New Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pablo

Reaction score
This probably sounds like a dumb question, but I'm having trouble putting my bike on its centerstand. Can anyone tell me how to do it. I guess I'm not use to the weight of the bike yet.

There is a grab handle on the left frame under the passenger seat, lift up there with your right hand. I will almost jump onto the stand if you do this, took me a while figure out also.

I used the center stand mosltly for maint. I roll the rear wheel up on a board about an inch thick. That way the stand locks in easier. I have also used phone books when staying at hotels. (I think the bike is more stable on the center stand)

it's not that hard to do without the boards, with me I end up straining my back if I get out of sequence.

I used the center stand mosltly for maint. I roll the rear wheel up on a board about an inch thick. That way the stand locks in easier. I have also used phone books when staying at hotels. (I think the bike is more stable on the center stand)
it's not that hard to do without the boards, with me I end up straining my back if I get out of sequence.
You shouldn't have to pull too hard on it, the key is to get your weight on the stand. Use the heel of your foot and almost* stand on it.

*initially you still have to balance it :)

Here's a trick I figured out: Reach further back with your right hand to the bar on the rear-rack. I seem to get better leverage there, and my frail 150-something-pound body can usually pop it up without chocking one of the wheels for height. Hit it hard and fast, like you're pumping iron!

Other than making shure that you are pulling up and back while transfering almost all of you'r weight to the cent stand lever so that it's as if you are trying to pull the bike apart at that point,..The other tip; there is a point between the stand touching down and it starting to lift the bike that gives you a bit of momentum toward the whole process (it's hard to explain but when you get the knack it will just kinda "pop" up...) And REMEMBER never take the bike off the center stand while standing beside,...Always bring it down whilst in the "seated/ride" position.

-Don

I suggest whilst practicing to be parked next to a tree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other than making shure that you are pulling up and back while transfering almost all of you'r weight to the cent stand lever so that it's as if you are trying to pull the bike apart at that point,..The other tip; there is a point between the stand touching down and it starting to lift the bike that gives you a bit of momentum toward the whole process (it's hard to explain but when you get the knack it will just kinda "pop" up...) And REMEMBER never take the bike off the center stand while standing beside,...Always bring it down whilst in the "seated/ride" position.
-Don
Fine if you're tall enough to be able to sit on the bike to take it off the stand but if not you'll need to practice taking it off from the side too. Helps if you already have the side stand down so you can lean it towards yourself straight away. Once you've figured out it is more a case of pushing down with your foot rather than lifting with your arms/back you'll find getting it on the stand really is a piece of cake.

Another one that can't get it up. :rolleyes:

Left hand on left hand grip, make sure front wheel is straight, right hand grips hand hold cutout under seat on the left side. with you right foot push the center stand down until it contacts the ground. Gently push the bike upright until you feel both legs of the center stand in contact with the ground, then stand on the center stand with your right foot. She'll pop up so fast you,ll be shocked. I would recommend getting some one to help balance the bike the first few times for practice, there have been a few drops while preforming this maneuver . :unsure:

<this topic needs to be added to the newbie FAQs, it is one of the most commonly asked questions and has almost as many threads as oil>

Left hand on the end of the left handle bar just for stability; right hand on the frame lift point (you will feel it) near the top of the left bag; put the center stand down far enough to feel that both feet are touching; STEP DOWN ON THE SIDE STAND and use your RIGHT HAND TO PULL UP & BACK. Do not pull straight up, pull up & back. Once you get it right it will take almost no effort at all with your right hand. In fact, I have to be careful to keep the whole bike from skidding backwards.

Edit: Airboss and I posted at the same time with basically the same info. Advantage Airboss :)

<this topic needs to be added to the newbie FAQs, it is one of the most commonly asked questions and has almost as many threads as oil>
Left hand on the end of the left handle bar just for stability; right hand on the frame lift point (you will feel it) near the top of the left bag; put the center stand down far enough to feel that both feet are touching; STEP DOWN ON THE SIDE STAND and use your RIGHT HAND TO PULL UP & BACK. Do not pull straight up, pull up & back. Once you get it right it will take almost no effort at all with your right hand. In fact, I have to be careful to keep the whole bike from skidding backwards.

Edit: Airboss and I posted at the same time with basically the same info. Advantage Airboss :)
Somethings bear repeating. :lol:

Ha ha.....ionbeam is a .....
loser.jpg

Make sure it's in neutral before you try any of the above suggestions.

Also, I find it's easier if I step down & back on the centerstand. One smooth motion.

Pablo,

The most important thing after grabing and before doing the pushing and pulling is making sure both feet of the center stand are touching the ground. If not, is going to be a lot more harder. Make sure first time you try, there is somebody on the right side ready to bail you out if you mess up and lean the bike too far RIGHT!!! Careful or you could end up Tango to the other side.

1- With the bike perfectly level push slightly on the center stand until it touches the ground.

2- Lean her two inches each way or tell your buddy to tell you when the right one touches (both center stand feet touching).

3- Pull up while leaning your weight on your right foot pushing the lever (force is about 70% pushing/30% pulling).

4- Thaddhaaaaa!!!

PD-Once you do it the first time you know how far to go and recognize when both center stand feet are touching. If you feel your back aching... you are doing too much pulling and not enough pushing. Remember that in this position there is a bigger chance of an accidental tip-over by kids messing around with your baby. If you have these kinda creatures at home be careful leaving the bike like that...Just my two cents!

Pablo,

I've got a lower back problem and cannot lift much weight without aggrivating the condition. What I do is simple and doesn't involve any lifting with the arms whatsoever.

Left hand on the left handlebar. Right hand under the left side frame cutout under the seat. Right foot on the centre stand (the ball of your foot). Left foot steady on the ground. Simply push the stand down to the ground with your right foot, then position your right knee just under your right wrist. Now flex your calf muscles in order to raise your heel as high as possible off the ground (kind of like when you go on your tip-toes).

The bike with be raised up onto the centre stand without any pulling with your arms. Your arms are only used to prevent the bike from falling to the right or left. Your calf muscles do the lifting.

I'm 6' tall - I don't know if those with less height will have sucess with this method or not, but it's worth a try!

I also have lower back problems...2 surgery's. There really is not any real lifting involved, it's more of a leverage thing. once you do it the first time, you'll see how easy it is. JUST MAKE SURE THAT THE CENTER STAND IS FLAT ON THE GROUND...OTHERWISE THE BIKE IS GOING OVER.

I've found that just a slow gentle roll backwards (a few inches) while using the above technique will use the momentum of the bike to lift itself up.

Josh