Beer Run

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okmac

Reaction score
In Sept. I was staying for a couple of days in Murfreesboro , Ark. I spent about 3 hours the first day digging in Crater of Diamonds area to try my luck in finding a diamond. It was a hot day and about noon I had enought fun so I thought I would pick up a beer and go back to my motel. I stopped in a local grocery store and found out I was in a dry county. I asked the clerk where I could buy a beer and she said it was 36 miles and the next county. I didn't think this was going to be any big trip so I had left my Gps at the hotel . The main highway rain north out of town so I figured that was the way she meant , I am a guy after all , what directions, don't need no damn directions .

It was a nice day and 36 miles did not bother me so away I went , After about 30 some miles there was a county sign so I thought Things were going great and then at about 36 miles, lo and behold a town. I stopped at the first store and went back to the coolers and got a bad feeling when I only seen water and pop. I asked the clerk where I could buy a beer and she told me I was in a dry county.

So I figured I should have went east out of town instead of North so I return to Murfreesboro and then get on the highway headed east. I have now went about 72 miles. Headed east I again encounter a county sign at about 30 miles and then at about 36 miles I enter the town of Arkidelphia . This is a fairly busy town located right on Interstate 30 so I figured I was home free. I stopped at a gas station which carries everything and went back to the cooler and got a bad feeling as again I didn't see any beer. I asked the clerk where I could buy a beer and she said I had about 40 miles to go in any directon before I would find one as this is a dry county.

Now I am getting a little upset and determined to find a beer, I went out to my bike and brought my map back with me and asked the clerk if she would just point to a county where I could buy a beer. An elderly gentleman , who needed a shave and looked like he might have had a drink or two asked me if I was looking for a beer . I told him yes and he said to go north on the interstate 1 mile and turn left on hwy 7 and in 20 miles I would be at a licquor store . I like a man that knows what he is talking about and he looked like somewhat of an expert on beer. I did as he instructed and found the store. Then I had to figure how to get home.

About 180 miles later I was finally back at the motel with my cold beer, it tasted great, the whole 12 pack.

Mac

I had a similar experience in Utah in 2003. I do not think I drove as far or as many directions that you did.

Back in 1981 I drove from Boston to Maine and back for a couple A&W ROOTbeers....not sure of the mileage anymore, but my memory says a couple hundred miles on a 1980 CB750K....... It's a beer run you'll remember for sure.

So, what brand of beer was worth almost 200 miles of riding? Was it worth it?

Had to cross the Mississippi river from Memphis to West Memphis Arkansas & back for some Sunday brew . . . .Not far, but refreshing !

I don't drink (much and beer aint what I go for) but I did drive 90 miles at midnight for a Kryspy Kreme Chocolate covered glazed Doughnut once.

I thought I was going to have a career in Law enforcement :lol: :lol: :lol: