New FJR Clunk when Braking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

200cs

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I got my 08 last Friday and really love it. I have noticed a noticable clunk coming out of the front suspension when I brake aggressively. Is this the ABS making noise? It almost sounds like its out of the Steering Bearing area like you would get on an older bike that has some wear. I dobt that is it considering it is brand new. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Hi everyone, I got my 08 last Friday and really love it. I have noticed a noticable clunk coming out of the front suspension when I brake aggressively. Is this the ABS making noise? It almost sounds like its out of the Steering Bearing area like you would get on an older bike that has some wear. I dobt that is it considering it is brand new. Anybody have any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your replies.
I have an 07 and it clunks also. I found if I apply the rear first, just slightly, the front does not clunk. Don't know why it clunks but I've developed the rear first habit so don't even notice anything anymore. I'm sure there is a technical answer out there somewhere.

Bingo! First reported '08 FJR with loose steering head bearings. It's a common problem.

Take it back to the dealer and have them retorque the bearings. It's supposed to be done at the factory, but there seems to be one line or technician from the factory that messes it up and under torques.

...unless you want to do it yourself...and then you would need the special tool and search on torque steering head site:fjrforum.com in Google.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

I found a missing bolt on the right front brake caliper and had it installed by the local dealer. That was the source of my clunk and all is well now. Kinda scary isn't it? Brand new bike missing brake parts.....

Update:I found a missing bolt on the right front brake caliper and had it installed by the local dealer. That was the source of my clunk and all is well now. Kinda scary isn't it? Brand new bike missing brake parts.....
Then, that's on the dealer. The front wheel is part of their assembly process as the bike comes in a crate without it installed. They probably forgot to torque the bolts.

I noticed a clunk in my 08's front brakes too. Last night while doing about 15 passes of maximum braking (same class where 'ol SkooterG killed his clutch ), abs fully engaged, it would clunk as soon as the calipers were activated, about a milisecond before the brakes grabbed, if that makes sense.

Jacked it up when I got home...front end, rotors, calipers feel tight. I'll check for missing bolts next, then see what the dealer has to say...

Sorry to bring this old thread back but I noticed the noise on my week old 08..Getting ready to install the bar risers, pumped the forks with the front brake on, noticeable clunk. Steering stem seems tight; brake caliper bolts tight, no play in the front end at all. Went ahead with the riser install, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I did notice that the outer brake pads on both calipers are loose when not applied?? I've done forks dozens of times on my dirt bikes over the last 30 years and never failed to find causes of noises, I'm stumped! Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check the floating rotors to see if that is the sound you are hearing. Simply hold the front brake and attempt to rotate the wheel back and forth. Many will make a 'clunk' when initially engaged.

It could be the linked brakes. When you just engage the front brakes there is a set of pads (there are four pads to each caliper) in the right caliper that do not engage and sit there loose on their clips. When rocking the bike fore and aft while holding just the front brake lever you can notice a slight clunk and feel it through the bars sometimes. It can be confused with steering head bearings.

When the rear brake lever is applied, the last set of pads in the front right caliper engage, and only engage with the rear brake lever. That's Yamaha's linked brake system. Probably the reason Glenn does not notice a clunk if he applies the rear first slightly as it tightens up that set of pads before applying the rest of the front brakes.

My 07 does that also. I thought it was the front end but the dealer checked it and found nothing wrong. I think its the front break pads and just don't pay any attention to it anymore.

Gary

Had it too. Again, checked out the front end, everything where it needs to be. Put a fork brace on it, it all went bye-bye. Plus it improved the cornering immensely. Since it has been warming up out here nicely haven't heard or felt the slightess clunk. I personally think it is something in the forks cause it sounds/feels like it is coming from the bottom of the fork. Will check the ABS ring.

My 08 also has a noticable clunk in the front suspension when you push down on the forks with the front brake on. No clunk though when the brake is off and the forks are compressed.

My 08 feels like the head bearings are loose. Compress the forks and I can feel some movement in the bars. :(