Sticky Throttle Return

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSL

Reaction score
Hi,

It's is a nice day here in Portland,Or. decided to go for a ride and found that my throttle was not returning to idle can be a little spooky coming to a stop. I turned around and went back home pulled the bike into the garage and started checking it out.I have the G2 throttle tube and breakaway cruise control and figured the breakaway was out of adjustment after removing it was still sticking (huh?) My next guess was that it got to 30 degrees last night and I had use the wrong grease in the cable housing and it had gotten stiff pulled it apart cleaned out the grease and it was still sticking.This time I disassembled it and pulled the G2 throttle tube off and found the light weight white lithum grease between the handle bar and G2 tube ID had become like heavy paste and was gummed up between the tube,from what I could tell the grease had reacted with the original yamaha grease and caused it turn turn into this really stiff hard gum like substance some alcohol and emery cloth cleaned it off and now it is a smooth as when it was 90 degrees out. Just thought I'd let you folks know about this incase someone else greases there tube(that sounds terrible) and runs into this problem.

Happy Riding,

Gary