Lubed Your Rear brake Leaver Lately?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tyronewildman

Real Old Guy
Reaction score
My baby's has been slightly sticking and no way to easily lube it. The main return spring would mostly return it but after the master cylinder return spring reached the end of it's travel, the leaver would stick there at times. The brake pads were back to their retracted position but that last little pop up against my boot, at times, bothered me. Removed the 2 hex cap bolts & the foot brake leaver & the complete assy pulls out so you can remove the 2 springs & the cylinder clevis pin. Pulled out the leaver pivot & saw why oiling the pivot hasn't worked. There's not any way for the oil to get into the complete bushing. Steel bushing & steel (plated) pivot pin could have used a grease fitting. Pivot pin has grease undercut in middle, so after cleaning assy, plenty of waterproof grease & reassemble. Man, those return springs are tough. Smooth as butter now. While I had it on my lift, did the same thing to the shifter pivot. You'll need a T30 torx bit, along with metric hex bits for that side. Be sure to use thread locker on the shifter shoulder bolt, as the factory did. Ready for another 4 years of greased lightening. Later,,, De :rolleyes:

Because I had read about this on the forum I have made it a yearly item to lube all of these points, along with all of the rear suspension and the rest of the bike. I would hate to have to be fixing something in the middle of the riding season, so I try to make good use of the winter down-time to ensure she will go all summer with nothing but tires and oils.

Because I had read about this on the forum I have made it a yearly item to lube all of these points, along with all of the rear suspension and the rest of the bike. I would hate to have to be fixing something in the middle of the riding season, so I try to make good use of the winter down-time to ensure she will go all summer with nothing but tires and oils.
What is this "riding season" I keep reading on the forum?

"What is this "riding season" I keep reading on the forum? "

Kinda, sorta, starts Jan 1 & ends Dec 31. The "middle" of the season would be July 1.

Other questions???

Later,,, De :rolleyes:

What is this "riding season" I keep reading on the forum?
Ignore references to "riding season" here on the FJR forum. This concept only applies to Harley riders that only ride on sunny summer weekends and park their bike for the winter (wouldn't want the chrome to get dirty).
Way to go - :) )

I cannot understand why some people get all worked over their "chrome", you can easily use WD-40 or Simple Green to get the dirt off of those nice shiny bits.

My opinion is "each to his/her own", so my Feejer (as most of my ST bikes that I have owned) is my work horse, dry or wet, and I enjoy the challenge of wet/winter riding. Of course we should always bear in mind that it may not be such a good idea to ride when ice or snow is forecast, but then most cage drivers up here in WA can't even drive properly when it's dry (hope I didn't offend anyone with that statement).

Ride safe,

Mine was sticking last August, I gave it a good shot of Triflow and it has stayed loose (even with a lot of wet riding). The pull down and lube with real grease is on my winter maintenance list.

BTW Triflow is an amazing penetrant/lubricant. It works magic on locks.

Yeah, I noticed mine was sticking a little earlier this summer.

I noticed it because the brake light was staying on. Not cool. :glare:

Used some penetrating lube. Forget which one. Okee dokey since.

<snip>
My opinion is "each to his/her own", so my Feejer (as most of my ST bikes that I have owned) is my work horse, dry or wet, and I enjoy the challenge of wet/winter riding. Of course we should always bear in mind that it may not be such a good idea to ride when ice or snow is forecast, but then most cage drivers up here in WA can't even drive properly when it's dry (hope I didn't offend anyone with that statement).

Ride safe,
Ice and snow are the only reasons that stop me from riding. But even those can surprise you. I recall one day last year riding down I-5 in Federal Way when it went from rain to snow to hail without even leaving Federal Way. I must admit I got a little nervous seeing the entire roadway white with snow and hail. Someone had managed to flip a small pickup truck going in the other direction. How on earth do you do that with 4 wheels when I have no problem riding home on 2 wheels in the same conditions?

Latest posts