front cowl removal problem

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROADHAZARD

Reaction score
i'm trying to remove the front cowl and i,ve got every nut,screw,fastener,clamp,holder,gripper,grabber,and all the other things loose. but there seems to be something holding it in place right back in behind that little stick on yamaha emblem between the headlights. the manual doesn't help either. it just says to "remove the cowl", doesn't say how though. anybody got any bright ideas before i go get the sledge hammer and the skill saw?

i'm trying to remove the front cowl and i,ve got every nut,screw,fastener,clamp,holder,gripper,grabber,and all the other things loose. but there seems to be something holding it in place right back in behind that little stick on yamaha emblem between the headlights. the manual doesn't help either. it just says to "remove the cowl", doesn't say how though. anybody got any bright ideas before i go get the sledge hammer and the skill saw?

Roadhazard, I sent you a PM -

6 pack and a sawsall :dribble: :dribble: :dribble:

You're in good hands, listen to kaitsdad B)

Last edited by a moderator:

Imagine that! The manual doesn't help? Sure it does, you want to know how to take the cowling off, it tells you: "remove the cowling." What else could you hope for. Maybe FJR Tech will help--no guess not. Sorry for the cynicism, but that is some of what I went thru couple of nights ago just to find the coolant recycling bottle, and what generated my tyrade regarding that fine piece of literature.

I asked the question before about how difficult it would be to remove enough to put the rubber piece back in place that helps keep water/debri out of the holes where the windshield bracket comes thru & no on at the time had a clue . . . .I still have one side of the rubber wadded in since the double sticky tape came off. Good luck. I'm sure it can't be too difficult. :)

Front cowl is attached to the headlights.

Upper and lower side fairings are already off at this point. Remove windshield, remove small cover in center of cowl. Remove the bolts at the upper windshield arm on each side, the one that's spring-loaded, and the two bolts that hold the windshield frame to the adjuster. That opens the windshield mechanism. Then unplug the headlight connectors, and find the four bolts that attach the headlight assembly to the metal frame. Remove the headlight assembly, with cowl attached. When the assembly is off, you'll find a single bolt on the back that holds the cowl cover on.

All the plastic comes off from bottom to top up to that point, then you have to remove more than you think you want to.

I wrote this from memory, hope I didn't miss anything. Also, mine's an '03, haven't been into a Gen II, so this may not apply at all.

there was a link to the odometer fix PDF around here somewhere. I used it to take my cowl off. I had to read it out loud 3 times to figure it out, but it got it. (if the pictures were better I'll bet I could have got it after reading it only 2 times)

Imagine that! The manual doesn't help? Sure it does, you want to know how to take the cowling off, it tells you: "remove the cowling." What else could you hope for. Maybe FJR Tech will help--no guess not. Sorry for the cynicism, but that is some of what I went thru couple of nights ago just to find the coolant recycling bottle, and what generated my continual tyrade regarding that fine piece of literature.
There, I fixed it for you so that it will be a more accurate statement. I'm sure that Kaitsdad has PM'd him about the 2 screws that can be removed that allow the entire nosepiece to slide forward and off the frame. We're keeping that secret from you, because we refuse to be helpful and sometimes we're just downright mean. :unsure:

Besides, according to the personal informationunder your "Handle" you don't even own an FJR. :glare:

fitrx
Training Pilot

Group: Members+

Member No.: 10,668

Bike: Other or considering FJR
Wassup wi/ dat??? :watsup: :unknw: :whistle:

Imagine that! The manual doesn't help? Sure it does, you want to know how to take the cowling off, it tells you: "remove the cowling." What else could you hope for. Maybe FJR Tech will help--no guess not. Sorry for the cynicism, but that is some of what I went thru couple of nights ago just to find the coolant recycling bottle, and what generated my continual tyrade regarding that fine piece of literature.
There, I fixed it for you so that it will be a more accurate statement. I'm sure that Kaitsdad has PM'd him about the 2 screws that can be removed that allow the entire nosepiece to slide forward and off the frame. We're keeping that secret from you, because we refuse to be helpful and sometimes we're just downright mean. :unsure:
Screws? There's SCREWS ???

and to think I used a sawzall....

Screws? There's SCREWS ???
and to think I used a sawzall....
Now THAT'S mean! :eek: Had I known you were going to suggest the "permanent" removal method, I'd have suggested the Dremel Tool modification. ;) Of coursem those oval holes over the corner of the headlamps have been called "unsightly" by some owners. :dribble:

:lol:

Besides, according to the personal informationunder your "Handle" you don't even own an FJR. :glare:

fitrx
Training Pilot

Group: Members+

Member No.: 10,668

Bike: Other or considering FJR
Wassup wi/ dat??? :watsup: :unknw: :whistle:

Wassup wi wat??? Excuse me for not keeping my profile updated, but that does allow you to be critical, so just consider it a gift from me. Now go read my profile.

Wassup wi wat??? Excuse me for not keeping my profile updated, but that does allow you to be critical, so just consider it a gift from me. Now go read my profile.
Hmmmm I'm returning a critical answer in return for a critical answer. Ooops, my bad??????

Imagine that! The manual doesn't help? Sure it does, you want to know how to take the cowling off, it tells you: "remove the cowling." What else could you hope for. Maybe FJR Tech will help--no guess not. Sorry for the cynicism, but that is some of what I went thru couple of nights ago just to find the coolant recycling bottle, and what generated my tyrade regarding that fine piece of literature.
This was your helpful answer to a man who asked for help removing the nose cowl.
And I'm critical? Well, actually, in this instance, I am. And cynical, too!

Mad Mike, Yep Kaitdad sent me a PM about those sneaky two screws down by the headlights. Once i got those loose the cowl came right off. This forum is amazing, 2 hours after i posted, i had several great responses and the problem is solved. Thanks Kaitsdad for the PM and the pdf file about the instrument panel removal. Easy to follow step by step instructions are much easier for an Alzhiemers patient like me to use. Now i've got to finish wiring my accesory power strip and put all that plastic back together. Thanks again guys, Bob

Mad Mike, Yep Kaitdad sent me a PM about those sneaky two screws down by the headlights. Once i got those loose the cowl came right off. This forum is amazing, 2 hours after i posted, i had several great responses and the problem is solved. Thanks Kaitsdad for the PM and the pdf file about the instrument panel removal. Easy to follow step by step instructions are much easier for an Alzhiemers patient like me to use. Now i've got to finish wiring my accesory power strip and put all that plastic back together. Thanks again guys, Bob

Bob, you're Welcome. Always glad to help. The first time I pulled the plastic I did not have the instructions - and the shop manual wasn't available yet.

I cried a lot that day - walked away from it, and figured it out the next morning, when I wasn't so p&$$#d.

That file is available via a download link embedded somewhere in a post on this forum - I can't for the life of me remember who set it up. But it's out there. (Or would that be in here?)

If anyone out there can't find the link, and wants their own copy of the .pdf, PM me with your EMAIL address, and I'll send it to you later this evening when I get home. This only applies to GENII BIKES !! Your ISP service must be able to handle a 6.1MB zipped file.

That file is available via a download link embedded somewhere in a post on this forum
Perhaps our little Welsh buddy in Sonora? I seem to remember him having quite a time until he found the screws and posted about them. And he has a Gen I, '04.

I was going to point out that Gen II doesn't have the small removable cover but is solid. Wish it did then I could probably reach in & fix that rubber piece.

Help from Hal-PM sent !

You need to remove this first.

thing.jpg

thing1.jpg

:rolleyes:

Latest posts