Best Windshield?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBluesman

Some call me... The STIG!
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good, well OK great winsdshield that will keep me warmer in the winter by delflecting the air flow around me. I'll be looking for a tall or at least large to do this. I'm 5'-11". I hear the Cee Bailey flip top is very good and keeps the shield steady. How does that compare to the VStream (noise, wind, etc)? Any advice or other options?

I'm looking for a good, well OK great winsdshield that will keep me warmer in the winter by delflecting the air flow around me. I'll be looking for a tall or at least large to do this. I'm 5'-11". I hear the Cee Bailey flip top is very good and keeps the shield steady. How does that compare to the VStream (noise, wind, etc)? Any advice or other options?
Don't forget about the Yamaha Touring Shield. It's an great inexpensive choice in my book.

Awesome input guys, thank you. Now I'll spend the rest of the season looking at the threads. There are some great ideas from the clickys you gave me, and a plethora of ways to combat this. I love good ole American ingenuity!

Has anyone checked out the video on how different windshield react to different types of impacts? Although I just got my '08 FJR, so I can't say which windshield fits me best. I have ordered the Yamaha touring windshield. Now I'm just waiting for it to get off of the "back ordered" list. I did have a guy that is using the VStream windshield offered through National Cycle and says it works great. The video shows how Polycarbonate has 4x the strength of aircraft Acrylic and 10x the impact resistance.

I feel the Yamaha shield will fit me better because I'm 6'4" and need the extra height. I get beat up pretty bad with the stock windshield. But then it's been super windy here in the desert the past week, so I have not had a perfect riding day since I picked the bike up.

Click the link below to see the video.

National Cycle

Don't forget about the Yamaha Touring Shield. It's an great inexpensive choice in my book.
2nd that, at least for a genII. It has smooth airflow when down for me, a little buffeting when raised. Provides good cooling as well, it will be my summer shield. It also hands down looks the best, next to the stock shield.

Awesome idea! I need Gen1 syuuf and most of Barabus' stuff is Gen2. I'll check with him, thanks.
Dummy! Fairlaner has a boatload of Gen I screens... He had them all out at tech day and I scooped up the Cee Bailey's +4 smoked for a song! Call him.

But, to directly answer your question: The best windshield is the one that works best for you. No two riders will find exactly the same results for any given screen.

I had the stock Yamaha shield hated it went to Yamaha touring not that much better, went to Rifle touring with tuning block like it a lot.

I have the V-Stream and really like it. I am a little over 5,11 and with the windshield in the full up position its almost to high, I can run with it down just a little. I like to see over the top of it. The V-Stream is 2 inches taller than the stock shield and very quiet. Its a nice improvement over the stock one. :yahoo:

The V-Stream works well for me.

I'm 5'11" and greatly prefer it over the stock shield.

Smooth air-flow and virtually zero helmet buffeting.

I also don't need to raise the V-Stream all the way up.

Recommended.

+1 on the V Stream for 5-11 rider.

Much better than stock or Yamaha Touring.

Haven't tried others, haven't seen the need.

Awesome idea! I need Gen1 syuuf and most of Barabus' stuff is Gen2. I'll check with him, thanks.
Dummy! Fairlaner has a boatload of Gen I screens... He had them all out at tech day and I scooped up the Cee Bailey's +4 smoked for a song! Call him.

+1 I've got 2 coming from him, due in the mail today. I was in the same situation and put out a wanted message and got 2 shields for better than the price of one...one of them sure will work. It sounded like he had a number of others as well. I plan on doing some more horsetrading if these don't work.

I been very happy with a California Scientific windshield on my '07. These guys really seem to understand airflow. Mine is +4 inches in height over stock but I rarely use it full up. I'm 6'1" and found that the CS windshield does a nice job creating a smooth airflow over my helmet at about mid height. I had a CC Bailey on an '05 and thought it created a lot of turbulance with the reverse flip design. For what its worth. :rolleyes: