Self-tapping Drain Plug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnB

Reaction score
A little too much torque on the plug with a 1/2 socket and my oil pan drain threads are stripped. Does anyone know what the correct size self-tapping drain plug for an '06 is? I'd like to try this solution before I attempt a new oil pan.

Thanks

John

Must be a trend here. I have had poor luck with self tappers over the years. IMHO the Heli-Coil or similar thread insert is the way to go. It gives you a SS thread and is stronger than original and it can be done in place. :D

Must be a trend here. I have had poor luck with self tappers over the years. IMHO the Heli-Coil or similar thread insert is the way to go. It gives you a SS thread and is stronger than original and it can be done in place. :D
+1 on the Heli-Coil.

Must be a trend here. I have had poor luck with self tappers over the years.
By "poor luck" do you mean that you had trouble installing them and had to abandon the effort or do you mean that the install went fine but the plug eventually came out and dumped hot oil all over your rear tire at 70 mph? :rolleyes:

By "poor luck" do you mean that you had trouble installing them and had to abandon the effort or do you mean that the install went fine but the plug eventually came out and dumped hot oil all over your rear tire at 70 mph? :rolleyes:
The problem I have had is the self tapper does a pretty good job of making a piss poor thread and when you remove it whats left of the threads comes with it leaving an even larger hole. If you Heli-Coil the hole you end up with standard threads made out of stainless. I think the thread is 14x1.25mm.

The problem I have had is the self tapper does a pretty good job of making a piss poor thread and when you remove it whats left of the threads comes with it leaving an even larger hole. If you Heli-Coil the hole you end up with standard threads made out of stainless. I think the thread is 14x1.25mm.
Ray,

Is this the right Heli for the job? It's 14x1.25 but says it's for spark plugs. The local auto supply has them:

https://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/HEL-5334-14.html

It is cheaper and safer in the long run to replace the whole pan. You can get a brand new one for under 100 for sure. I replaced my friends R6 for like 50. And it would be faster and cleaner as well.

Ray,

Is this the right Heli for the job? It's 14x1.25 but says it's for spark plugs. The local auto supply has them:

https://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/HEL-5334-14.html
Thats it. just follow the directions and you will be suprised how easy it is.

A little too much torque on the plug with a 1/2 socket and my oil pan drain threads are stripped. Does anyone know what the correct size self-tapping drain plug for an '06 is? I'd like to try this solution before I attempt a new oil pan.

Thanks

John

Was your oil pan issue resolved? Did you put in a self tapper or go with the whole pan. I've been reading up on this because mine stripped too on my first 600 mile change. The bolt was so tight I'm convinced even if the dealer would have changed the oil I would have eventually had a leak. I'm going to battle it out tomorrow at the dealer and shoot for getting this covered.

I definately got more than I bargined for on a #@##@#@ oil change!

Never really liked Heli-coils. Try a Time-sert, its solid with two little tits you pound in to lock them in.

I use Loctite red to glue it in. I'm pretty sure you can get one that size.

Was your oil pan issue resolved? Did you put in a self tapper or go with the whole pan. I've been reading up on this because mine stripped too on my first 600 mile change. The bolt was so tight I'm convinced even if the dealer would have changed the oil I would have eventually had a leak. I'm going to battle it out tomorrow at the dealer and shoot for getting this covered.
I attempted a Perma-coil (like a heli coil) but the insert would't stay in when removing the drain plug. It seemed like the oil pan material was too soft to allow the insert to lock into it. So, I bit the bullit and bought all the parts to replace the pan from Ron Ayers. It's a time consuming job especially if you've never taken everyting apart before, but not very difficult. Having a service manual helps. I removed all the bodywork, drained the coolant and removed the exhaust last weekend. I should be able to drop and replace the pan and put everything back together this weekend.

I attempted a Perma-coil (like a heli coil) but the insert would't stay in when removing the drain plug. It seemed like the oil pan material was too soft to allow the insert to lock into it. So, I bit the bullit and bought all the parts to replace the pan from Ron Ayers. It's a time consuming job especially if you've never taken everyting apart before, but not very difficult. Having a service manual helps. I removed all the bodywork, drained the coolant and removed the exhaust last weekend. I should be able to drop and replace the pan and put everything back together this weekend.
Along these same lines, I have not had good luck with Heli-coils when there are few threads to 'lock' the coil in. As I did not check for this, nor had any reason to, at my last oil change, I would imagine that there are not very many threads in the reatively thin material of the oil pan drain. The only applications I have used them for were for repairs similar in no. of threads as, say a spark plug--something with some 'meat' to acccept Heli-coil. .02