Anybody have Umotors fix your ticker?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burninrice

Reaction score
Have an '05 ticker out of warranty. Just making sure U Motors in Fargo, ND is a good place to bring it. Don't need the usual "it's an exhaust leak", etc runaround BS. Just seing if anyone has any experience. Thanks.

I have never heard talk of University Motors providing actual mechanical service. I thought they were "parts only" type folks.

not heard any good/bad on their repair service, but mike colstadt (sp?) there has been top notch in parts prices and customer service to the fj crowd.

dean

cincinnati

92fj12-exABS

92fj12-exABS

07fjr13

They are a full service dealership. They have a new building with a lot of space for the service department. I know they have hired some new wrenchs (with experience) and Gary is the General Manager so if it aint right he will get it right.

Give them a call and see what they say.

Dana

Last edited by a moderator:
When all the discussion about tickers was going on several years ago I talked with Gary several times (chasing down the part numbers for the revised valve stem seals) and he indicated that they had repaired several bikes so they must have some experience with it.

And you might ask about out-of-warranty repair for you '05. Even if Y.E.S. has expired there has been talk that vehicles are covered for emissions related items regardless of warranty status for 5 years because of EPA rules....and/or Yamaha good will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, guys.

I have been just amazed by the amount of decent dealers, or so I thought, who absolutely blow-off this ticker thing like it's no big deal. I get a litany of reasons like it's an internet hoax, it's not going to hurt anything, etc, etc. Part of it is the company denying it and I'm sure part of it is that it is a big job and most dealers make more money doing oil and tire changes than heavy bench work like this. I'm sure there is some ignorance there too, as a lot of smaller dealers have probably never had to take a head off one of these motors and it scares them.

In defense, I do think the severity of this is a little (emphasis on little) blown out of proportion, because I know of at least three people who chose not to have their tickers fixed ('03s and '04s) that have well over 100k on them and nothing significant has changed, not even oil burning. I just know that when a valve is snapping into it's seat, something ain't right and when that much money (new or used) changes hands for a bike, it has to be right.