Finished loosening throttle spring.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
I have an 07 and finished unwinding the spring on the throttle one go-around as others here have done. Amazingly how simply this was to complete. Also I like how it's not as tight as before.

Now, on the return, the cable doesn't have enough tension to bring it quickly back to home base. After I pull the throttle and release it works fine until 1 inch from the beginning when it then returns slowly.

Is it the case that I'll have to live either with a tight throttle-pull or have to manually return the remainding 1 inch?

Maybe it's not a big deal. Maybe it's the cold weather affecting it.

Anyway, the wind chill right now is -7 F. It's funny how it doesn't bother me to work on my bike in this chilling temp but I'd hate to work out in it! Go figure..such is life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got some different grips, hand guards, bar-ends or a throttle lock? If so, maybe one of those are interfering.

Did the same with my '06, and it does the same thing once in a while. I have a Vista Cruise, and thought it might be the problem, so I took it off. No difference-- sometimes it does it, sometimes not. Put the VC back on and have just learned to live with it.

15,000 miles so far. I think the cold has something to do with it, since I didn't notice it during the warmer months. I had a G2 on for a while, and lightly re-lubed the bar when I took it off, so that is not the problem, I think.

B)

Got some different grips, hand guards, bar-ends or a throttle lock? If so, maybe one of those are interfering.
I do have Yammie heated grips. The gas tank is still off so couldn't try it before I had to give up due to the temp approaching 0. Gosh, I can't wait till I will have a garage. I also managed to strip the small screw that holds the headlight-adjuster knob on. Son of a #$%!*&!!! It's crazy... just as others here have reported... some screws that should be tight are not, and those that really shouldn't be tight are glued on there. I think next time I buy a new bike I'll tell the dealer to just ship the crate to my house and I'll put it together.

Now, on the return, the cable doesn't have enough tension to bring it quickly back to home base. After I pull the throttle and release it works fine until 1 inch from the beginning when it then returns slowly.
Have you adjusted the throttle cable so there is absolutely no slack?

I took the slack out of mine, causing this to happen. :unsure: And no it wasn't the first time I'd done this :p Just the first time I had a lame assed return. I put a little slack back in... Bingo 'sall good.

Might be something to do with the ramp????

:jester:

Make sure the cable isn't too tight - clicky - this has caused some folks issues. If it's too loose, you may get off-idle jerkyness, if it's too tight, you may get the throttle cam a little sticky.

My stock throttle works perfectly with the middle spring relaxed 1 turn.

As mentioned, adjust BOTH throttle and return cables to spec, and it should return perfectly IF your heated grips (or anything else) were installed properly. Not hard to check what's binding. Good luck.

JC

Don't worry about the throttle not returning to the closed position when the engine is not running. Engine vacuum will pull the throttle plates shut when running. When I taught high school autoshop many years ago. I used a running engine and carburetor to demonstrate the power of engine vacuum. With a V8 engine running and the nuts that secure the carburetor removed I asked the "kids" to try an pull off the carb. I was nearly impossible because the carb was being "sucked" on to the intake manifold. The throttle plates in your FJR will be sucked closed when you roll off the throttle even if the return spring has less tension.

Thanks guys!

I did work on my bike a bit today and it was 40 degrees warmer than last weekend when I did the farkler. The spring is looser now. Evidently the cold has something to do with it. 3dogs... I wished you lived next door! Thanks for explaing this.

Have you seen the show Ice Truckers? Those guys talk about how equipment begins to fail or not work properly as it becomes colder. One guy last season had to get a forklift to bank on the trailer cuz it was frozen solid to the cab and would'nt release. Wow, that's rough. And I thought it was cold last weekend with -10 windchill working on the bike...