70mph bog

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cterry66

Reaction score
We were almost home from a 60 mile ride Sunday when I went to pass a truck on I-75. We were cruising at just under 70. I gassed it a bit to pass the truck and the bike just bogged, (started to miss? ) and would not accelerate. I slowed back down again it ran fine. After a minute I tried to accelerate again, it bogged again. As we were close to our exit I continued at about 65mph and it ran fine the rest of the way home at lower speeds and stops for lights etc. I did not rev it too hard just wanted to get home safely. No engine warning or fault lights appeared.

My bike is an 05 with PC111 and full Holeshot system. Has 26000 miles and needs valve check and probably adjustments and also probably needs Throttle sync. Any ideas on what might have caused the bog? Never had any issues with the bike before. Is there a fuel filter somewhere that might need changing?

We were almost home from a 60 mile ride Sunday when I went to pass a truck on I-75. We were cruising at just under 70. I gassed it a bit to pass the truck and the bike just bogged, (started to miss? ) and would not accelerate. I slowed back down again it ran fine. After a minute I tried to accelerate again, it bogged again. As we were close to our exit I continued at about 65mph and it ran fine the rest of the way home at lower speeds and stops for lights etc. I did not rev it too hard just wanted to get home safely. No engine warning or fault lights appeared.
My bike is an 05 with PC111 and full Holeshot system. Has 26000 miles and needs valve check and probably adjustments and also probably needs Throttle sync. Any ideas on what might have caused the bog? Never had any issues with the bike before. Is there a fuel filter somewhere that might need changing?

cterry66,

Sounds like you already got it mostly fingered out. Could you of got some bad gas?? Might check for defective TPS?? Is your map all wrong (have the buttons been accidently pressed when the ignition is on?) or is the PWC bad or loose connection...bad ground..?? Try it with the PWC disconnected. If none of these problems exist, I would definiately start with the fuel filter, Check the air filter, plugs. Have the valve interval checks done and adjusted if needed, then do the TBS. Remember to adjust the idle too when your doing the TBS.

Thats what I would try,

WW

Last edited by a moderator:
My vote goes to a bad Throttle Position Sensor. Hook up your laptop to the PC-III, power the PC-III with a 9 volt battery, turn the key on and look at the throttle position in the Power Commander program. Roll the throttle slowly to full open and back to close and watch the Throttle Position readout on the screen. It should follow the throttle position smoothly.