Alternator Output?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good2Go

Reaction score
Hi,

I did a search but came up dry...I'm looking at an '08 as my first FJR and was wondering if there were specs anywhere on how much additional electrical load the alternator will support? At most I'd be adding a Zumo, heated vest, heated grips, heated seat, motolights, hyperlights, and some sort of intercom device such as Autocom. I run all of this currently on my 1800 'Wing and want to make sure the FJR can handle it. Thanks.

I'm gonna go with "No the FJR can't handle all of that." If you plan on running all of those devices at once, your going to be waaaaaaaaaay over what the FJR can put out.

Sorry but very few bikes out there have the stator output of a Goldwing. GL1800's have a staggering stator output of 1300 watts, and require approximately 400 watts to operate the bike. That leaves you with more available wattage than the FJR's stator can even produce. If you really feel you need all of these accessories running at once, your going to be pretty limited in bike choices.

BustANut, Buy and FJR but don't get rid of your Wing. Just tow it behind the FJR and run a cord between the two. You can plug all your stuff into the FJR and use the connection to the Wing as a portable generator. PowerLet (https://www.powerletproducts.com/) makes lots of electrical connections for all types of bikes. Just search their website under "FJR to Gold Wing High Amperage Connector/Power Transfer Cable" to find what your looking for.

Thanks for the input. I plan on keeping the 'Wing, but sounds like I need to prioritize the stuff I wanted to add...