wheel repair...bent rim

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Toro Joe

FYYFF
Reaction score
Has anyone used Frame Straight in Friendsville, Tn. to repair a bent rim? I'm trying to find out about the quality of the work that they do.

Have you tried ebay for a new (used) wheel?

Unless it is a very small bend for "peace of mind" reasons I would change it out. Bending back cast, machined aluminium isn't always the best idea.

Unless it is a very small bend for "peace of mind" reasons I would change it out. Bending back cast, machined aluminium isn't always the best idea.
GUNNY. Plus you might try a junk yards. Not many FJRs end up there but you might get lucky.

It is a small bend, it just bugs me to see it... I just don't fell like spending $365 for a new rim

It is a small bend, it just bugs me to see it... I just don't fell like spending $365 for a new rim
I recently had two wheels worked on by Wills Wheels in Greenville, SC. I was happy with the results. Here's his particulars....Will's Rim Repair

9 W. Sable Court

Greenville, SC 29617

phone: 864-787-1351

Has anyone used Frame Straight in Friendsville, Tn. to repair a bent rim? I'm trying to find out about the quality of the work that they do.
Fortunately, I have not had to use their services, but, I have heard positive things about them. I also heard it's a bit pricey (approx $150?) , but, I guess you get what you pay for. If you want it done cheap, send it to me - I just got a new ball peen hammer that I've been dying to try on something, but, the cat runs too fast.

I'm sure yours isn't as bad as some of these https://www.framestraightsystem.com/Motorcy...%20Pictures.htm

Fortunately, I have not had to use their services, but, I have heard positive things about them. I also heard it's a bit pricey (approx $150?) , but, I guess you get what you pay for. If you want it done cheap, send it to me - I just got a new ball peen hammer that I've been dying to try on something, but, the cat runs too fast.

I'm sure yours isn't as bad as some of these https://www.framestraightsystem.com/Motorcy...%20Pictures.htm

I've checked out the web site already...know where near as bad as any of those. I've got an old dog...he don't run too fast anymore

I bent a rim and cracked it on my old FZR many moons ago............used a weighted rubber mallet to hammer it back to shape, threw in a tube and rebalanced it :blink: Hey it worked..............rode with it for two years before I sold it, and yes I did tell the buyer about it :rolleyes:

I bent a rim and cracked it on my old FZR many moons ago............used a weighted rubber mallet to hammer it back to shape, threw in a tube and rebalanced it :blink: Hey it worked..............rode with it for two years before I sold it, and yes I did tell the buyer about it :rolleyes:
I did that once on a Harley that I owned in the 70's...but that bike was a rat. This one's a little nicer

I sent Grumpy to Will's after using them myself. I've run over 10,000 miles on a wheel straightened by them with absolutely no problems. Don't even think that anything purchased as used on Ebay is straight. I bought two used wheels from two different sellers, both claimed no defects and no warps or bends. Both had bends and one had damaged edges. The claim procedure will test more than just your patience.

My STRONG advice based on personal experience...

Buy used from Ebay and pay Will's $65 to straighten. Or, buy new. Either way you can bank on replacing seals and bearings and possibly rotors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts