Ticking repair question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack

Reaction score
This question has been addressed to a degree previously, but I wanted some additional feedback from this group before committing. It's a two parter: If I bought say an '05 and it either developed the tick or already had it, could I be confident that a Yamaha dealer would fix it gratis? Second, is there a dealer in the Kansas City area that anyone either recommends, or has had 'ticking' experience with?

Thanks, Jack.

This question has been addressed to a degree previously, but I wanted some additional feedback from this group before committing. It's a two parter: If I bought say an '05 and it either developed the tick or already had it, could I be confident that a Yamaha dealer would fix it gratis?
Yamaha has been repairing "tickers". It helps if theparticular dealer eithere knows about the problem or has a good working relationship with Yamaha Cypress. There is support information available in the OldGen Bin-O-Facts.
Then again, the percentage that develop "the tick" isn't huge. Mine has been "noisy" since the begining. At 32K+ miles I have just made arrangements for a local experienced dealer to order the parts and he'll call me when they arrive. However, I did purchase the YES, just in case.

Second, is there a dealer in the Kansas City area that anyone either recommends, or has had 'ticking' experience with?Thanks, Jack.
Okay...any local owners???

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamaha has been goodwilling the repair, but it is a little bit of a case-by-case thing and you may need to escalate to get past the initial resistance.

I think the main thing you're depending on is the low incidence of failure - that's certainly what I'm depending on with 18K and a quiet engine in my 2005. (But I also don't ride around with one ear down at the cylinder head wondering if if every little noise is the beginnings of the dreaded tick - who needs that!) Regardless of who pays, I have no interest in seeing my bike tore down by the monkeys at a typicaly Yamaha dealership. I could see your bike coming back worse than when it went into the shop.

If the risk is of real concern to you, I'd get a 2nd gen. Who is paying wouldn't be a big factor in my decision to buy a 1st gen.

- Mark

This question has been addressed to a degree previously, but I wanted some additional feedback from this group before committing. It's a two parter: If I bought say an '05 and it either developed the tick or already had it, could I be confident that a Yamaha dealer would fix it gratis? Second, is there a dealer in the Kansas City area that anyone either recommends, or has had 'ticking' experience with?Thanks, Jack.
On this forum we've heard of bikes being fixed both in & out of warranty, so I wouldn't be too worried about that, though some have had to work a bit to get it done. Mine was done here in Manhattan, KS last year at my local dealer, who had not done it before, & I've been happy w/it. Took longer than I'd have liked, but they gave me a loner till it was done. If the bike was a good deal (and currently a non-ticker), I wouldn't be concerned about buying it. Good luck.

Yamaha has been goodwilling the repair, but it is a little bit of a case-by-case thing and you may need to escalate to get past the initial resistance.
I think the main thing you're depending on is the low incidence of failure - that's certainly what I'm depending on with 18K and a quiet engine in my 2005. (But I also don't ride around with one ear down at the cylinder head wondering if if every little noise is the beginnings of the dreaded tick - who needs that!) Regardless of who pays, I have no interest in seeing my bike tore down by the monkeys at a typicaly Yamaha dealership. I could see your bike coming back worse than when it went into the shop.

If the risk is of real concern to you, I'd get a 2nd gen. Who is paying wouldn't be a big factor in my decision to buy a 1st gen.

- Mark
WRONG....nobody knows the actual numbers involved here because the official line from Yamaha has been: we`re not aware of any problems with the FJR valve train. They have left the dealer network in the dark about this since day one in North America. In the ole days of this and other forums, 3% was bandied about. Then, 7% was going around. The last unscientific survey that I recall, the numbers equated to about 25%. I always thought that the problem was much bigger than anyone was willing to imagine...there was always a fair degree of denial amongst a certain group of riders. Now, it`s been about 6 years since the intro to the N.A. market for this platform, and the tickers are still coming out of the woodwork/closet (03-05). Nobody can say for sure that there is "a low incidence of failure"...that would only be wishfull thinking and I certainly cannot blame anybody for thinking that way. But, mark my words Jack and Mark...a day of reckoning is at hand for the 1st gen owners who deny it will happen to them. Get the 2nd gen Jack...just be sure your aware of a few issues associated the latest iteration. :angry:

Nobody can say for sure that there is "a low incidence of failure"...that would only be wishfull thinking and I certainly cannot blame anybody for thinking that way.

Conversely, no one can say for sure there is a high or even moderate rate of failure because no one has the actual numbers but Yamaha and they aren't saying.

WRONG....nobody knows the actual numbers involved here because the official line from Yamaha has been: we`re not aware of any problems with the FJR valve train. They have left the dealer network in the dark about this since day one in North America. In the ole days of this and other forums, 3% was bandied about. Then, 7% was going around. The last unscientific survey that I recall, the numbers equated to about 25%. I always thought that the problem was much bigger than anyone was willing to imagine...there was always a fair degree of denial amongst a certain group of riders. Now, it`s been about 6 years since the intro to the N.A. market for this platform, and the tickers are still coming out of the woodwork/closet (03-05). Nobody can say for sure that there is "a low incidence of failure"...that would only be wishfull thinking and I certainly cannot blame anybody for thinking that way. But, mark my words Jack and Mark...a day of reckoning is at hand for the 1st gen owners who deny it will happen to them. Get the 2nd gen Jack...just be sure your aware of a few issues associated the latest iteration. :angry:
Look, you readily admit that you don't know what the real number is either, so knock off the WRONG crap.

If 25% of the 03-05's are tickers, there would be hundreds of posts here about tickers, but instead we get a trickle of one every month or three. And the idea that they all are going to go bad eventually is BS because there are hundreds of 1st gen bike that have 100K+ miles without a problem.

The idea that all 1st gen FJRs are going to eventually be tickers makes about as much sense at the idea that all BMWs are eventually going to have final drive failures. In both cases, it's a small risk that tens of thousands of riders manage to live with while getting great service from their motorcycles.

- Mark

- Mark...bullshit...while i can`t comment on the beemers (cuz I ain`t been following that debacle), IT IS`NT A "SMALL RISK" FOR POTENTIAL USED FJR BUYERS ! Fer krysts sakes man ,where have u been the last 5 years...it`s a well known fact...there are guys out there enjoying great service (I`ll give u that), who are either deaf or dumb when it comes to this flaw. What the hell are u smokin? :assassin:

- Mark...bullshit...while i can`t comment on the beemers (cuz I ain`t been following that debacle), IT IS`NT A "SMALL RISK" FOR POTENTIAL USED FJR BUYERS ! Fer krysts sakes man ,where have u been the last 5 years...it`s a well known fact...there are guys out there enjoying great service (I`ll give u that), who are either deaf or dumb when it comes to this flaw. What the hell are u smokin? :assassin:
Yo, Chicken Little. They sky is NOT falling.

What the hell are U smokin, dude?

Yo, Chicken Little. They sky is NOT falling.

What the hell are U smokin, dude?
...yeah right...this coming from a guy who`s had a ticker for 80,000 miles and has always denied it even when other riders have heard it and told him so...and he still denied it. WOW, REALITY...WHAT A CONCEPT. That proves it: I rest my case your honour! :clapping:

...yeah right...this coming from a guy who`s had a ticker for 80,000 miles and has always denied it even when other riders have heard it and told him so...and he still denied it. WOW, REALITY...WHAT A CONCEPT. That proves it: I rest my case your honour! :clapping:
Uhhhhh..........Bueller?!?!?

You might want to get your facts straight before you go opening up with that verbal diarrhea that you are spewing. :angry2:

While you are partly correct and it is true that a) my FJR is a noisy SOB, and B) it was thought to be a ticker early in it's life by some................

the FACTS are.....................

at 105,000 miles (not kilometers for you Canadian Hosers, eh?), I took it to Desert Valley Powersposts (aka FJRGoodies) the premier ticker repair dealership in the country. They have diagnosed and repaired a bunchload (over 30?), and after a thorough diagnosis of my FJR, they declared it NOT a ticker.

I now have 137,000 miles on the clock. Not any louder than it has ever been. No oil consumption. No oil seepage from the exhuast. Still purrs like a kitten.

So what REALITY exacty are you living in CONWEST?????

The winter blues driving you NUTS?

Gonna be in the mid 60s here today.

Too da loo!

Mr. conwest, I don't know if the arctic chill has frozen your brain cells -- or if you have taken too many stoopid pills -- or you are actually downn2 in disguise but your "facts" are wrong and your logic and analytical skills absolutely SUCK. Since you claim to own a 07, which doesn't seem to have any tick issues, why are you commenting on this issue except to be a troublemaker?

The tick was a big issue 3 years ago but since then it has been demonstrated that:

(1) less than 2 percent of the 03/04/05 models have been confirmed to be tickers,

(2) No one is ever going to break down or ruin a vacation because of the tick,

(3) Yamaha will fix the tickers at your convenience whether they are in warranty or not,

(4) Yamaha now has a solution to stop the tick from happening a second time.

There are a lot of things in this world to worry about but having a FJR become a ticker isn't one of them -- and even if you were right about SkooterG's 04 being a ticker for 80,000 miles (and you really don't know what you are talking about there either), that would just be more evidence that the tick isn't something to worry about.

137,000 miles? Wow, you ride alot... :lol:
He's a riding slut.. :lol: Apparently, needing almost no/any reason to ride? :huh: :unsure: :)

'MCRIDER007': ... evidence that the tick isn't something to worry about.
Are you forgetting the Australian Factory Service Bulletin? Or, 'Warchild's well-documented Gen I debacle?

I'm of the opinion that all of the Gen I FJRs have the seeds of their own cylinder head/valve guide destruction built-in. :(

What's up dude? You're pretty angry for a Canadian.... I have an '05 and if it ever starts to tick, I'll just go get it fixed on Yamaha's dime.... what's the big deal? Chill my friend.

Ticker or no ticker, engines are explosion containment devices and I have never heard a silent one. Anyone here that owns a 4 cyl. Tacoma knows about ticking and about trucks that regularly go for 200,000+ miles with no major engine problems. You want silence get an electric motorcycle.