Engine starts w/brake lever??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uctofeej

Master of Random Thought
Reaction score
During a ride today I fired the bike up after a gas stop and noticed an error code: SH_ _ 35. I shut it off then restarted to see if that would it remained, but then I noticed when I pulled in the front brake lever, it started BEFORE I hit the starter button. :this: :uhoh:

As I stood there perplexed, letting the bike idle, and monkeying with sh*t to see if I could fix it, I heard the starter whirring and the engine icon appeared on the readout every time I pulled the brake lever while the engine was running. Finally, I shut it off and thumbed the starter button without pulling the lever. It felt a little odd as it pushed in, then it seemed to click ever-so-slightly as if it wasn't seated correctly and all started working normally again. The brake was a brake, not a starter button. All seems to be well now. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyone know what SH_ _ 35 specifically refers to? I'm sure "out-of-whack starter button" isn't what Yammie had in mind.

Any other nifty hidden features I should know about? Does the bike have a secret reverse if I nipple twist the kill switch?

Hmmm.

No connection between the starter and brake that I am aware of. (Pun intended.)

Sounds like you have a problem in the Starter button housing and pulling the brake lever made the starter button make contact. Don't know what the error code is but I'd take the assy apart and have a look see.

Hmmm.
No connection between the starter and brake that I am aware of. (Pun intended.)

Sounds like you have a problem in the Starter button housing and pulling the brake lever made the starter button make contact. Don't know what the error code is but I'd take the assy apart and have a look see.

I think the two are linked somehow on the AE. It won't start unless the front brake is applied. Don't think it matters whether it's in first or neutral.

Planning on cracking it open this week to take a peek, just in case...

In a previous post Constant Mesh sez:

Anyone come across an intermittent "Sh__35" error?
You would likely see this error message if the starter pushbutton is pressed while the engine is running. When you press this PB you are shorting to the ground bus the starter actuation circuit. If all the preconditions are met the engine cranks and starts.

Sounds like this circuit is somehow being grounded intermittently at some location in the wiring harness other than at the starter PB. Or possibly the starter PB is somehow misbehaving.

They should be able to trace the starter PB circuit and identify the ground fault in the circuit.
Since your brake tries to start the engine it sounds like there is a wiring problem inside the right side handlebar switch enclosure.

Last edited by a moderator:
SH_ _35 - Start switch signal is abnormal - signal is received from start switch while vehicle is driven

Sounds like the starter switch, the starter switch wiring or the starter signal input to the ECU is fratzed.

During a ride today I fired the bike up after a gas stop and noticed an error code: SH_ _ 35. I shut it off then restarted to see if that would it remained, but then I noticed when I pulled in the front brake lever, it started BEFORE I hit the starter button. :this: :uhoh:
As I stood there perplexed, letting the bike idle, and monkeying with sh*t to see if I could fix it, I heard the starter whirring and the engine icon appeared on the readout every time I pulled the brake lever while the engine was running. Finally, I shut it off and thumbed the starter button without pulling the lever. It felt a little odd as it pushed in, then it seemed to click ever-so-slightly as if it wasn't seated correctly and all started working normally again. The brake was a brake, not a starter button. All seems to be well now. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Anyone know what SH_ _ 35 specifically refers to? I'm sure "out-of-whack starter button" isn't what Yammie had in mind.

Any other nifty hidden features I should know about? Does the bike have a secret reverse if I nipple twist the kill switch?
For what it's worth, I had the same error code. Posted about it here. Never did find what caused it, it eventually cured itself. The error code means something like "unexpected starter signal" going to the YCCS computer. Sounds like your starter was being told to turn after the engine was running. (That wasn't my problem.)

Have you installed anything recently on the right handle bar? Like maybe a vista cruise?

Have you installed anything recently on the right handle bar? Like maybe a vista cruise?
Nope, no farkles, she's all stock. Can't think of any real cause other than perhaps my fat ass finger pushed the button out of alignment or some wire working itself loose inside the housing.

Wait, if an AE requires both the brake and the starter switch to be engaged to start, this makes sense that the starter switch was somehow broken and remained closed (allowing electrical contact). That would explain your error code as Bamfrank describes, and also explains why the bike would start with only the brake lever.

The brake switch isn't fubar, just the starter switch. When you pushed the starter and heard it crunch, you fixed it, albeit, probably only temporarily.

+1

I dont know the exect meaning of the error code but your Start button was shorted in the closed position and applying the break was just completing the circuit as its supposed to. I'd have the Start Button replaced soon, probably got some crunchies in there.

Wait, if an AE requires both the brake and the starter switch to be engaged to start, this makes sense that the starter switch was somehow broken and remained closed (allowing electrical contact). That would explain your error code as Bamfrank describes, and also explains why the bike would start with only the brake lever.
The brake switch isn't fubar, just the starter switch. When you pushed the starter and heard it crunch, you fixed it, albeit, probably only temporarily.

Yeah, sounds like Pony nailed it. When I read your symptoms, that is exactly what I thought of too.

The starter switch was stuck in the "on" state so that as soon as you pulled the clutch in it engaged the starter motor. Then since the starter continued to run after the engine had started it threw that error code which is saying the starter was still being told to run after the engine had already started.

I'd look closely at the starter switch and maybe disassemble and see if you can see what caused it to stick on.

+1 on dodgy starter switch.Back to the dealer..
I agree with "back to the dealer". You don't want the starter trying to engage at engine speeds, it could fry the bearings in the starter due to severe over-revving, or the starter drive teeth could clash with flywheel teeth and destroy both. The dealer may just replace affected parts and minimize the chance of this happening again.

And you told me you were a cop. Hey... can you fix my bagel toaster? :D

The AE will not start in gear unless you have a brake applied.
I don't know about you but I tend to use my brakes fairly often with the bike still in gear...

Imagine, if you will, setting up for an upcoming corner. You feather the brakes a bit and the starter motor decides to kick in. :eek:

It occurs to me that this is a bug in their code.

The ECU knows when the engine is running, so while it SHOULD kick out a code if the starter button is pressed while the engine is running, it should NOT engage the starter under this circumstance.

There may not be any danger associated with the problem, but there is significant wear on the starter and solenoid that could have been avoided by simply coding up a single test and branch in the ECU code.

Take note, Yamaha!

Latest posts