Temp. reading

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wetdog

Reaction score
I've searched the forum and haven't found any meation of the air temp. gauge...I will keep searching, but maybe someone out there knows how to reset the air temp. in the instrument panel. I have an 07 and the air temp is stuck on 16 degrees, it's cold today, but it got close to 40 degress F. I'm sure it did hit 16, but it's not now!!!!!

Any help would be appriciated. I just got the bike and all is well except the temp gauge!

I've searched the forum and haven't found any meation of the air temp. gauge...I will keep searching, but maybe someone out there knows how to reset the air temp. in the instrument panel. I have an 07 and the air temp is stuck on 16 degrees, it's cold today, but it got close to 40 degress F. I'm sure it did hit 16, but it's not now!!!!!

Any help would be appriciated. I just got the bike and all is well except the temp gauge!
It's not a temp gauge, it's a lat/lon gauge. Reset it by going here.

Rancho

Read the manual for how to switch from Metric to US measure - Canadian units don't do that (for some reason) so it isn't in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not Lat/Long. The ambient air temperature function on the instrument and controls!

You can switch modes between Ambient air, instantaneous fuel and average fuel. Mine switches fine, but the ambient temperature is stuck on 16 degrees. It may be a bad unit, but the manual tells me how to change time and switch modes. I was just wondering, but can't seem to find the info on resetting temp.....if that is even possible.

Reference pages 3-6...3-7 in the owners manual. If I can't figure it out I guess I'll take it back to the dealer, but they are a long way away!

Read the manual for how to switch from Metric to US measure - Canadian units don't do that (for some reason) so it isn't in my book.
Good catch!! Have your odometer miles somehow increased? If so, it is possible you have toggled gauges to metric.

Hold the "select button" (left button) a few seconds and see if it toggles back.

Isn't 16 the messed up reading when the instataneous ileage goes nuts?? Just a thought the that is what you're reading.

:dribble:

Yeah, but 17 is the best reading, not fixed.

He might have a bad temp sensor or connection as well, but 16 degrees C is about 50 F which is why I suggested the metric thing.

Just asking. Is it possible to switch from US to Metric measure on temp gauge on FJR ´06?

:rolleyes:

Hawk1

Just asking. Is it possible to switch from US to Metric measure on temp gauge on FJR ´06?
:rolleyes:

Hawk1
Since you own a Gen II, go try it and report back. When you toggle between KMs & Miles (kmh & mph) does it switch the temperature readout from farenheit to celsius?

Mine doesn't have a temperature reading, so I can't do the experiment.

The owners manual (approximately) sez: If the temperature falls below 16°F, a lower temperature will not be displayed. Same is true for temps over 122°F, a higher temp will not be displayed.

It does sound like the problem is with your temperature sensor or the wires/connectors. I'm pretty sure the temperature sensor is inside the nose fairing, left side. Have you been in that area for anything recently?

It's not in metric mode, It's reading 16 degrees F. The above comments about the temp range being 16 degrees to 122 is what the manual says. It says temp below or above won't read at all. I think the sensor is bad/unpluged or it got so cold it somehow damaged it. I just got the bike and it's read 16 degrees since I picked it up. I suppose I could see if something is unplugged..????? The dealer said he take care of it or order new parts, but he over an hour away so if it's something simple I'd like to take care of it.

I was hoping someone on the forum ran onto this problem before and knew the fix!

Alan your comments on the location of the sensor were helpful, I'm going to take a look in there and see if I can see anything that jumps out at me.... I've only had the bike a few days so not overly excited about taking anything apart, but a quick look won't hurt, and maybe something is just unplugged.. Thanks Ionbeam!

I was hoping someone on the forum ran onto this problem before and knew the fix!
Did you look at the link I put up in post #7? I surmise he is going to replace the gauge cluster as a warranty fix.
Yes I did, and if I can't see anything like a loose wire,I too think the dealer will replace the console. My experience in the past with this type of unit is they are sealed and you don't fix you replace.

I only have 35 miles on the bike and already called the dealer. He been pretty cool, he just asked me to call ahead so he can order the parts so I don't have to make more then one trip.

You can change the reading to metric on a 07? Did not know that. My owners manuel is at my office so I can't get it to read how. I guess that will give me something to do tomorrow at work :rolleyes:

I'll ask the same question as Rls... My Gen II 06A is a USA model and I can't seem to get the info to change from Miles to Kilometers plus it's not even mentioned in the manual. :unsure:

Anyone out there able to confirm if GenII's are able to convert?? :blink:

It says temp below or above won't read at all.
What the owners manual says is that the display won't show any numbers below 16 or above 122, the display will be 'stuck' at the readings of 16 or 122 after conditions exceed these readings.

The owners manual for Gen II FJRs does not say anything about changing between miles and kilometers even though it uses both units of measure when describing the meter and gauge functions.

With less than 100 miles and a meter problem, it's dealer time.

my 07 manual does not have anything about it either.

I'll ask the same question as Rls... My Gen II 06A is a USA model and I can't seem to get the info to change from Miles to Kilometers plus it's not even mentioned in the manual. :unsure:
Anyone out there able to confirm if GenII's are able to convert?? :blink:
Canadian FJRs do not have this function. For some unknown reason, only the USA bikes can do it.

Anyone out there able to confirm if GenII's are able to convert??
Its possible that function is no longer available as it was on the OldGen bikes. Just for grins, have you tried the "secret encoded method" in the last sentence of post #5? IIRC, its also mentioned in the "Bin-O'-Facts".