Body Panels

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZrider

Reaction score
Help!

I have the Yamaha Shop Manual. Compared to the Honda manual it's pretty vague and missing a lot of detail. I was trying to remove the body panels and the top right panel to repair some scratches. Man, what a PITA. I can get to most of the fasteners except for one down in the nose of the front cowl and I just can't see how it can be removed without the whole front cowl being separated from the bike. The FJR manual doesn't give a whole lot of directions except a lot of exploded views of the front.

Is there some magic to this or does one have to remove the whole banana just to get the upper right (the one the mirror is attached to) panel removed?

Thanks for any help or advice. I did try the "search" in the tech section but couldn't find anything. I would think that a lot of you have had all the panels out and back just for kicks or to tune the bike?

AZ

Help!
I have the Yamaha Shop Manual. Compared to the Honda manual it's pretty vague and missing a lot of detail. I was trying to remove the body panels and the top right panel to repair some scratches. Man, what a PITA. I can get to most of the fasteners except for one down in the nose of the front cowl and I just can't see how it can be removed without the whole front cowl being separated from the bike. The FJR manual doesn't give a whole lot of directions except a lot of exploded views of the front.

Is there some magic to this or does one have to remove the whole banana just to get the upper right (the one the mirror is attached to) panel removed?

Thanks for any help or advice. I did try the "search" in the tech section but couldn't find anything. I would think that a lot of you have had all the panels out and back just for kicks or to tune the bike?

AZ
I'm in the same Boat, I need to remove the left side Mirror and I can't figure out how to get the panels off to access the nuts that hold the mirror stalks onto the upper faring. Hopefully someone will point us in the right direction.

I could have really used this today. It would have made a 3 hr exercise into 20 minutes. Its definitely saved for future reference. Thanks

ADMIN NOTE: There was a copyrighted document link placed several posts ago, but I had to remove it. Unfortunately, it's against the law, forum guidelines, and just is bad karma to try and put something that Yamaha has stamped "copyright" on. Ask your dealer to look at Technical Bulletin M2006-01 if you want details...or convince Yamaha to pull their copyright.....or a member might be discrete and help this guy out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the posts. The dash panels are easy. In response to the removal of the top and dash panels on the Gen II bikes there are two of the "snap" pins on the inside between the panel and the forks. I use a small Allen wrench and push the center of the pin to release it and then pull it out. The other fasteners are pretty straight forward using Allen round head screws. If I had known someone needed help I would have taken pictures and posted them.

The fasteners I'm hassling with are deep inside the front cowl and for the life of me I can't see how to get to them with the headlight buckets in the way. I'll call the shop and ask for help. They're a good bunch down there I just need to get around my ego and talk with them. This shouldn't be that hard.............what do you do on a headlight replacement?

AZ

I can't speak for the Gen2 bikes, but on the Gen1 bikes you must removed the 3 upper fairing pieces and the headlight as an assembly, and then seperate them off the bike. Reinstall the same way, put those 4 pieces together, and then put the one assembly back on the bike. I would expect the gen2 bikes are similar enough that this may help.

The front panel you guys mention is a PITA to remove, but you DON'T need to remove it to remove the mirrors. Stupid dealer had no service manual when we replaced my panels, so we had to go blindly, and I removed all possible unnecessary fasteners, including the bottom mirror nut (DO NOT remove that, or a million washers will fly off), and 2 large studs attached to the steering stem (DON'T remove those either). The mirrors are held by 2 nuts each, and they can be reached when the black panel behind them is removed.

The front panel comes out with headlights attached, and there're FOUR regular screws that need to be removed to free it. The plastic 'studs' where the screws attach to go thru round rubber grommets, so you can't miss them. You'll need an offset screwdriver for a couple of those, due to space restrictions. Just take your time, and you should be able to remove whatever you need. Oh, and WRITE DOWN the fasteners, as there're several sizes. Good luck.

JC

Last edited by a moderator:
The front panel you guys mention is a PITA to remove, but you DON'T need to remove it to remove the mirrors. Stupid dealer had no service manual when we replaced my panels, so we had to go blindly, and I removed all possible unnecessary fasteners, including the bottom mirror nut (DO NOT remove that, or a million washers will fly off), and 2 large studs attached to the steering stem (DON'T remove those either). The mirrors are held by 2 nuts each, and they can be reached when the black panel behind them is removed.The front panel comes out with headlights attached, and there're FOUR regular screws that need to be removed to free it. The plastic 'studs' where the screws attach to go thru round rubber grommets, so you can't miss them. You'll need an offset screwdriver for a couple of those, due to space restrictions. Just take your time, and you should be able to remove whatever you need. Oh, and WRITE DOWN the fasteners, as there're several sizes. Good luck.

JC
Be apprised the "million washers" that fly off after removing the the bottom nut of the mirror are not garden variety washers. They are compression washers. Even the four Yamaha dealers I visited couldn't get them. They were finally found online at McMaster Carr, should any other poor soul need to know.

Be apprised the "million washers" that fly off after removing the the bottom nut of the mirror are not garden variety washers. They are compression washers. Even the four Yamaha dealers I visited couldn't get them. They were finally found online at McMaster Carr, should any other poor soul need to know.
I'm just curios; why did you remove that nut?

Latest posts