GenI fairing and cowl removal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfooshee

O, Woe is me!!
Reaction score
This is for FJRs up to 2005. For 2006 and later, see Kaitsdad's thread here. You can also refer to that thread for info about the storage box and the headlight adjustment knobs, which later Gen-I bikes have, but which are not on my 2003.

After my lowside back in October I got all new plastic for the front of the bike, but I didn't think to take any pictures of the removal/installation then. Selfish and inconsiderate, I know, and gee whiz, I apologize sincerely. . . . .

One of the damaged items was a slight bend in the bracket the left mirror bolts to, and during the repair I didn't quite get it right. My left mirror has been at the limit of its outward and upward adjustment, and it still shows me my elbow and the saddle bag. And this IS an FZ-1 mirror. I've been putting off going in after the bracket again, because it means pulling the nose fairing, but now that I'm fed up with it, and I've seen some "how do I?" posts, I thought I'd go back in, and document it. It's a gorgeous day, mid-60s, but I don't have any gas money, so I might as well dig into the bike.

In the pics you'll see some things not on your bike. The wiring harness for the control buttons on my Audivox cruise control pass through the left upper fairing, so that's in some pictures, and I have a gear indicator at the top of my gauge cluster, and its wiring shows in a few places. Also, each of these pics, at 600x450, is probably big enough to use, but they're links to larger 1280x960 images. Click the pic to get the big one.

Tools needed: both hex keys from the bike's tool kit and one of the wrenches with a 10mm end. Also from your own tools, a Phillips-head screwdriver, and if you have sliders like I do, tools to get those out of the way. Mine are through-the-fairing, so I just need a 19mm socket.

39991790104_6690ed191b_o.jpg

Start with the inner panels. Look here for instructions. Of course the '04 and '05 have the glove box which is not mentioned there. Doesn't change the sequence for the inner panels, and once the lower fairing is off the bolts to remove the glove box will be exposed.

Once the dash panels are done, the next step is the side fairings. These have an inner cover that needs to come off, and it's easier if you have a little give, so start at the bottom, behind the front wheel, and remove the bolt underneath, and the two in the face under the radiator. That lets you spread the fairing panels a bit.

40702044401_4b898bd6f9_o.jpg

Here's the inner panel on the left side. Remove the plastic rivet at the top, and three Phillips-head screws, circled. Right side is the same.

39991790794_364930b28b_o.jpg

Once the inner panel is removed, you find the connectors for the front turn signal/running lights. The colors are actually supposed to match at each connector, but mine don't. Apparently the previous owner swapped the left and right lamp assemblies at some stage of some repair, and I can't be bothered to correct it. Also, the crimp tap connector is where I got switched power for an accessories strip. Don't be alarmed not to find it on yours, it's not stock.

(Edit: I have since corrected the color match in the wires by swapping the lights back to the correct sides. One was melted a bit on the top, apparently the reason they were swapped over, so the melted part was hidden. Dunno how he did that, though. Also, I've removed all the crimp taps and soldered the connections and covered them with heat shrink tubing. CC got flaky, found corrosion in the connectors.)

39991790014_a389e2c26f_o.jpg

With the turn signal/running lights disconneted, we're ready to remove the lower fairings. Remove the five 4mm hex-key bolts circled. The two that go into the bike's frame are different from the three at the top. Careful with the hex key, don't scratch the paint.

39806578345_551d2da402_o.jpg

At this point, if you haven't done this before you start looking for bolts to remove the upper fairings, and usually not finding all of them. It's possible but difficult to remove the left side but the right has at least one bolt which is inaccessible with the battery in place.

To continue, first we need to remove the windshield and mirrors. The mirrors are held by these two 10mm nuts on each side. Remove them and catch the mirrors before they hit the ground.

39991790514_62aa1d754d_o.jpg

Now the windshield. Run it to the lowest position to relieve tension in the springs. Remove the seven plastic Phillips bolts. I leave the center one for last to keep the weight balanced.

39806577355_e2b1cfa10e_o.jpg

Now remove the two bolts circled here, that connect the windshield bracket to the motor arm.

40702044571_5035bd965c_o.jpg

Remove the 10mm acorn nut circled here (on each side.) The bolt needs the larger hex key from your tool kit, 5mm. Apparently the arm is cast with Cheeze Whiz (or something) so don't apply a lot of force to the arm, just torque to the bolts. Ask TWN.

39991789634_544d7c4afc_o.jpg

Now turn the key on and run the windshield motor up at least half way. Now you can remove the center cover, just the one bolt, and slide it off.

39806577835_05094bab75_o.jpg

Run the motor all the way down, retracting the arm inside the front cowl. Turn your key off, too.

39806577685_c09a02074c_o.jpg

Now the whole front cowl is ready to come off the bike as an assembly. Only four bolts hold it. First, disconnect the headlight wiring from the bulbs:

40702044311_838dd85e43_o.jpg

then remove these two Phillips bolts from each side:

39806578435_845c885d70_o.jpg

The whole cowl now slides forward off the bike. Pull it straight forward.

39806578165_cced88f22e_o.jpg

What's left is not the world's most attractive naked bike. This kind of nakedness is kinda like throwing the shower curtain open and finding your grandma instead of your fantasy babe.

39806577615_de077b33a0_o.jpg

While we're here, might as well reference the relay positions. (This was taken at a later time when it was discovered that the service manual actually locates them incorrectly. This labelling is from actually testing the functions. It's also possible that '04 and '05 are still different from this, as I'm told the relay for the glove box latch is up here.)

39991790324_28313a079d_o.jpg

Turn the cowl assembly over on a towel to protect the paint, and you find the previously inaccessible bolts quite easy to reach. Remove two 4mm bolts on each side, plus the Phillips in the center, and the headlight assembly comes out.

39806577885_2db10073fc_o.jpg

To remove the upper fairings from the center, remove these three bolts from each side, and be careful of the tab at the bottom. It's not a disaster if it breaks, but if it wasn't supposed to be there, Yammy wouldn't have put it there, would they?

39991789814_76a1aa2cec_o.jpg

39991790914_261e1ff706_o.jpg

39806577495_2928a299e4_o.jpg

Reverse the sequence to put it all back together. When hanging the lower fairing, put the top into the upper fairing, but insert the frame bolt first to carry the fairing's weight. Then put in the three bolts to the upper fairing, and finally the lowest bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for sharing Wfooshee!

the front end dismantle has always daunted me - your step by step is very helpful,

cheers!

great post, but aren't you being a little hard on grandmas and the shower curtain bit? LOL

At the place I work out, there are a couple of cougars that might a nice surprise behind the 'ol curtain :devil: But I digress...

I always though if it weren't for that huge frame spar on either side of the cylinders, that a naked FJR1300 with a smaller fairing and no lowers or bags might be a killer bike! Any thoughs???

great post, but aren't you being a little hard on grandmas and the shower curtain bit? LOL
At the place I work out, there are a couple of cougars that might a nice surprise behind the 'ol curtain :devil: But I digress...

I always though if it weren't for that huge frame spar on either side of the cylinders, that a naked FJR1300 with a smaller fairing and no lowers or bags might be a killer bike! Any thoughs???
Hmm. Now that you mention it, my own wife is a grandma. I dont think of her that way though, cause of course, she's not my grandma, and she's not a blue-haired old lady with a cane to whack rowdy kids with, sitting at the front of the church so she can see and hear. I will not comment about peeking into the shower . . . B)

dsc02481smqw7.jpg

As for the Feejer's frame, it's really just a beam to connect the engine, stressed in this bike, to the stearing head and swing arm, not like the older bikes where the engine sits in a tube space-frame cradle. Huge re-think to make it look good un-faired.

For that look, though, go get yourself an FJ1200, because that's what you're describing.

Used this today! I had to replace the upper and lower cowlings on my left side after a little spill a few weeks ago, and after paying for the parts I had absolutely no intention of paying additional labor fees for the shop to put the stuff on.

Excellent instructions and pics. I am now no longer afraid to pull this stuff off!

Boy, this thread brings back the memories :rolleyes: . Nice job, excellent flow. I've done the same thing about 4 freakin times now, never thought to do a thread on it, go figure.

This was my second or third trip into the nose when I did the pictures. For some reason there had been a rash of questions on the forum about how to get into the front of the bodywork, so I figured I'd help out.

Now if anybody's got a Gen II they wanna bring by so I can experiment explore make a similar post . . . . . :rolleyes:

thanks wfooshee buddy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I used this thread today, great photos and directions, made an impossible job easy. :yahoo: