Shad48 Back rest - HELP!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Steve

Reaction score
Okay. I have:

1x Shad48 Top Box.

1 x Backrest

2 x grommets (incl screws)

I have enlarged/drilled the holes in the lid. I can locate the lugs into the slots of the hinges. I can 'align' the holes of the back rest with my holes in the lid. I push the grommet and screw into the hole. I begin to turn the screw. Grommet expands, and then forces the backrest away from the lid.

I have tried for nearly 2 hours today....and no luck. Starting to get worried because the head of the screws are starting to look a little second hand.

Anyone else had an issue with theirs? What's the secret? HELP?

Yeah.

The fasteners supplied with the backrest suck. I went to my local auto parts store and bought some longer ones. Now the backrest is securely fastened.

Last edited by a moderator:
I begin to turn the screw. I have tried for nearly 2 hours today
In the fourth hour of trying to get those "screws" in, with friends and family watching so you are good and pissed, take a screwdriver and push those #$%^ grommets, no turning. They go in like magic with just a push. No clue why they have a phillips head on them, I messed with those things a couple of times before I got frustrated enough to figure out the correct install method. ;)

take a screwdriver and push those #$%^ grommets, no turning. They go in like magic with just a push. No clue why they have a Phillips head on them, I messed with those things a couple of times before I got frustrated enough to figure out the correct install method. ;)
+1

Make sure that the "screw" head isn't pushed in while you're inserting the fastener as it expands the end of the fastener, making it impossible to push through the backrest. Once fully inserted, push the "screw" in to expand the fastener.

The faux Phillips head aids in removal of the fastener if the spirit ever moves you to do so.

SORTED!

Picked up a pair of 'slightly' larger (length) plugs......ka-ching. All good :yahoo:

Thanks guys for the responses. :clapping:

And rangerk9...thanks for the prompt PM. :thumbsupsmileyanim: :drinks:

SORTED!
Picked up a pair of 'slightly' larger (length) plugs......ka-ching. All good :yahoo:

Thanks guys for the responses. :clapping:

And rangerk9...thanks for the prompt PM. :thumbsupsmileyanim: :drinks:
Steve,

No worries mate...glad you got it squared away! Btw...I am slow sipping on some cold Bud Light as we speak. May have to try some Aussie beer sometime in the near future.

Take care.

Cheers,

Rex

RLTW!!