GenII ECM Changeout

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitsdad

I'm confused - Just ask my Wife.
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Well, being one of those that are dealer phobic, I usually do all of my work myself. That, and being the only testosterone based life form in the house, it keeps me in the garage.

After receiving the letter from Yamaha, I contacted Mike Kolstad at University Motors - and made arrangements to have him ship me my new ECM - and he said it would be fine if I put this on the forum, so I'm not blindsiding him.

Here's the process:

1. YOU MUST HAVE RECEIVED THE LETTER!! This means that your vin number falls within the range being changed out.

2. Contact Mike Kolstad at University Motors - [email protected] - and order a new ECM. Yes, I said order. Also request a copy of the Tech Bulletin with instructions - (such that it is) he will send it to you.

IMHO, you will want to call him after you contact him, and give him your CC number over the phone. Not a good idea to email it.

3. Mike will ship you the new ECM, and charge your plastic of choice. $376.08 + $10.00 shipping.

4. Once you receive your new ECM, change it out.

5. Ship it back to Mike with your VIN number and mileage. Keep in mind, Mike does not verify that you have the letter. If for some reason, you did NOT receive the letter, and are NOT covered under the TB, you don't get credit, cause UM doesn't get credit.

6. Mike will receive the old ECM, verify your VIN #, and then credit you the $376.08. Shipping both ways is covered by you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to see a good guy like him get screwed, so I'll ask, will Yamaha allow this?

I was always under the impression they had to certify that they did the repairs.

I don't want to see a good guy like him get screwed, so I'll ask, will Yamaha allow this?
I was always under the impression they had to certify that they did the repairs.
I think it's OK. My local guy allowed me to carry in the old one and handed me the new one, over the counter. It's an easy change and just requires a little "jiggling" of the tray to get it in and out.

How is it that University Motors can get an ECU yet the NEW dealer I'm using in Southaven, MS says that they are still on order? I have been waiting since the tech bulletin first came out!

How is it that University Motors can get an ECU yet the NEW dealer I'm using in Southaven, MS says that they are still on order? I have been waiting since the tech bulletin first came out!

Don't know what to tell you - I ordered on Nov 5th - and while they did not have them in stock, they were able to ship on the 21st. I'd suggest you have a discussion with your dealer.

Remember that the tech. bulletin specifically said there'd be fluctuations in inventory as they tool up for this exchange. This ain't surprising....and you have lots of 3,000+ foot elevation changes in MS?

You know, now that you mention it, I do remember that. I think they mentioned it in the tech bulletin. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is. Some of us do leave the state every now and then. Just this year I've been in AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ, UT, CO, NC, VA, WV, DC, and TN (multiple trips-I wasn't in the Iron Butt Rally-someday I want to volunteer to help, though). I'm not due for another adventure until June when I treck to Hanover for the third time, so maybe I'll get mine before then, as it really is a sweet running bike as long as you stay in Mississippi.

It looks like the University Motors deal would benefit me, though, if I was in a hurry.

I ordered mine a couple weeks ago from the local dealer. They called me 3 days later for pickup; seemed not to care if they installed it or not.

I ordered mine a couple weeks ago from the local dealer. They called me 3 days later for pickup; seemed not to care if they installed it or not.

Similar story on my end. My dealer ordered the ECU the day of the letter and told me they would call. They didn't, so I checked. Service department was too busy to put it in so the parts "girl" handed it to me...... I have both now. Go figure.

My local guy allowed me to carry in the old one and handed me the new one, over the counter.
Same here. It's not a 'repair'; just a swap even a caveman can do :p .

But it also took 3 extra weeks after the date I was told it'd be there. Later.

JC

I wish my local dealer was better to work with.

My local dealer, East Bay Motorsports in Hayward, CA, says I have to come in and fill out a work order, only then they will order the ECM. Once it arrives, I HAVE TO BRING IN my FJR so they can swap it out.

I asked about doing it myself and was told that there is NO WAY they would let me do it, since it is a $800 part and I could screw it up.

East Bay really sucks - avoid them at all costs.

I wish my local dealer was better to work with.
My local dealer, East Bay Motorsports in Hayward, CA, says I have to come in and fill out a work order, only then they will order the ECM. Once it arrives, I HAVE TO BRING IN my FJR so they can swap it out.

I asked about doing it myself and was told that there is NO WAY they would let me do it, since it is a $800 part and I could screw it up.

East Bay really sucks - avoid them at all costs.
Yama., yer dealer is lying thru his teeth alright..The Canadian dealer cost is/was $230.00 for the ECU kit when I had mine done a couple of weeks ago...I saw the yamaha bulletin (M07-081) sent to my dealer. The yankee bulletin dated 10/17/07 shows a dealer cost of $327.03.... not even close.... :ph34r:

Dealer (Atlanta Motor World) ordered the ECU. Called about a week and a half later and said part was in. Dropped bike off at 11:45 a.m that day. Went to lunch and picked bike up at 12:45 pm.

I have had my 06 to them for all the recalls, guages, trunk, and ECU with parts ordered and received quickly, work usually done the day of drop off. Great service!

The CO settings were returned to original, as anticipated. Funny thing is, the lean surging and reasons I performed the Barbarian mod did not resurface. No change in rideability after ECU swap that I can tell??? Go figure! I have left the CO settings as original and bike runs fabulous so far. Temp was 77 degrees.

Ed

Well, being one of those that are dealer phobic, I usually do all of my work myself. That, and being the only testosterone based life form in the house, it keeps me in the garage.
My dealer ordered it, called me when it arrived, I removed the old ECU and brought to him, we exchanged ECU's. I installed the new one and fired the bike up - Done. Unfortunately I have not been abel to ride it ( Minnesota Winter and all ). I really like my dealer, he is really flexable. Are the new ECU's working out ??? Or are there problems :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer ordered it, called me when it arrived, I removed the old ECU and brought to him, we exchanged ECU's. I installed the new one and fired the bike up - Done. Unfortunately I have not been abel to ride it ( Minnesota Winter and all ). I really like my dealer, he is really flexable. Are the new ECU's working out ??? Or are there problems :rolleyes:
I was a fence sitter for a number of months while this ECU issue was resolved. Even though my '06 was on the recall list, I never experienced the severe altitude problems folks with '07s did. So with that in mind...

I visited my local dealer before Christmas and ordered a new ECU. They called 10 days later (which I didn't think was too bad considering the holidays) and I had the new one installed. I will say that the bike is improved. I had also performed the barbarian mod and bumped the settings +7. Any trace of lean surging is gone and the engine runs smoother with less vibs. Can't comment on mileage as I only have 150 or so miles since the ECU and haven't filled up since.

My advice to those who haven't, don't hesitate, have the ECU changed out. You'll be much happier.

--G

... escape., is right on the money here...even if an `06-07 owner doesn`t ride at higher altitudes, they should get the new ECU. Right from the get go I noticed a smoother off idle response...like a different bike! :yahoo:

Had to get a new ecu order'd on the 8th and pick my bike up today. They did not get a comformation that the ecu was in stock till last friday and it arived monday afternoon. There not as easy to work with as some dealers and wanted my bike to sit there untill i gave them a load of crap but aleast it came in and runs good.