Took bike to dealer for new tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyfool

Reaction score
Some of you may have read my rants a long time ago (several actually) where my bike just simply wouldn't start (06 FJRA). It would turn over, but wouldn't start as if there was a kill switch triggered.

After disconnecting and reconnecting the ECU, it would start. Sometimes.

So, I buy the new Pilot Road 2 tires from Cycle Gear, but I don't have my tools because my garage floor is getting resurfaced, so I took it to the dealer to have them mounted for my ride down to OrangevaleFJR's memorial service. While they have it, they tell me that the see the ECU is to be replaced under warranty and do I want them to replace it. Sure! Cool.

I get a call, "Um, we replaced your ECU, but now the bike won't start. We put in the old one, it still won't start."

Lovely!

Some of you may have read my rants a long time ago (several actually) where my bike just simply wouldn't start (06 FJRA). It would turn over, but wouldn't start as if there was a kill switch triggered.
After disconnecting and reconnecting the ECU, it would start. Sometimes.

So, I buy the new Pilot Road 2 tires from Cycle Gear, but I don't have my tools because my garage floor is getting resurfaced, so I took it to the dealer to have them mounted for my ride down to OrangevaleFJR's memorial service. While they have it, they tell me that the see the ECU is to be replaced under warranty and do I want them to replace it. Sure! Cool.

I get a call, "Um, we replaced your ECU, but now the bike won't start. We put in the old one, it still won't start."

Lovely!
Ignition switch boogie I'll bet.

Scott,

Aside from the 'folks' that worked on your bike -

It sounds very much like a bad connection in the ECM wiring plug.

EDIT - Rad and I posting at the same time -

just out of curiosity - was the Barbarian mod done?

Last edited by a moderator:
just out of curiosity - was the Barbarian mod done?
Why yes, yes it was.....

I doubt it's the ignition switch because the bike has full power, etc. Every switch failure I've read about has been total power loss.

It's possible (DAMHIK :blink: ) that one of the pins in the ECM connector is loose - which would explain why in the past, you could pull the ECM plug, plug it back in, and it would start.

You might mention that to them, or maybe pay them a visit, and eyeball it yourself.

Would the tech know if the white clamp bar on the ECM plug is locked onto the pins? Or how to see if one is loose, by gently tugging on the wires as they exit the back of the plug? It's possible that would could be partially withdrawn and the process of the ECM changeout moved it just enough to lose contact.

if the plug check doesn't pan out, check the kill switch and sidestand switch to see if it might be an intermittant failure there.

you could always trade it for a ponyfool.
Ok, that was funny right there!

Turns out it was the ECU harness. Good call Kaitsdad! They had two techs on it, one on the starter switch, one on the harness.

I give the dealer kudos for

A: identifying my bike was in need of a new ECU when I was only getting the tires replaced.
B: Fixing my screw up issue for free.

Knowing it got fixed makes it easier for me to say:

You can take my bike if you still want to ride down and yours is not gonna go...

I know, what I pal I am. No need to say it.

:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts