Rear Suspension adjuster not clicking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROBSMST

Reaction score
Hi,

So today I decided to check my suspension settings and all was fine until I got tot he rear. I heard 12 clicks to the right (which means it was stock) and then when I went to click to the left I only heard one click. At that point I took it to the left (counter clockwise) until it felt like it was 12 clicks but I did not hear any clicks.

Any thoughts? It is an 06 AE with about 7K.

Can you see movement on the shaft? I just so happen to have an extra shock laying around (more on that another day). ;)

I get 1/8" of exposure when it's all the way counter clockwise (down) and about 50 clicks clockwise (up) it's covered.

MW274032b.JPG

MW274033b.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you see movement on the shaft? I just so happen to have an extra shock laying around (more on that another day). ;)
I get 1/8" of exposure when it's all the way counter clockwise (down) and about 50 clicks clockwise (up) it's covered.

MW274032b.JPG

MW274033b.JPG
I will check tomorrow to see if I get movement on the shaft.

The shaft does move. So I guess it still works. I will just have to adjust as I ride.

Anyone have any thoughts on what may have gone wrong or whether I would be in any danger by riding like this?

The shaft does move. So I guess it still works. I will just have to adjust as I ride.
Anyone have any thoughts on what may have gone wrong or whether I would be in any danger by riding like this?
If the feeling of clicks have gone away, the shaft is moving, and the action of the shock doesn't seem unusual...I wouldn't worry about it.

However, those stockers are not the longest for the world and many folks have been very, very happy with their various upgraded shocks...even though they do cost a part of an arm. ;)

Actually the damping rod is stuck in the closed position, when you closed the clicker down to count the clicks, you may have tightened it too much, causing the rod to hang up.

Back off the adjuster and try bouncing the bike, it might free the damping rod. If not you may have to pull the shock and remove the adjuster.

Inside the shaft of the shock you will see a rod the runs up through the shaft, the adjuster pushes the rod up to close. Take a small pick and try to pull it back down slightly.

Reassemble and everything should work normally.

okay, took it off the center stand and it worked. What ever was lodged became dislodged and it now clicks again. Was able to set it back to stock so i can start resetting the entire thing.

Thank you all for your help!