Any tips on Riding to/in Alaska?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camera56

Reaction score
Friends

Anyone on the forum ridden to/in Alaska? I'm planning to go at least once in 2008 leaving from Seattle. Going to ride the FJR. I know this topic is discussed to death on other forums, so what I'm really interested in here is the perspective of someone who has done it on an FJR, or a bike like an FJR. The general idea is to ride up and take the Alaskan Ferry back. Probably only going as far as Whitehorse/Skagway. In particular, any suggestions about the following . . .

• Prepping the bike
  • Tire choice (assuming I take the Ferry back, my max miles will be 2500 or so)
  • Gear you'd take
  • What tie-downs to take for the Ferry ride back
  • Places you'd recommend
  • Thoughts on Stewart-Cassiar Hwy 37. My understanding is sections of it are gravel

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, help, pointers, etc.

Friends
Anyone on the forum ridden to/in Alaska? I'm planning to go at least once in 2008 leaving from Seattle. Going to ride the FJR. I know this topic is discussed to death on other forums, so what I'm really interested in here is the perspective of someone who has done it on an FJR, or a bike like an FJR. The general idea is to ride up and take the Alaskan Ferry back. Probably only going as far as Whitehorse/Skagway. In particular, any suggestions about the following . . .

• Prepping the bike
  • Gear you'd take
  • Places you'd recommend
  • Thoughts on Stewart-Cassiar Hwy 37. My understanding is sections of it are gravel

I rode up to Dawson-Fairbanks-Anchorage on my FJ1200 and took the ferry down from Scagway several years ago, in May. Lived (comfortably) in my electric vest. They had tie downs on the ferries. Book ahead though especially if you want a cabin. Haines Junction is a great jump off point for rides and was a cheap place to stay compared to Haines or Scagway. I The bike still has Alaska mud encrusted in nooks and crannys from where the roads were under repair. Great trip.. go for it.

I am going in late jUne of 08. Trying to decide which bike--FJR or KLR. Got to Prince George BC this summer and had to turn back due to death of family member of the guy I was with. Tire life is a issue for me with the FJR as it is 5,000 miles one way for me. Total of 10,000 for trip. I would hate to have to replace tires three times on FJR. I used Anakees on the KLR and after 5000 miles it still has about 3-4K left in them. I know this I will not take near what I took last time in way of clothes, spares, tools etc. Heated vest is highly recommended as is good rain suit/riding suit. Plenty of $ and credit card and now a passport.

If you are going to be camping bring a quart of DEET based bug juice. Or die bleeding.

Rt. 37 YES!!!! You may have to drive slower in some parts but not slower then 40 mph. Bring a tire patch kit, Slime tire compressor,Camelback Razor hyd. pack,big bear spray can, tent, sleeping bag. I can't remember if there is any place other then camp sites on 37. There was one new small lodge but they wanted something like $250. a night. I had a Joe Rocket mesh jacket, Gerbling heated liner and heated gloves, reg. gloves,breatable rain coat, Columbia Titanuim pants and Oxtar Air Tech boots. I was never hot, cold, or wet. Prepping the FJR-Fill with oil and top off gas tank, and hold on tight.You must stay over in Denali Park. Bring good binoculars and a camera .

Hey, I've been thinking of planning a trip to Juneau this summer. When are you thinking of going and how long do you think you'll be gone? I have a buddy who moved to Juneau and I thought it would be a nice ride to go and see him. I've never been to that area either.

Let me know what your thinking and perhaps we could make the trip together or at least a part of it.

Dave

Hey, I've been thinking of planning a trip to Juneau this summer. When are you thinking of going and how long do you think you'll be gone? I have a buddy who moved to Juneau and I thought it would be a nice ride to go and see him. I've never been to that area either.
Say, are you planning on riding to Juneau? Let me know how that works out for you....

Say, are you planning on riding to Juneau? Let me know how that works out for you....
Duster19: bikerskier is just having some fun with you! In addition to it being the capital of Alaska, Juneau is land-locked!

I worked in Alaska for a decade as a pipefitter and I indeed took both my Harley and my BMW to Juneau, but it was by using the Alaska Marine Highway System. From the north, board the ferry in Skagway or Haines. From the south, board the ferry from Bellingham or Prince Rupert. I'm with JerseyEd, take the Cassiar Highway, the road to Alaska of olden times!

burnergold2B is correct on the DEET. When you worked away from the pipeline pumping stations out in the bush you would dread having to go out into the bushes to take a dump. By the time you finished your business, your butt was bleeding bad!

Here would be my two cents on visiting Juneau. Use Air North Services out of Whitehorse, Canada and leave your FJR in their parking lot; it will be safe and secure there, thanks to Uncle Sam I've traveled all over the globe; and Canada is safest!

Flight is only 50 minutes and they're extremely professional, in my experience! Reserve ahead with them: 1-800-764-0407.

[*]Prepping the bike[*]Tire choice (assuming I take the Ferry back, my max miles will be 2500 or so)

[*]Gear you'd take

[*]What tie-downs to take for the Ferry ride back

[*]Places you'd recommend

[*]Thoughts on Stewart-Cassiar Hwy 37. My understanding is sections of it are gravel
I would hate to destroy all the urban myths about taking the ALCAN to Alaska but it has been totally paved since 1992 and isn't much different than riding a good two lane chip seal highway anywhere in the US. As for prepping the bike, you probably should leave home with new tires and a fresh oil change and thats about all you need to do. It can be cold and rainy even in the summer so take the appropriate riding gear. I would take at least one set of good tie downs for the ferry ride just to compliment whatever the ferry provides. The last time I was on the Stewart-Cassiar it had about 100 miles of gravel and I rode the entire distance, in the rain, on a ST1100, so it couldn't have been that bad. That was in 1999 so there is probably a lot less gravel now. If you are concerned about the gravel, just take the ALCAN, it only adds about 100 miles to get to Watson Lake and is more scenic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Friends

• Prepping the bike
  • Gear you'd take
  • Places you'd recommend

Add a spot phone(sattelite emergency locator and phone) bear spay , basic camping gear, tire repair kit.

I would look at the Alaska Marine Highways schedule and take the "Fast ferry" from Haines or Skagway I believe it only takes about 4. Hours for the trip to Juneau to Skagway.

I went back about 2 years ago, stayed 3 weeks at our friends house.

Having the motorcycle in Juneau was kind of unique.

On the way back, it took 4 long days to ferry and ride from Juneau, Skagway, to Colorado. I believe the ferry trip is 3 days.

I personally would ride the motorcycle again both ways. This time I am only doing about 500 mile days. I am getting tired of riding past all the great places at break neck speeds to get from point A to B. I am going to stop and smell the Devils Paintbrush, so to speak.

I was just checking this week if I needed to get a Passport to cross the Country borders. They have extended it to 09. Drivers license and Birth certificate with raised seal is still all you need for 08.

The tires I used on my cruiser was new ME 880, they had no problem going both ways.

The one thing I would say there are public pay showers on the docks. They are by the Harbor and are used by the people who live on their boats all year long. Also the ferries have showers on them. E

If a Ferry breaks down you may be stuck in the town you are in for a long time.

It happened to my sons wife last summer. They couldn't get from Ketchikan to Bellingham, But did get the Ketchikan to Prince Rupert ferry and drove the rest of the way down.

My son said it was a beautiful trip.

As for flying into Juneau, there is a good possibility you would not be able to land. It is a VFR airport only.

I personally shut down the Airport for 5 days back in 1993. Long story. Only way in or out was the Ferry system.

Bob

As for flying into Juneau, there is a good possibility you would not be able to land. It is a VFR airport only.I personally shut down the Airport for 5 days back in 1993. Long story. Only way in or out was the Ferry system.

Bob
Are you real sure about this? A friend of mine flew a DC9 into Juneau almost everyday for Evergreen under a US Post Office contract. He did this for a number of years until he retired recently.

Just get on it and ride, the more time you have = more fun

• Prepping the bike
  • Gear you'd take
  • Places you'd recommend
change the oil, fill the tank, have decent tires.cool weather clothes and good rain gear. The only time I needed mine was riding through Minnesota

Get a milepost and stop at what interests you

The Cassiar is always changing, in fact all the roads in the north usually have some construction going on. Usually only a few miles at a time though. When you encounter gravel slow down and take your time.

If you are going to be camping bring a quart of DEET based bug juice. Or die bleeding.
I've heard the skeeters are the size of Yugos. I'm also under the general impression that going early (May) or late (end of August or early September) means they're either not around, or still smaller than English Muffins. Any truth to that?

Thanks for the good words guys. One specific question about TIE DOWNS

I've spoken with the folks at the Ferry service and they say I need to bring my own tie downs for the bike, though they are less than helpful on a couple of details . . .

• How many?
  • How long?
They also don't give any hints on what said tie downs will be secured to. Any thoughts on this would be really helpful.

Thanks for the good words guys. One specific question about TIE DOWNSI've spoken with the folks at the Ferry service and they say I need to bring my own tie downs for the bike, though they are less than helpful on a couple of details . . .They also don't give any hints on what said tie downs will be secured to. Any thoughts on this would be really helpful
If you do a 'search' on this Forum using 'ferry' or 'ferryboat' -- you'll find lots of discussion and some pics.

Somewhere in there, I think?, you'll find answers.

I've heard the skeeters are the size of Yugos. I'm also under the general impression that going early (May) or late (end of August or early September) means they're either not around, or still smaller than English Muffins. Any truth to that?
I don't think going in May or September on a motorcycle is a very good idea but the size of the skeeters is folk lore, they usually are runts from lack of food but what they lack in size they more than make up in numbers. They do not bother you when you are moving at least 5 mph, or when the wind is blowing, and the mosquito control in the towns is usually pretty good. They are not that much of a problem unless you plan on camping in primitive campgrounds or spending a lot of time at remote rest stops -- but be prepared and if you do camp make sure your tent is mosquito proof because they are heat seeking missiles at night.

MCRIDER007 is giving you good advice, it will be raining its ass off in May and "termination dust" will be falling in September.

Here is everything you need to know about Alaska mosquitoes: https://alaska.org/mosquitoes.jsp They claim that you are safe from mosquito bites in early June and August; but personal experience has proven differently to me. They claim that the unofficial record of most mosquitoes killed in a single swat is 78; I swear to God I swatted 83 off my fat ass in Coldfoot!

Last edited by a moderator: