otherwise, seems to run normally.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, George

A strong contender is a vacuum leak at the throttle bodies. Verify the sync caps are all in place and check the band clamps on the rubber boots that connect the air box to the TBs.

Another possibility is a TBS issue, if you have a tuner it will be a quick check.

A low possibility, but not to be overlooked could be a problem with the inake air temperature sensor. Check cold/hot via diAG mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the vacuum caps. Also check the condition of the caps. It gets hot under there and rubber bits can eventually get brittle.

Had the same problem with my 04 FJR. I'm very mechanical and swore it was the tps, throttle position sensor. I ran the test with the onscreen bike and tested fine. I used a ohm meter and it tested fine but I was still sure it was the TPS. Dealer said TPS test fine and I lived with it for a year till they had the TPS recall and that fixed it, I was just getting ready to buy one myself even knowing I have 4 year YES warranty .I could idle normal then it would idle at 1400 rpm with the idle stop screw not even touching. I still adjusted the TPS myself on the low side of the scale with my ohm meter because the dealer had it a little high.

Many thanks for the thoughts. Bike is stock, mechanically. TPS recall was done this summer. Very busy of late but will check everything as suggested, and report back.

George