Bar end weights gap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadi

Reaction score
We installed these bar end weights from HVMP. As you can see there is a large gap. No modification to the grips, they are the standard Yamaha heated grips. Any advice on how to close the gap.

Gadi

Barendweights.jpg

You could mill down the inserted section of the bar end the distance of the gap minus about 1/16".

Just be careful on the throttle side that you don't cause any binding by grinding down it too short.

If you do it, sneak up on the perfect gap. But if you do go too far you could always correct by adding

a washer as a spacer.

We installed these bar end weights from HVMP. As you can see there is a large gap. No modification to the grips, they are the standard Yamaha heated grips. Any advice on how to close the gap.

Yep... install the V-Strom Hand Guards. The gap goes away, and your hands are out of the cold air-stream:

ClutchSideInstalled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yep... install the V-Strom Hand Guards. The gap goes away, and your hands are out of the cold air-stream:

ClutchSideInstalled.jpg
I contacted HVMP and thet sent me back this reply.

"This happened once before and I think it was due to Part #6 (6: HOLDER, DAMPER 290029-001) [see attached picture] not being in far enough. My first suggestion is to ask your dealer or a motorcycle tech if they can move that part inward a bit. They should know how to accomplish this rather simply."

From the exploded diagram this seems a little complicated for just a bar end weight. Should they not have just manuactured the weight to fir the stock grip properly.

YA-20050000057913Yamahapart.jpg

Remove the HVMP end weight off and line them up next to the stock end weight such that the *outer* (larger) flange areas (closest to the grip) line up together. Then compare the length of the two inner flanged areas.

If they are the same, HVMP isn't to blame.

If the stock end weight inner flange is shorter than the HVMP end weight, you have a legit argument to take back to them.

We installed these bar end weights from HVMP. As you can see there is a large gap. No modification to the grips, they are the standard Yamaha heated grips. Any advice on how to close the gap.Gadi

Barendweights.jpg

I had the same problem. I just trimmed down a toilet gasket with an excato knife and a dremmel to space in there and it fits perfect and looks like is was made for it. There's always a way...

We installed these bar end weights from HVMP. As you can see there is a large gap. No modification to the grips, they are the standard Yamaha heated grips. Any advice on how to close the gap.Gadi

Barendweights.jpg

I had the same problem. I just trimmed down a toilet gasket with an excato knife and a dremmel to space in there and it fits perfect and looks like is was made for it. There's always a way...

Can you post a photo? or email to me [email protected]

Remove the HVMP end weight off and line them up next to the stock end weight such that the *outer* (larger) flange areas (closest to the grip) line up together. Then compare the length of the two inner flanged areas.
If they are the same, HVMP isn't to blame.

If the stock end weight inner flange is shorter than the HVMP end weight, you have a legit argument to take back to them.
Problem sovled, thanks to all with some great suggestions and solutions.

Fixedbarendweight.jpg