winter storage

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKfjr

Reaction score
Am putting the bikes away for the winter. I have read that we are supposed to change the oil before storing and then change it again when bringing it out of storage. What about storing without oil and then filling it with fresh oil when it is time to ride again. They will be kept in a non heated but insulated building, so they will not have fast temp swings but will be down to 0 F or so.

will remove battery and keep in heated garage.

any other cold winter storage suggestions?

Thanks AKfjr

So if we were to use the 2-stroke oil to "fog" the engine, will this create any issues with the fuel injectors, oxygen sensors or catalytic converter?

I know it's not a lot of oil but as it will be left to sit for a few months, might that be of concern?

I like Jestal's idea as it would save a lot of work-not having to get to the sparkplugs to remove them and put oil in the cylinders and such. Just don't want to create more problems.

What do you think?

I too am not a believer in starting a bike and running it for a few minutes each week or month during storage.

I would not suggest leaving the bike through the winter without oil.

Oil is not only a lubricant, but also a protectant. The reason oil is put in the cyclinder for fogging has everything to do with protecting. You don't want rust forming, and the oil helps prevent that on cylinder heads and moving parts.

Personally, I change the oil at the end of the season (like in my boat), but I will run the same oil for the beginnning of the season. No ill effects. The reason for the oil change at the end of the season is to get bad oil out, which can contain moisture, which is bad for the metals.

move south.

I never winterize my bike, I ride it instead for 12 months a year.

Jestal, do you also use fuel stabiliser at the end of all that ?

I do, but could the two stroke deem it unnecessary, since it was ran through the fuel system ?

Tks dude. :thumbup:

I also use stabiliser as insurance and peace of mind.

I do that to all my toys.

:eek:k:

Thanks for the info. Appreciate your long explanation Jestal.

Bluedevil, sounds nice this time of year but I can't handle the summer heat.

Jestal,

Is there any risk running 2-stroke oil/fuel mix in a fuel injected bike?

Thanks.

PT

Thanks for the info. Appreciate your long explanation Jestal.
Bluedevil, sounds nice this time of year but I can't handle the summer heat.
That's a great (deleted) explanation.

Here's one instance where using the search tools yields disappointing results.

What's the story on the deleted content?

Is there a pracitcal way to add oil to cylinders or fog the engine? I can not find a practical way to so same. Removing gas tank and fuel pump is not an option for me. I tried to get to the air filter and stopped once I could look in and not see any practical way to spray fog oil past the air filter. I am trying to winterize for 6 months for the first time a new to me FJR. Riding is not an option during that period. I live in northern Michigan on a hill dirt road. When its not icy or snow covered it is mostly mud. I did everything but add oil to cylinders or fog engine w/o air filter in the loop. Is this step even needed with this engine? I have no pracitcal way for the local dealer to do this. Thanks

don't leave the crankcase empty, you'll get some condensation without a heated place to store. Change it out, put some seafoam in the gas tank, and clip on the battery tender. Is it possible for you to start it up once a month or so to keep the insides coated. That would help too. Me? I ride mine during the winter.
smile.png
I can't imagine living any where you can't ride for 6 months.

IMO, change the oil before storage to eliminate the used oil that may contain acidic contaminates and other undesirable contents. Fill the gas tank to prevent rusting and put in a fuel stabilizer then ensure it gets mixed into the gas. Find some way to plug the opening to the air box because the air box is a well proven perfect rodent condo. Put the bike's battery on a battery tender, not a battery charger. Maybe consider putting your bike on the center stand. Leave a clear path to the bike so you can occasionally sit on it and make zoom-zoom noises until you can actually ride it again
smile.png

IMO, In the spring, if you can get out for a ride long enough to bring the entire engine up to operating temperature and let the oil boil out any condensation and traces of gasoline you probably don't have to change the oil again. IMO, you shouldn't start the bike during the winter because you can't get it hot enough to do any real good and may provoke an over rich condition which is bad for a standing bike and can make for a very hard start later.

Here in New England I have seen many different ways to mothball a bike for the winter and I haven't seen many problems caused by any of the techniques except for the gas. I have seen rusted gas tanks when stored without a fill. With fuel injection you will have fewer fuel problems than with a carbureted bike without fuel stabilizer. Oh ya, I have regularly seen some magnificent rodent nests in many air boxes and my FJR has had a couple of nests when I didn't put hardware cloth over the air intake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was going to post up something related to this topic. I don't really plan on winterizing the bike per se because i will ride my superior Gen I near 50 with no problem.

Anyway real question is. My garage space for the bike is getting smaller and smaller. Mainly due to the fact that the vehicles we are driving are getting bigger. (my wife has a Toyota Sequoia now. She takes up at least a foot more space now. That foot less is really squeezing room for the FJR. I usually park the Ridgeline out in the driveway during the summer to have immediate access to the bike. And the kids toys, bikes, scooters, and everything else they play with in the summer.

With winter approaching, it is really tight putting the truck in next to the FJR. The Superhawk was smaller and I had a foot more room last winter

Can I put the FJR in the shed. It is a Lifetime plastic type. Not heated and could have some rodent residents.

Live with it in the Garage but deal with the really close quarters. Not heated but attached and insulated. Not going to get down below freezing.

Advice???

Thanks all.

My bike will be parked for 5 months (=/-) and what I have done in the past prior to parking it is to take it out and get it up to operating temperature, once back home change the oil & filter, top off the fuel tank to minimize any air space in the tank. (Prior to the warm-up ride I add fuel stabilizer). Clean the bike as needed, park it in the corner and cover it up.

In the past I've removed the battery, may just go the battery tender route on this one.

Once the bike is put way I wait for the snow to fall so I can put the snowmobile to good use!

Was going to post up something related to this topic. I don't really plan on winterizing the bike per se because i will ride my superior Gen I near 50 with no problem.
Anyway real question is. My garage space for the bike is getting smaller and smaller. Mainly due to the fact that the vehicles we are driving are getting bigger. (my wife has a Toyota Sequoia now. She takes up at least a foot more space now. That foot less is really squeezing room for the FJR. I usually park the Ridgeline out in the driveway during the summer to have immediate access to the bike. And the kids toys, bikes, scooters, and everything else they play with in the summer.

With winter approaching, it is really tight putting the truck in next to the FJR. The Superhawk was smaller and I had a foot more room last winter

Can I put the FJR in the shed. It is a Lifetime plastic type. Not heated and could have some rodent residents.

Live with it in the Garage but deal with the really close quarters. Not heated but attached and insulated. Not going to get down below freezing.

Advice???

Thanks all.
Get your priorities right. Put the Toyota in the shed.