Brakelight staying lit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silversvs

Reaction score
Just found that my brakelight is staying lit all the time. Hadn't done much night riding lately so I don't know how long its been that way.

Any suggestions on where to start diagnosing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a similar problem and found out it was the electronic sensor/solenoid going bad in the front brake lever. Remember that just because the rear brake light is sticking, it doesn't mean the rear brake lever is the sole issue. The good news: if it is your front brake levers' sensor/solenoid, it will only cost about $12.00 for the part. That's dealer's cost. Don't let them charge you an arm an a leg for it. If it is what I explained and you have a decent mechanical aptitude--unlike me--you should replace the part yourself. I watched my local Yamaha shop install the part as I wondered to myself, how much would that have cost me if I didn't just purchase this bike?

It's nice to finally get to give back to the forum. I've received a ton of wisdom from other forum members. I always wondered if I would be able to help someone else out. ;)

Whatever the issue turns out to be, I hope you resolve it soon so you can get back out on the road.

Adjusting the rear brake pedal could cause this problem (at least on a 07). The factory adjustment puts the pedal up too high for my tastes, do I adjusted it down lower. The switch adjustment changes when you adjust the pedal, so you have to change both at the same time.

I had a similar problem and found out it was the electronic sensor/solenoid going bad in the front brake lever.
It's neither a sensor, nor a solenoid; just a switch.

Spraying them with dry silicone (in a spray can) every once in a while is how I keep them healthy. Take care.

JC

I had the same problem. What happened to me was the switch on the rear brake went bad, it stayed open. Both brake switches have to be closed to complete the circuit, to turn the brake light OFF! if the circuit opens, the brake light goes on, opposite of any other system where the switches are in parellel. I think it has something to do with the ABS. Anyway the rear switch had gotten some sand in it and held it open, cleaned the switch and now all set.

Hope that helps.

Bob

I had the same problem. What happened to me was the switch on the rear brake went bad, it stayed open. Both brake switches have to be closed to complete the circuit, to turn the brake light OFF! if the circuit opens, the brake light goes on, opposite of any other system where the switches are in parellel. I think it has something to do with the ABS. Anyway the rear switch had gotten some sand in it and held it open, cleaned the switch and now all set.
Hope that helps.

Bob

Interesting. Designed to fail safe. Very clever...

my old BMW K-75s had a brake check light on the dash that made you have to depress the front/rear brake levers and if both activated the brake light then the dash light went out.

So, I got in the habit each morning/evening of doing this same thing to make sure the brake light was working on my FJR - lo and behold, one day it stayed ON - because the rear brake lever was sticking.

I haven't had the need to check on the FJR, but most bikes have front and rear brake light switches. They can either get dirty and stick or more likely just get out of adjustment when you adjust the pedal or lever position.

Usually they are threaded and can be adjusted by loosening the locknut and turning a second adjuster nut. Figure out which switch is causing the problem by disconnecting its electrical connector one at a time. When the light goes out you have found the problem switch.

I just had the same problem on my old RD200.