Colorado ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Reaction score
North Georgia rider looking for a little help from Colorado folks in mapping out some good rides in your state. I would like to spend about a week riding. If possible have loops that would bring me back to a starting point(Hotel,Motel etc.) I plan to trailer my bike from Georgia and would need a secure place for my truck and trailer. I know, I should ride it out but, we are seniors and prefer the a/c on the long straight roads that it takes to get their. Any help that can be provided would be appreciated. :clapping:

You might want to check out the rides that I recommend in my signature block. Also, you can do 4-6 days of great riding out of Montrose, including lots of mountains and canyons. I organized a gathering for some of my Gold Wing friends form all over the country last July and we had about 150 bikes and 250 people. Doing it one more year, this time in early June, and already have 125 bikes and almost 200 folks coming. Check out Rockies Gold 2008 and click on the Montrose Rides for some good info, including downloadable GPS files of all the routes.

From this thread:

When you are riding from the flatlands of the Denver metro area into the mountains, almost any of the canyons can be a fun ride, but there are some that we try to avoid because of the traffic primarily. So here are some of the routes we like to take with some of our preferred back roads.
A great loop in the northern Front Range is up the Poudre Canyon (Hwy 14), over Cameron Pass, to Walden. There are a couple of good places for lunch in Walden. Then head south on 125 over Willow Creek pass, turn north on 34 and take Trail Ridge road through Rocky Mt NP.

On the east side of the mountains the traffic is worst, so we usually start the ride by taking the back roads north from Hwy 66, past Carter lake, and then through Masonville and up to Poudre Canyon. This road has everything from some long open stretches to 15 MPH hairpins. The entire road was repaved a few years back, and the traffic is always light. Masonville has an fascinating old General Store that is more museum than anything, and a leather store.

We usually avoid Hwy 36 between Estes Park and Lyons, preferring to take Hwy 7. This comes down the South St Vrain canyon which is a great twisty road.

Boulder canyon (hwy 119) between Nederland and Boulder usually has a lot of traffic.

Whenever heading up into the mountains we try to avoid I70 for the stetch that is closest to the Denver area, the traffic is scary in this stretch. From Golden, we usually take Clear Creek canyon (Hwy 6) between Golden and I-70 just to the east of Idaho Springs. Traffic is usually not light, but it's a beautiful canyon.

Another great way out of Golden is to take Heritage Road south, past the famous Red Rocks Ampitheater down to Morrison. Then you take Bear Creek road up to Evergreen, and beyond that to Mt Evans.

The new road north from I70 to Central City is 2 lane all the way and a lot of fun to ride in a spirited manner.

Further to the west, highway 134 over Gore Pass is a lightly traveled road that is lots of fun, then the stretch of 131 between Toponas and Wolcott north of I70 is good riding.

These a are some of the good roads that are a little less known, or at least a little easier ride in some of the more congested places. I'll keep thinking, I'm bound to come up with more. I would be happy to talk to those who are planning the rides.

John