Replacing Left Crankcase Cover

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was having a senior moment when I forgot I had just kicked up the sidestand. The bike landed on its left side and scratched the crankcase cover.

Question:

what's on the other side of the cover? Is it just the generator? Any fluids? Can I simply remove the fairing and unbolt the cover?

It is part #1 in this diagram

Left CrankCover

Thanks,

-Ken

There is crankcase oil that circulates behind the cover. The stator is bathed in it so you MUST drain the crankcase oil FIRST before perfoming this job, or it will be MESSY.

I did this first and I didn't drip a drop on the pavement at all.

You also need to renew the gasket when you replace the cover. Don't skip corners here.

The stator is behind there, and when you remove all the cover bolts, be very careful to note where they go back. There is ONE bolt that is a different length than the rest. This almost made me crap my pants when I put the cover back on and thought I stripped the side out.

Also, keep in mind that the stator assembly has a LARGE magnetic pull against the side of the cover, so once all the bolts are out there will still be a lot of resistance. Just carefully pull it off. BE CAREFUL of the wire that goes to the stator.

This electrical wire is held in place inside the generator cover with a retainer with two screws. I believe they are philips head. They are in that sucker tight.

The stator has to be removed to put in the new cover. That is also held in by mega torqued star bolts.

Reassembly is the reverse of removal.

Yamaha FORTUNATELY put a couple of gasket centering devices so that it is not impossible to line everything back up with the gasket in place. THIS IS CRITICAL to having no leaks when the job is done. Triple check the gasket with the cover in place. It will be easy to run your finger over the gasket material as it is obvious if it is lined up or not.

Be mindful of the wires too that run along the length of the cover. It is VERY EASY to pinch these behind the cover when refitting the cover as the magnetic pull is VERY STRONG.

Put the wire routing holders back in the correct bolts, and remember that ONE bolt that is a different length, make sure you put that back in the right hole.

Tighten them up to 10/12 ft lbs in a star pattern and you should be good to go.

Always use a new gasket, always torque the bolts down correctly, err on the side of less torque than more on this job. 10 ft lbs should be enough.

XJRGUY

Last edited by a moderator:
ACF403.JPG

You can use one of these!! LOL!!

But seriously, once all the bolts are off, it takes about 20 or 30 lbs of force to free the cover from the magnet inside.

Like I said, don't just YANK it off, because there is that electrical wire attached you do not want to damage.

You'll feel the resistance and the cover will come off an inch before you really feel the pull.

It's really not a big deal, I was just not expecting it and now you will know what it is.

I sanded the scratches out of the generator cover and painted with Duplicolor E8899564 Import Auto Spray, Dark Gray Metallic. For masking, I cut a hole the size of the gen cover in the middle of a large cardboard panel, sprayed a couple of coats, done. Kept the cardboard mask for the next time. The color match is close enough. While not high-temp paint, it has held up fine. This is an easy, quick fix and I don't think anyone ever notices the repair. I certainly don't and I'm moderately picky.

I have thought about the carbon cover too, but it is $100+, where as a new OEM cover is only about $85. I was thinking of just getting a replacement for now, then consider having the scratched cover either chromed or polished during the winter since I'm planning to get my rims dipped as well.

Thnx for the info on the duplicolor. I was thinking about that route too. It I choice not to polish the cover, I may repaint it and just have 2 covers on hand incase this sucker gets dropped again. It sounds like quite a few folks have had the unfortunate experience of repairing their left cover.

I have the TOG's on mine. It worked in terms of protecting the fairing. Only the generator cover and mirror got really damaged. There are some small scratches on the center stand, kickstand, and exhaust. The scratches on the exhaust were small enough that I was able to remove them with a dremel+buffing wheel. I used black touchup on the center and kick stands. As for the TOG's, the bolt within did bend.

XJR, thanks again for the removal tidbit. I looked on my FJR service CD, and it doesn't have near the amount of infomation that have been provided here.

-Ken

Buy the Bikejohnny carbon fiber cover.Even with R&G sliders,a moving drop on the left can easily compromise the stator cover and make the bike non-rideable.

It is much cheaper than trip interruption and/or towing.

Trust me,I have seen it with my own eyes.

+1. A drop on a trip can hole a side case and end the trip on a flat bed truck. The armor and sliders (combo as the Avanti Kit) is a lot cheaper.

[quote=<SNIP>

XJR, thanks again for the removal tidbit. I looked on my FJR service CD, and it doesn't have near the amount of infomation that have been provided here.

-Ken

No problem. I just did my cover replacement job less than 2 months ago so it is still fresh in my mind.

Mods, feel free to add my directions to a FAQ or something. I've got a bunch that I've written for www.jag-lovers.org in regards to those cars.

I have thought about the carbon cover too, but it is $100+, where as a new OEM cover is only about $85. ...............
So is your time worth $15 !!!

Save a lot of time and get the fiber cover, it's a 20 minute install vs a couple hours to replace the cover. :rolleyes:

Wow, I didn't know the cover can be damaged to the point of immobilizing the bike. It seems to be a fairly beefy piece. I've just order a new OEM cover from Gary for under $50 (msrp=$85). That's a substancial savings, thanks Gary! Now I'm thinking of getting the carbon cover as well to safeguard from furture boo boo's.

On a similar topic, I got a nail in the rear tire last year. So I definitely know at feeling of being stranded or cutting a trip short. :(

That's a good point about saving time too.

-Ken

I need Gary McCoys phone#. It seems I had my first lay down (on the left side) in 20+ years. Made the mistake of getting on the rear brake (non-abs) on a downhill S curve. My butt has been sore ever since from me kicking it. Wasn't going very fast, so it just got the stator cover and the lower front of the side bag. Also just a little scratch on the can at the weld. Any Ideas on the self repair on the side bag? :erm:

GP

Good info.

I tried to replace the cover today but I couldn't get the stator off.

Just got back from buying torx bits that will attach to a ratchet instead of the scrwedriver I used today. Hopefuly I can get them off with a ratchet.

BTW, the stator is held in place by three T30 torx bolts. And the bolt on the cover that is a different size than oll the others as mentioned XJRGUY is on the very bottom of the cover.