Rooms Reserved For Eastern KY Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithaba

Reaction score
Alright, the lodge was booked solid for most of April, I got lucky and here's what we got.

Space will be limited, this is what I could get, so over the next month we will see who is in.

Friday April 11 through Monday April 14.

11th natural bridge

I'm going to show up around 11:00 and do some riding. Probably call it quits early, go check in by 3, go do the skylift to the top of natural bridge. I highly recomend it.

We will have a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom cottage with 1 queen bed in each room and a big living room, with a fireplace. - 60.73 per person

We will have 6 cottages that only have 1 bedroom 1 bathroom and each has 2 queen size beds. - 53.98 per person

For those who can be there friday, we are going to bbq, hang out, and have some drinks.

There is a paved area to park.

The next day we ride to Marion, Va. I'll post the actual mapsource files later.

We stay here the 12th. best western marion

Reserved 8 rooms with 2 beds in each. Bikes can be parked right next to the rooms. 33.00 per person

Full Breakfast Buffet included in the price. And it's pretty damn good too!

The 13th we ride back to the lodge again, and have the same setup. 1 2 bedroom cottage, 6 single bedroom cottages. Same price.

That leaves monday to do a short ride or just go home.

Also, I am considering just getting a cheaper hotel for the 13th and canceling the cottages. It would save about 20 bucks per person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, the lodge was booked solid for most of April, I got lucky and here's what we got.
Space will be limited, this is what I could get, so over the next month we will see who is in.

Friday April 11 through Monday April 14.

11th natural bridge

I'm going to show up around 11:00 and do some riding. Probably call it quits early, go check in by 3, go do the skylift to the top of natural bridge. I highly recomend it.

We will have a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom cottage with 1 queen bed in each room and a big living room, with a fireplace. - 60.73 per person

We will have 6 cottages that only have 1 bedroom 1 bathroom and each has 2 queen size beds. - 53.98 per person

For those who can be there friday, we are going to bbq, hang out, and have some drinks.

There is a paved area to park.

The next day we ride to Marion, Va. I'll post the actual mapsource files later.

We stay here the 12th. best western marion

Reserved 8 rooms with 2 beds in each. Bikes can be parked right next to the rooms. 33.00 per person

Full Breakfast Buffet included in the price. And it's pretty damn good too!

The 13th we ride back to the lodge again, and have the same setup. 1 2 bedroom cottage, 6 single bedroom cottages. Same price.

That leaves monday to do a short ride or just go home.

Also, I am considering just getting a cheaper hotel for the 13th and canceling the cottages. It would save about 20 bucks per person.
Sweet!

Thanks for planning ahead, Keith!

The Gorge/Natural Bridge Area is great. We just need to map out the Dry Counties, and State Parks don't serve. Guess I'm packing in the Jager!

Are those prices really per person, or per room? I'm assuming pp for the BW, since breakfast is included. Good deal, either way.

Prices are per person.

While it is a dry county, probably about 5 miles down the road is a little country store on the border of the next county. They sell beer and food there.

I'm switchg to a regular hotel for the last night (the 13th), should be about $30 per person.

That makes hotel costs $117 per person for 3 nights.

Damn!

That's the one week I can't. My kids are on break and we're renting a cabin in NC mtns.

Hmmmm... maybe I could do that earlier in the week.

We'll see, I may have to do my usual mulit-state solo tour later in April.

Steve

Damn!That's the one week I can't. My kids are on break and we're renting a cabin in NC mtns.

Hmmmm... maybe I could do that earlier in the week.

We'll see, I may have to do my usual mulit-state solo tour later in April.

Steve
That sucks! I wanted it to be later in April, but it's freeking booked solid after the weekend of the 11th. If you can't make it, I am planning on doing something like this again in Fall.

Am I reading this right? You already made reservations? Or is it that reservations are open for a certain amount of time?

Also, does this mean that I'd need to bunk w/ some guy?

I'm leaving Nova Scotia on the 11th on my way to Key West. That should put me in Marion late on the 12th. Sounds like a good spot to stop.

Canadian FJR

I'm leaving Nova Scotia on the 11th on my way to Key West. That should put me in Marion late on the 12th. Sounds like a good spot to stop.Canadian FJR
That would work out well! You can go about halfway back towards KY with us, then just break off from the group and head out. Or you can go all the way back to the gorge, stay the night and head out from there.

Hiede: At the gorge, you could stay at the cottage that has 2 seperate bedrooms and bathrooms. At Marion, I guess you could get your own room, it's 66 a night. (They do have king beds!)

I made the reservations, but for the 13th, I am thinking about changing them. Instead of the the cabins again, I might just book a cheap hotel, just to save on cash.

This one is looking interesting.

I maybe able to ride in on Friday & would probably head for home on Sunday from Marion.

Tom

I may in fact be able to pull this off. I think I have work covered except for Mon.14th. If I have to wait a bit before booking a room are there any alternate (i.e. Motel6) hotels/motels nearby each night that I'd have better luck getting. We could very well end up with a large crowd here.

Thanks for orgainizing this, its looking good so far.

Steve

It looks like we're in Friday and Saturday night.

:drinks:

Tiff wants to see her Grandma in Central WV, so we'll probably break away mid-Sunday in VA.

<_<

Is this going to be a leasurely paced ride where we can enjoy the scenery, or is this a fast paced race from point A to point B? Also, I don't know about Kentucky, but mid April around here can be anything from temps in the 70's one day to snow the next!

Is this going to be a leasurely paced ride where we can enjoy the scenery, or is this a fast paced race from point A to point B?
I'm pretty sure that some of these guys are akin to squids. If there are enough folks, I'm sure that there will be more than 1 group.

Orrrr, my other fun/smartassed answer is... "why do you care? You'll be busy planning EOM!" :victory:

Keith, it just dawned on me that this ride takes place solely in VA. Where/when is Kentucky involved?

Am I reading this right? You already made reservations? Or is it that reservations are open for a certain amount of time?
I'd like to split the cottage on Friday. (but we won't stay Sunday night....)

Interested?

Is this going to be a leasurely paced ride where we can enjoy the scenery, or is this a fast paced race from point A to point B? Also, I don't know about Kentucky, but mid April around here can be anything from temps in the 70's one day to snow the next!
I'd like to form at least 2 groups. Smaller groups allow riders to stay more aware of each other, without bogging each other down too much. I will be leading the "spirited" :dntknw: one. If you ask other's who have ridden with me, I guess they can tell you I do move at a pretty good pace. I will have gps, and radar.

Some of these roads are very scenic, some of them are not so pretty, just twisty and fun. There will be a good mix of sweepers, and really tights stuff (when you are going up or coming down the side of a mountain).

There will be some people riding 2-up, I figure the 2-up riders and those who prefer a more leisurly pace ride in the second group.

Average high for mid april is around 62, average low around 46. Weather will be a mixed bag, with the way things have been going, who knows what we will see.

I'd like to split the cottage on Friday. (but we won't stay Sunday night....)

Interested?
Yes Brent, definitely interested but if most/all of my ride will be in VA, I'll be bowing out. I realize that on Keithaba's ride to Natural Bridge he'll be in Kentucky... but I'm in VA & will always be in VA on my way to Natural Bridge. Also, ditto on the ride home. I was counting on the riding in between being mostly where I haven't ridden. VA is my stomping grounds & I will have to pass on this one.

Perhaps this is actually the 1/4 Eastern Kentucky & 3/4 Virginia ride? :rolleyes: