Electronic Shift

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjrpilot1945

Reaction score
Most of what I read on the fjr forum is fairly negative about the 06 electronic shift. Too bad since most that are posting don't really know what they are talking about.

The E shift is going to be "The Super Sport Touring Bike of the Year". Problem is most that have posted won't know it until the bike has had some test ride result published, or they have actually ridden it themselves. This bike is going to be the cat's rear end.

It is difficult to accept change or leave our comfort zone. Human nature! That's why a few fly to the moon and the masses stay in podunk, usa. Those who want to stay within their comfort zone should buy an A model. Those who want the latest technology in an electronic clutch with all the advantages of a shiftable transmission are going to be delighted with an AE model. It's gonna fly Smooothly!

Fly with me. My AE is on order!

Guess I'll keep the 05 as a backup just in case I don't know what I am talking about!!

The bottom line is: Ride an FJR... Any FJR!

Wow .... sounds like ol' Mr. 1945 may have inside info on this subject. He talks like he has already ridden, or better yet, designed, this system. See, that is why I love this place, only 3 posts to his credit and he just oozzes information. :rolleyes:

I think Yamaha is going to try to tap in to the law enforcement market with the Fjr E shift. Sounds like the perfect setup for all day city riding.

<_<

I think Yamaha is going to try to tap in to the law enforcement market with the Fjr E shift. Sounds like the perfect setup for all day city riding.
<_<
Can you ride and shoot with your left hand at the same time? I'd be TOTALLY INTERESTED in one if so!

Maybe you could tell us about your test ride on the AE then ?  <_<
crylarfing.gif
crylarfing.gif
crylarfing.gif
crylarfing.gif
crylarfing.gif

Why aren't you guys still "kick starting" your bikes? Must be technology!

By the way, I'll give you that AE test ride report in May!

Another high tech choice for you:

Your Majesty

<<<quoted from site >>>

New-design double-cog V-belt constantly variable automatic transmission makes Majesty a twist-the-throttle-and-go machine.

<<<quoted from site >>>

With your free hand, you can dial your tri-mode cellphone, or select a song on your Ipod Nano.

With an A and AE model in the garage come May, I can take the AE out on Scooter Days!

A man who knows how will always have a job. A man who knows why will always be his boss!

Why aren't you guys still "kick starting" your bikes? Must be technology!
I really do miss kick starters. Starters and the larger batteries they require add weight. And, for bikes that had both electric and kick start it gave a reliable starting mechanism when the battery was low.

Also, it was always good for a couple of grins whenever a Harley rider got flung off his bike when the kick starter kicked back. :lol:

Another high tech choice for you:
Your Majesty

<<<quoted from site >>>

New-design double-cog V-belt constantly variable automatic transmission makes Majesty a twist-the-throttle-and-go machine.

<<<quoted from site >>>

With your free hand, you can dial your tri-mode cellphone, or select a song on your Ipod Nano.
Wow, gotta love these features:

Key Features:
This high-tech transportation unit blurs the boundaries between scooter and motorcycle — highly utilitarian high performance.

Rugged and reliable four-stroke engine and fully automatic transmission mean hit the starter button and go.

More than enough power to run with fast traffic, room for two, and almost as much storage as a small car.

Step-motor controlled, automatic idle speed control and throttle position sensor for immediate start-up and ride-away performance.

Hey, the features for the Majesty are mighty similar to the features for the FJR...

Well, as far as storage capacity, rugged engine, gauges, etc......

Last edited:
Hey, the features for the Majesty are mighty similar to the features for the FJR...
Well, as far as storage capacity, rugged engine, gauges, etc......
Probably doesn't generate a lot of heat either. Wonder what it will look and sound like with a nice set of slip-ons. :taunt:

Sure hope FJRPILOT1945 is right. My "AE" is on the slow boat! Back in May to post a rider report.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there may be something to this AE business. My wife has an 04 Bergman that she loves to ride, but hates to look at (bought it new and has 700 miles on it). We went out last Sunday on her 01 Honda ACE750, (bought it new and has 9000 miles on it). At the end of the ride she said she loved the look of the bike, but was not going to fool with some 1960’s gear shifting routine. “Find me an auto bike” or the food services at our house will seriously suffer. Hummmm. I am taking the day off, Friday, to look at Ridleys. She hated my Wing, called it The Fat Butt Bike. She loved my Blackbird, but likes my FJR better because it has more long-range comfort. I think if the FJR had a full auto trans she would buy it, and be happy to pay 15k or 16k to get what she wants. I have no idea what the depth of this market might be; but, I know where there would be one sale.

Bottom line - like shifting my bike. Most all vehicles have autos now, think it's a refreshing change to bang the gears on the FJR. I'm not against the auto, just think it would have a better place on a bike like the Wing w/ the airbag. With all the great bikes on the market, can't believe anyone would want two of the same even if one has an auto shifter.