AE "SHIFT LIGHT" Illumination

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06FJRAEPILOT

Reaction score
06 AE with 16,000 miles.

Sitting at a stop light at idle still in first gear I attempted to pull away when the light truned green. The bike wouldn't move, however engine rpm increased with throttle movement. I looked down and noticed on the instrument panel that the "shift light" was illuminated. I had to shut the bike down, restart and then everything was again normal until the next stop light where I had a repeat occurance.

On the ride I had the problem four or five times. Anyone have any ideas?

I had just done a cruise control install, and my throttle wasn't bottoming out. It raised my RPM's to about 1245. Once I fixed that, everything was fine again. I set mine at about 1050.

I went out and took a second look at the engine idle. I thought it was set at 1100 rpm at the time of my last throttle body adjustment. Not long ago. Well, I also installed a cruise control months ago and didn't have any adverse effects. On the second look I found that the engine idle was about a hundred-fifty rph high. I rolled it back to 1000 rpm and took it out for a test ride. So far I haven't had a recurrance of the original problem of no transmission engagement and "illuminated shift light". Hopefully the problem is solved. I will keep you posted after I have a chance to put a full days ride in. Meanwhile, thanks for your help!