Crush washer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riderjohn

Reaction score
I probably shouldn't even be asking a question as I've spent the last two hours searching the Internet for what I thought was a simple question and my frame of mind isn't where it should be. I thought I had a simple question and it turns out that Yamaha and the Interenet have kept the answer a closely guarded secret. Enough venting.

Fact: I just bought an 08 FJR. I wanted to know the oil plug crush washer size.

Data: Yamaha doesn't give it in the manual or on their package for part No: 214-11198-01-00. That happens to be a 14mm washer but I'm not sure what it fits. The instructions from 2003 about easy oil change shows this part no. and a picture of how to install the washer but does not give its size. Another thread says it's a 12mm washer that fits the FJR.

My thought: It's probably one or the other.

My guess: It's a 14mm.

Thanks to someone in advance for listening and hopefully answering a pretty basic question. And, it's not just the FJR. I bought a Honda Accord auto and it's not clear which crush washer it uses either.

Can't you just measure the one that is on your bike?

(33 years riding, about a dozen bikes, never changed the washer, never had a leak)

KM

I visited my local Yamaha dealer yesterday to buy some of these washers, as some of the guys here on the forum say they should be replaced. The bozos at the parts counter looked at me like I was crazy. Told me to go to Auto Zone. They gave me the same look. I found some that had rubber on one surface, but havn't tried them yet. What IS the deal?

Can't you just measure the one that is on your bike?

(33 years riding, about a dozen bikes, never changed the washer, never had a leak)

KM
Yes, I can measure it when I take it off. Then I go down and maybe get one and maybe not get one. Wouldn't it be easier to have the correct one when taking the plug out? And, why does it seem to a secret? And oil change shouldn't be an all day job. I mean, it's not rocket science but it does seem like crush washers are. I don't mean to be so hard about this but you have to admit, it shouldn't be that much of a well guarded secret. Unless the person who fesses up with the answer will be shot at sunup by Yamaha, I don't see why someone can't give the answer. Again, sorry for the attitude.

I'll give credit to someone on this forum in 2003 for showing the correct way to install a crush washer. I've heard both ways but I believe the one mentioned in this forum is the correct way - flat side to engine.

I have some downstairs...will need to dig them out to get the part number however the funny thing is, I have never used them...never replaced the crush washer yet in 5 oil changes on this thing. Cars use Fumoto Valves to plugs/washers are not even in play...lemme go see what I can find.

I went and measured on that is in the parts bag. Indeed, it is 14mm (9/16").
Thank you so much. I appreciate the effort. I shouldn't come into a new forum with an attitude. It's just frustration. From what gear lube is to be used (Yamaha won't tell the specs) to little things like this. I can't' believe how little we can find out about the simpliest of subjects.

Sorry to be such a pain. Thanks for being such good guy. The FJR is a very smooth bike and I'm going to enjoy it a ton.

I appreciate the effort. I shouldn't come into a new forum with an attitude. It's just frustration. From what gear lube is to be used (Yamaha won't tell the specs) to little things like this. I can't' believe how little we can find out about the simpliest of subjects.
Gear lube? Google is your friend: gear lube site:fjrforum.com Happy reading!

I, too, have never replaced an oil drain crush washer. Nor have I ever had a leak from the drain plug.

Now, a pressurized system, like a fuel rail, that would be a different story. New washers every time it has to be opened.

Also have never replaced the crush washer and never had a leak.

Just for kicks, while visiting in Austin, TX, I went to the Harbor Freight store and bought a kit of asst'd copper flat washers which contains a bunch of all sizes, including the one that fits the oil drain plugs, for $5.99.

Folks sometimes forget that sealing is only part of the reason for a crush washer in these locations. The other part of the reason is to avoid damage to the oil pan, engine case, diff case, etc. if someone gets too heavy handed with the wrench. That aspect is defeated if the already crushed washer is re-used. (Not the case with the solid copper or aluminum ones that will tolerate repeated uses and still offer protection if they haven't been over tightened.)

This doesn't matter much if it's you doing the work and you have some mechanical empathy. It matters a lot more if it's junior barnes at the dealer that's low man in the wrench pool and he's not being supervised/trained.

And RiderJohn - If you just ordered a few from the dealer, the size wouldn't matter, would it? :rolleyes: Don't get too cheap on your new bike, it cost you a bunch of coin. The washers may seem expensive at $0.85 or so, but relative to the price of the bike? Cheap.

Well, as long as we are here on this subject, and it's such a looooong ways till DPF, let's have some fun....

2-PART PHYSICS TEST QUESTION: The Service Manual calls for a drain plug torque specification of 31 ft-lbs. So, referencing the photo at the bottom of this FJRTech article:

FJRTech: No-Hassle Oil Change

Part 1: Is there a reason (mechanical or spiritual) that the Yamaha engineers would rather you apply that 31 ft-lbs of torque to the washer on the *left*, as opposed to the washer on the *right*?

Part 2: The bike is on a conveyor belt, which moves at the same speed that the wheels turn......
icon_twisted.gif

I've always used/replaced the crush washer and never had a leak. I'll keep doing it - hope y'all don't mind.

And, W/C, the bike won't take off.

Well duh, the washer on the right has already been crushed, therefor attempting to torque to 31 ft/lbs won't serve much purpose. Once the drain plug is tight, that washer on the right isn't going to deform much more until bad things happen. :blink:

Technically, while the washer is being crushed, (left one being used), the torque is actually being applied to the drain plug, not the washer. ;)

#2 Yep, that bike won't fly. The real question is how hard to balance would it be? :yahoo: