07A not starting...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
I've had the gas tank off along with the front fairings, cowl, and headlights. The tank is now on but the other items are still off. The starter won't engage but the dash lights are working. Is there a linked wire from the headlights/fairings that must be connected in order for the bike to start?

The batter has been on a tender so I know it's not a battery issue... why won't the starter turn over?

Weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, kill switch in correct position. Both stands are upright. Bike in Neutral. I've tried starting it with all these being moved up/down and then hitting the switch... but the starter has taken a vacation.

There is about 1/2 gallon of gas in the tank...but certainly the the starter would still kick in, right?

One assumes you had the fairings and tan off for a reason. Wiring farkles? Did you by chance blow a main fuse? Any other fuses? Check the battery terminals and make sure they're tight and not corroded? If you did wiring, what circuits did you tap into and have you checked them?

One assumes you had the fairings and tan off for a reason. Wiring farkles? Did you by chance blow a main fuse? Any other fuses? Check the battery terminals and make sure they're tight and not corroded? If you did wiring, what circuits did you tap into and have you checked them?

Nothing is corroded... new bike. The stuff is off to do some wiring which I haven't started yet. You'd think the starter would kick in but it won't..... weird. Is there perhaps a connector-type plug to the starter I've undone?

More info, please.....

Is anything happening at all? Is there no starter activity whatsoever? And solenoid "clicking" noises?

Are you saying the bike won't fire up, or are you saying there is no starter movement at all, or....???

You plugged both plugs back into the tank right? No error messages on the LCD?

More info, please.....
Is anything happening at all? Is there no starter activity whatsoever? And solenoid "clicking" noises?

Are you saying the bike won't fire up, or are you saying there is no starter movement at all, or....???

Gunny!

Another question, when you turn the key to 'on', do you hear th fuel pump doing it's second or so of whirring?

Both tank plugs are plugged in. The Fuel line is connected. The batter has been on a tender so that's not it. When I took off the fairings and cowl, I only disconnected what had to be disconnected to pull of the cowl and fairings.

When I turn the key to "on" it goes thru the normal "whirr" and all the dash-stuff does it's cycle. All the dash lights are on and the "check engine" light is not on. No error mssgs on the dash. Even the temp gauge is working along with the gear gauge.

Then I press "start" and nothing. No noise from the solenoid or starter. The dash lights don't flicker... they are still on.

I will put more gas into the tank and see what happens. I will undo and redo the tank connections.

I've done nothing to the bike that would cause a fuse to blow... all I did was take off the tank, fairings, and cowl in preparation to do some wiring. I put the tank back on so I could run some 2-cycle oil thru the engine. The fairings and cowl and headlight are still off. No one has tampered with the bike.

Have I discovered some new way that the FJR won't start? Maybe a neighbor who has a bmw snuck over one night and switched out my engine with his bmw engine??

Just to clarify.........besides the gauges doing their dance, you hear the fuel pump when switching to 'on'?

This is really odd.

Other stuff off the top of my head..........

- I take it you are on the center stand, so the sidestand is not down and you are not in gear?

- Have you tried thumbing the starter with the clutch pulled in? Clutch lever out? In gear? Out of gear? In gear?

It could definitely be one of the safety switches - sidestand or clutch. Or not.

I assume you have, but have you cycled the key several times?

I had something similar happen to me once, and it was a dirty ignition switch. After cycling the switch many times, all was good again. Of course, that was at about 80,000 miles and after being parked outside overnight at a dusty location.

I'm guessing this was done, but when you pulled everything else off did you label the connections? Did you have to remove something to get at a part that might not have been necessary???? I just worked on my Jeep today and I have to disconnect the aux fan to get at something else; sometimes I forget to plug that fan back in...

Even if the battery has been on a tender, is it convenient to take it into a parts store or dealership to have them test it? Or steal the one from your bmw neighbor's ? Maybe the battery has enough to get the dash/fuel pump going but not enough amps to turn over the starter?????

Just ideas...

I start the bidding at 50 USD, for the bike that won't start! :rolleyes:

Most of my bike failures have been due to my mechanical inpetitude, so *most likely* you did something, umm... ([SIZE=8pt]well, never mind)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Keep us posted with what you find out, we all love a good mystery... :rolleyes: [/SIZE]

Does having the lights disconnected, fail to complete any electrical circuit that is a 'required' component to starting the bike?

And I am with ScooterG....what noise comes from the fuel pump?

Also...if she won't crank over...adding more fuel to the tank is going to do Sweet FA. If the starter doesn't crank...I'd be 'starting' there...trace your wiring/connections....something isn't 'seated' right.

Battery would be my first target. Check it's good... for sure. You assume it is, but I've made assumptions in the past that screwed me over. Could be, your tender cooked the sucker.

I hope it's a simple fix Eagle. Keep us posted..... good luck!

Putting gas into a tank of a bike that's starter won't turn isn't going to make the starter turn. If the parking lights come on, the gauges do their dance, and the fuel pump is priming, it is clearly an electrical issue in that something is not connecting when you hit the starter switch. I'd focus on wiring issues, especially related to the side stand and starter.

Also, don't forget to see if the tip over alert has been triggered. I can't remember if that shuts off the fuel or the starter. I think just the fuel, but I'm on prescription drugs right now, I also thought I saw a puddy tat.

I wanted to add some really clever, smart suggestion, something really elaborate..

But you guys have already covered them all..

Bugger you all. (no that's not an offer)

Edit. I did think of something but it's lame..

In Aus it's law that motorcycles have their headlights on. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a tie in to the Headlight circuit to ensure lights are on before starting.

Does Yamaha sell a kick start kit? Then you could change a side cover on the engine and add a kick lever.

Ta-Da... that'll be a $50 consulting fee thank you.

I'm with FJRAust. Betting something to do with the headlight circuit. I say put everything back together and then try and start making sure all items plugged back in, kickstand up, kill swith in running position. If that doesn't work, put the bike in second or third gear with clutch out while sitting on the bike and give it a slight push forward causing the engine/trans to rotate slightly, then try and start. Good luck.PM. <>< :D