Starcom1 Cuts out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silent

Who said FJR's don't do dirt?
Reaction score
I recently installed a Starcom1 Advanced into the ol FJR, wired it up to the Blue Sea fuse box, and ran all my cables to various components. What I have hooked up is: Kenwood FRS/GMRS with PTT switch, Garmin 2610, and an iPod (all with the proper cables). The only potential odd thing is the GPS is hooked into the phone input since it was 1 speaker only hooked into the accessory input. That may have been a bad connection at the GPS that has since been fixed.

Problem is, when I ride, any time I accellerate moderatly my music mutes for about 5 seconds. If I hold a sustained speed over say 90ish, the music is off more than it's on. Rather annoying to say the least since this is an area I'm constantly in.

Now the the first thing I did was turn the VOX off. That didn't change anything other than my voice no longer muting the iPod. If I yell into my helmet the volume goes up like it should. I've set both of the 'mic' sensitivitys to the middle as Starcom sugests, volume is about 60-75% The problem persists even when the iPod is the only item connected to the Starcom. GPS mutes the iPod as it should, and whent he iPod mutes due to accelleration, the GPS voice prompts will come thru at normal volume.

On a ride last weekend, the Starcom kicked over and worked just as it should without muting the iPod during hard accellerations. This only lasted for the rest of that 1 trip tho. Other than this problem, I can't find fault with the Starcom. Is there something I'm missing? or do I have a bad unit that needs to be replaced? Input? Advice? Dogpile?

How is it mounted?

Mine lays in the tray under the drivers seat, and every now and then apparently moves enough to loosen the connections but it doesn't happen very often.

The only issue I have with mine is I will intermittently lose one of the channels, the right one I think, it will remain gone until I unplug the headset and plug it back in. I've tried a couple different extension cords so I think it might be my headset.

Possibly static from bad headset or headset connection triggering the auto-mute. Unit thinks you are talking when you actually are not?

I suspect a faulty connection from the headset input could overcome any VOX setting.

How is it mounted?
Mine lays in the tray under the drivers seat, and every now and then apparently moves enough to loosen the connections but it doesn't happen very often.

The only issue I have with mine is I will intermittently lose one of the channels, the right one I think, it will remain gone until I unplug the headset and plug it back in. I've tried a couple different extension cords so I think it might be my headset.
Mines tucked under the seat as well, but I have checked the connectors a few times and there all good.

Possibly static from bad headset or headset connection triggering the auto-mute. Unit thinks you are talking when you actually are not?I suspect a faulty connection from the headset input could overcome any VOX setting.
Hmm.. It only happens under accelleration, and very repeatable. I was triggering the mute at 80 with just very slight throttle advances. Doesn't change by moving around, so I doupt it's the cable or headset.

Do you have engine noise in your head phones at all? A whine from the electrical system will increase in volume with rpms. It might be enough to trip the mute. Check for loose grounds and connectors.

Do you have engine noise in your head phones at all? A whine from the electrical system will increase in volume with rpms. It might be enough to trip the mute. Check for loose grounds and connectors.
No engine noise or static in the headset at all, and all connections are tight.

Ashe has it, but I will add that if the mic is getting hit with wind, this will also have an affect.
Shoi Multitec with the screen near full up. I'm not getting alot of wind.

[SIZE=10pt]Hows this? Anyone in the Bay Area care to swap out a Starcom1 for a test? Would at least let me rule out either the main unit or the headset.[/SIZE]

Did the Multitech helmet come with the chin curtain? Try putting that on and see if it stops the problem. If so, it would support Jeff and Tim's theory. I had a problem with mine cutting out also but found it to be the plug going into the unit. A couple of strategically placed rubber bands to keep them tight and the problem ceased.

i had a similar problem with mine when i first got it.

i had to turn vox on and off several times before it decided it wanted to stay off. all i really know is i had to fiddle with it for a couple of days till i got it where i wanted it.

(ps... not really sure how i fixed cause i turned everything off, back on, back off, back on, back off...etc until the damn thing worked :eek: )

Where did you get it? Jeff from bikeeffects.com is a forum member and a dealer for Starcom. Coinicidentally, he is also in Napa - not that far from you.

I recently installed a Starcom1 Advanced into the ol FJR, wired it up to the Blue Sea fuse box, and ran all my cables to various components. What I have hooked up is: Kenwood FRS/GMRS with PTT switch, Garmin 2610, and an iPod (all with the proper cables). The only potential odd thing is the GPS is hooked into the phone input since it was 1 speaker only hooked into the accessory input. That may have been a bad connection at the GPS that has since been fixed.
Problem is, when I ride, any time I accellerate moderatly my music mutes for about 5 seconds. If I hold a sustained speed over say 90ish, the music is off more than it's on. Rather annoying to say the least since this is an area I'm constantly in.

Now the the first thing I did was turn the VOX off. That didn't change anything other than my voice no longer muting the iPod. If I yell into my helmet the volume goes up like it should. I've set both of the 'mic' sensitivitys to the middle as Starcom sugests, volume is about 60-75% The problem persists even when the iPod is the only item connected to the Starcom. GPS mutes the iPod as it should, and whent he iPod mutes due to accelleration, the GPS voice prompts will come thru at normal volume.

On a ride last weekend, the Starcom kicked over and worked just as it should without muting the iPod during hard accellerations. This only lasted for the rest of that 1 trip tho. Other than this problem, I can't find fault with the Starcom. Is there something I'm missing? or do I have a bad unit that needs to be replaced? Input? Advice? Dogpile?
I believe that you bought this unit from me. If so, I support the products that I sell and wonder why you have not called me?? I look forward to your call.

I believe that you bought this unit from me. If so, I support the products that I sell and wonder why you have not called me?? I look forward to your call.
Hey Jeff. Give the guy a break! He's just trying to give us a chance to handle your customer support for you.

:)

Hey Jeff. Give the guy a break! He's just trying to give us a chance to handle your customer support for you.

:)
Quoting Odot "Fuzzyballs!!!" :)

Yep, I did buy this unit from you Jeff, don't take it personal tho, I'm the type that tries to figgure out where the problem truely lies before calling in for tech support. Ya never know, I could have been missing as simple adjustment somewhere.

I think I've chased it down to to the GPS cable. I'll have to run some tests on the way home tonight to verify my suspicions.

i want to add that when i first got mine from jeff i also had a bad cable. jeff took care of it asap and really went the extra mile to make sure i was able to get everything working.

if jeff had known from the beginning that he was working with a total idiot like me though, he might have refused to sell it to me :p

On our trip to Park City last year, OrangevaleFJR had this problem. His vox would override everything at a "certain speed" (which will not be divulged) somewhere North of 60 mph. He, Bluestreek and I would be talking on our 2-way radios and then we'd just hear Andrew's wind noise. Through the earphones, it sounded more like ambient wind noise through the faceshield or chinbar rather than wind blowing over the michrophone surface.

On our trip to Park City last year, OrangevaleFJR had this problem. His vox would override everything at a "certain speed" (which will not be divulged) somewhere North of 60 mph. He, Bluestreek and I would be talking on our 2-way radios and then we'd just hear Andrew's wind noise. Through the earphones, it sounded more like ambient wind noise through the faceshield or chinbar rather than wind blowing over the michrophone surface.
Sounds like Andrew didn't have his VOX set high enough :p All my testing so far leads me to believe that the unit has a built in microphone for ambiant noise, and the engine noise is trigering a mute instead of a boost somehow. I don't know the internal workings of a Starcom1, so it's just speculation on my part. For the time being I've got the iPod running thru the AUX and the GPS running thru the Phone jack. By bypassing the AUDIO input I can use everything, but there's no muting of the iPod when the GPS kicks in or the FRS sounds off. But at least I can hear them.

I sent Jeff an email, maybe he can help figgure something out. I'd like to try a unit swap and test to prove it's the unit or something else.